Nationwide fraud prevention

Bob T

Got a letter today telling me that my account was suspended due to some strange activity. I phoned the number and sure enough some lowlife has been using my card details to buy stuff over the internet in France.

Nationwide were very helpful and refunded the £335 that had been debited and put a block on the card.

I knew that they were a good bank, but their service today was excellent.

But they would probably have needed the 3 digit security code on the back of the card.  It does make you think twice about paying by card in establishments that don't use card readers and have to pop out the back to phone the card through.

But they might well have needed the CVV number on the back of the card.  Have you for example used it in a restaurant where they may have taken the card to the till to process it rather than do it at the table?

EDIT:  Beaten to it by Cat ---again!!

I always wonder about these internet card frauds.  Due to the very nature of internet orders, there must be a delivery address, you would have thought that that alone would have the scumbags banged to rights?  Can anyone explain why this isn't so?

I opened a separate bank account with no overdraft exclusively for online shopping. A few days before making an online transaction, I  transfer cash from my Nationwide account into this account. As this account never has a balance of more than a couple of quid, any attempt at misuse would be unsuccessful. (It is also possible to open another Flex Account and do likewise.)

The only time I use this card is to pay over the internet and I then have to put in the 3 digit code on the back. It is not used very oftern. I can only assume that someone that I have paid has a rogue worker who has copied the information.

I am very happy with Nationwide, who have handled the problem very well.

Many Internet companies for the first order at least will only send the goods to the card holders address. If this rule was imposed by the card companies then surely INTERNET fraud would be dramatically reduced, as then the internet company would be made responsible for fraudulent payments not sent to the card holders address. Also many companies are now using the bank's additional authority  scheme where the cardholder has to enter 3 letters or digits from a previously agreed password before the transaction is approved. The schemes are being used in the UK, but I am not aware if they have yet been introduced in France.

Baz

[quote user="Baz"]

Many Internet companies for the first order at least will only send the goods to the card holders address. If this rule was imposed by the card companies then surely INTERNET fraud would be dramatically reduced,

Baz

[/quote]

Oh no!!  Then how could I get my undies, from M&S, delivered to my sister's house to post over here to me!!  [:-))]

Our bank, in Belfast, phoned us a couple of times when an unusually large amount was debited from our account.  On each occasion it was Mr Cat buying another guitar - but it was good to know that they spotted something a little out of the ordinary happening.

First Direct are very good at spotting unusual card use. I had a call one day to check if I had made some mistakes trying to use my card online (I had) as apparently one trick is to try and put through a very small charge to check that the card details will be accepted before the big fraudulant amount.

NW are rolling out Card Reader Security about now which will necessitate new cards for most and hopefully put a stop to any Internet fraud.

I had a similar experience a year or so ago in UK with a Lloyds debit card which had been used to buy about £100 worth of goods in a Tesco store and also a mobile phone top up but how they overcame the need for the PIN I don't know, maybe they just said they'd forgotten it and were allowed to sign instead. Tescos loss in the end as Lloyds instantly refunded the amount. The alerted me when whoever it was tried to use it for a phone purchase but hung up when they couldn't provide the correct registered address and apparently the retailer in question reported it.

Actually Baz you're quite right, it is only for Internet banking, I'd only glossed over the info on the NW site [:$]

Surely there is more pure card fraud than dodgy goings on with Internet banking so would they not have been better to spend the money on something to reinforce that side of things ?

Seems pretty worthless to me then really and liable to be as much an irritation as asset, especially when you've put it "somewhere safe" and forgotten where [:(]

[quote user="Baz"]

Natwest have been using Card Reader Security for sometime, however, it is only for Internet Banking. Perhaps ErnieY could explain how NW Card Reader is used for Internet purchasing[/quote]

Paste these details in your browser for the NW Card Reader info:  http://www.nationwide.co.uk/rca/Introduction/why.htm

We had this happen to us a few yeas back with HSBC they refunded the 2,500 pounds used on the card but I was a little miffed that they didnt spot unsual activity, in that my hubby was using the card in America on the same days as the scum was using it in the UK. I asked the card company if the people would be called to check this out  and we were told it was just claimed off the insuance and no more would be done. [:-))]OUT-rageous, as we  will end up paying for this in charges 

Just wanted to add my two penneth of praise for Nationwide and its very effective credit card security.  i was in france for the last couple of weeks. i'd notified them i'd be away and would be using my credit card there.  They picked up a miniscule transaction as being out of the ordinary originating with a well known music download site.  don't know how Nationwide pick these things up but i'm delighted they do. 

[quote user="Blossom"][quote user="Baz"]
Natwest have been using Card Reader Security for sometime, however, it is only for Internet Banking. Perhaps ErnieY could explain how NW Card Reader is used for Internet purchasing[/quote]

Paste these details in your browser for the NW Card Reader info:  http://www.nationwide.co.uk/rca/Introduction/why.htm
[/quote]

Blossom, thanks for the reference but all it confirms as I suspected, is that the reader is just for Internet Banking the same as Natwest and not for Internet purchasing as was my question above.

ErnieY, thanks for your response.

Baz