French house deeds - erm where are they?

baypond

Hi,

I am sure this has been covered before, but I can't find anything immediately under 'deeds' etc

We bought our house in June 2007, and I know this sounds silly, but I don't think we ever received any house deeds. I understood these generally took 6 months to a year after the Acte de Vente was finalised, and we would be notified once they were ready.

Before I make a silly uninformed broken french call to the Notaire, what should I have done to get these deeds, or, what should I have expected the Notaire to do?

I am hoping it may be just a quick call to the Notaire to say I can call in to collect!

Any thoughts welcome.

As far as I can recall, the notaire generally hangs onto them, I would suggest a call or visit to get a copy. We couldn't find ours and although the notaire we used at the time had retired at least 10 years ago, the notaire who took over the practice had no problems finding our deeds.

Our Notaire advised us that the papers for the property would be ready in about 6-8 months, when we contacted him after this time he said that they were still not ready, we asked for him to contact us when they were but had no notification. So we just dropped in after another 6 months (on each trip over), he then asked us to make an appointment for next time we were over and said he would make sure his office had them ready for then, eventually after about 15months total, he gave us a wallet of papers. (we never looked at them!)

My notaire (I have used the same one 4 times ) gave me a "copie authentique" of the documents we had signed before leaving his office.

The balance in my favour of a few thousand francs came by post a bit later after he had paid all the taxes etc.

I have never had to wait for these documents, they are after all only an authenticated photocopy of what ha been signed by all the parties,  but as we know things aren't uniform in France.

Perhaps something else exists that I am not aware of?

We were told that ours would be ready in 3-6 months, so next visit over I wrote ahead and said I would collect them during that visit, no problem, called in and signed to say I had taken them. Had asked to them to be posted to us but the Notaire said he wouldn't entrust them to the post.

[quote user="NormanH"]

It's in French as I am too thick to know how Clair does her Googlies.[/quote]

It might be in French but it is very written plainly and clearly so making it easier to understand. I especially love the bit where the various taxes to be paid are explained along with the following snide comment  "improprement appelés « frais de notaire »" - priceless.

Sue [:)]

I think one of the problems associated with this kind of query is that the original poster is assuming that English legal procedures for dealing with property transfer will be found in France.

As I understand it, deeds, that is documents which in themselves attest to and prove land ownership do not exist in France. What exist instead are documents which report the process of land transfer (which are interesting in themselves but of no great importance) and that the actual proof of ownership is at the land registry.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

I think one of the problems associated with this kind of query is that the original poster is assuming that English legal procedures for dealing with property transfer will be found in France.

[/quote]

Well that may be one aspect, I mean the only benchmarks I have are number 1, UK methodology, number 2, fear that because I don't understand all things French and that I may have missed something, and Three, someone told me to expect something about 6 months after we completed and I couldn't remember what I was supposed to do. But I promise you, I make no assumptions about the French legal system![:)]

I'm sorry, Baypond, if my comment troubled you, that was not my intention. What I was trying to say was simply that deeds, as we understand the term in England, and which was used in your original posting, do not exist in France. However, your notaire should provide you with a document, perhaps labelled expedition which reports the contract made between you and your sellers.

• 3 weeks later...

You will find that your notaire has them.

Sometimes the notaire will post them out to you when he / she receives them back from the various land / mortgage registration bodies they are sent off to - it normally takes a minmum of 6 months for them to come back.

I have found that they the notaires have stopped posting them out more recently - too many copies get lost in the post etc. so they tend to wait for you to contact them to ask for a copy - they will always keep the originals by the way.

At the same time they should be able to confirm to you whether you are entitled to a small refund of part of the notaire's fees. Once the various bodies have had and registered the purchase the final notaires fees are calculated and sometimes a refund is due. I received 500 euros back from my notaire - so it is always worth asking for a copy of the deeds and whether there is a refund due. It was paid into my French account directly as I gave the notaire my RIB at the time of completion.

Hope this helps.