To stay or not to stay! That is the question!

My English next door neighbour in his late seventies,is returning to live in the UK after ten years of living in France. I asked him 'why'?

It seems it is all to do with his finances. He has been living on income from state and private pensions and interest on some stocks and shares. Under the present financial conditions caused by the weak pound, he can no longer make both ends meet in France.

He has managed to sell his house, taking a hugh drop in price and in the process and has now only £115k in the bank. He has managed to find a nice Park Home on a over 50's residential site in England for £90k.

He says he will be better off in the UK, as he can get extra money with Penson Credit;,Attendence Allowance and his wife will be able to get obtain Carers Allowance as he is not 100% fit. When he has less than £15000 in his bank, the council will pay his rates and ground rent.

On top of that he is entitled to heating allowance and cold weather money. If his boiler is out of date and failing, the council will install a new energy efficient one, free of charge. He can join the local library free and also get cheap meals at the pensioners day centres.He will no longer be liable for monthly top-up health charges of Euros130.

It doesn't take a financial wizard to work out th advantages of his move. Or could he be he looking through rose coloured glasses?

Wait a minute!..........When's the next boat?

With the £ under further pressure against the euro over the last two days, he maybe making a sensible choice before his buying power deteriorates even further. Either way, at least he has made a decsion and does not have the ongoing worry about matters getting worse.

I've been in France for five years now. It is said that it is not the best place to get old in or to die in!

A funeral in France is very expensive; up to E3000.In the UK, I understand the government give you a grant of £2000 towards the costs if you have not much savings! Maybe he has got something right!

[quote user="Sprogster"]With the £ under further pressure against the euro over the last two days, he maybe making a sensible choice before his buying power deteriorates even further. [/quote]

Probably a result of the latest cut in the BoE interest rate.

[quote user="Philouis"]A funeral in France is very expensive; up to E3000. In the UK, I understand the government give you a grant of £2000 towards the costs if you have not much savings![/quote]

There is financial help available in France too if the deceased has left no money of even if the relatives cannot afford the cost of the funeral.

To me, it seems that he is leaving for exactly the same reasons they arrived - quality of life, etc. It all comes down to the exchange rate and there is nothing any of us can do about that. There are plenty who cannot afford to return to the UK, so I suppose that they are lucky - even if a park home would not be my first choice. There are plenty of places in the UK where 115K will buy a decent house - not all of them rough!

If I were in my late seventies and returning to the UK with £115,000 I would not be buying a house, with that sort of money in the bank they wouldn't have to live in a park home, they could rent something quite suitable, never have money problems ever again, even pay for private nursing if the need be.

To me why have you money in a home at a time when you need it in your pocket, s*d the children's inheritance!

But of course why live off your own savings when the government will look after you!!

I understand the dilemma.We are in the same position really but more from the psychologica side.in other words it is much easier knowing the system,in the eventuallity of one death, to be able to cope more satisfactorily etc.coupled with easy access to libraries,bus passes and in most case transport of some form-not available in rural France.Even the health service whilst not being comparabe,is at least free.a major illness or injury here will deplete already depleted income.I wouldnt even go into residential care scenarios.We are currently in this quandry ourselves.Qualityof life here is not what we expected unless drink is a major contribution or partaking of playing some form of games insomeone elses home.not what we came for.The peace and quiet expected is not even forthcoming due to the large numbers of mainly tethered dogs,chainsaws mutilating every tree to make them all look like lepers hands,and cockerells everywhere-why I cannot father as they are in the main non productive.Will hopefully return to Uk suberbia- much quieter,and more facilities.Even the uk council taxes are not all that far ahead of the ever increasing French local taxes,and here there are no facilities generally.just hope to get a reasonable offer onour house to allow an early return back.Not looking for profit just a swap for what we have wasted coming here 6 years ago.

C,est la vie. Maude

Maude,

It's better to have given the 'dream' a go rather than live with 'if only'. I was widowed some 14 months ago at the age of 53 (my husband was 55), and because we had foolishly not discussed what would happen if  one of us died I had to go with my gut instinct. ( The care he got in France was superb, and nothing was ever too much trouble. Even I got nagged by the nursing staff if I didn't eat properly. Does that happen in the U.K?) Having sold my house in Brittany last year I am now back in the U.K. I am making the best of a bad situation.

Like you I felt that the cost of living between the U.K. and France is not as great as it used to be, which was one of the main reasons for me returning. At least I thought I might be able to get a job, to supplement my income---obviously wishful thinking. However I do not feel that the time we spent in France was wasted. I never, ever wanted to be 60 and say if only............

The grass can be greener on the other side, but you must be realistic about the shade of green!!

Well we've decided not to stay.

We were entitled to claim French social security, but the paperwork became a nightmare we could not handle. To be fair the UK paperwork was just as bad - but at least we could cope with the language when the inevitable problems arose. Anything other than a 'normal' claim seemed to throw a real spanner in the works.

As with many others our company pension had shrunk quite a bit, booking were zero on our little Gite, and our small business just frazzled. Both a nudge above 60, we are now in receipt of pension credit here in the UK  - but this took quite some time to sort out. Anybody thinking of doing the same needs to be prepared for at leat 3 months wait if not more as the system here overheats with demand.

We also had a nice 'welcome home' present from those nice tax people - 5 returns to complete. Arghhh.

Hope that's cheered you all up.

Wooly Banana,  Methinks you are on the wrong track,  Maude may be depressed but doesn't drink, too many Brits seeing France through the bottom of a glass/bottle of cheap booze, well a little less cheap now with the pound so low!!!!!...