Taxe D'Habitation and TV License

Alex H

Finally after 4 years we have a taxe d'habitation demand for our residence secondaire, which includes the TV license aspect which we do not want as we don't have a TV over there.

I see that others have written to the local impots and explained and had their bill re-issued, but there is also an email address on the bill.

Whats the chance of that working? (I don't intend going back to France for a few months at least)

Wish I could say the same for the Inland Revenue.  That is, I got an acknowledgement within a few hours and then a message within a couple of days basically saying "can't help you matey" but in officialese.

TP, hope to hear from you when you are next over.  Did pm you some time ago.  Cheers!

[quote user="NormanH"]Just a point.

I thought that if a house was declared as a 'résidence secondaire' the tax d'habitation didn't include the 'rédevance' .

It doesn't in my case, but that may be because I already pay it on my 'résidence principale'....

[/quote]

possibly, if your 'résidence principale'. is also in France ?

hi

my tax habitation does not include the telivision, they must be hopeless.  I have paid the extra every year but the one before last when as has happened this year it is 0.  Last time I sorted it out by e-mail and after months received a one off demand for the extra, they refused a cheque through the post.  We are disappearing back to the UK for at least 4 months shortly and I'm concerned if I do draw there attention to it we will receive it when we are not in france and may be fined for a late payment.  I suppose I could ask them to send it to our house the uk.  I've got a good mind not to bother as its their mistake.

[quote user="bigears"]

hi

my tax habitation does not include the telivision, they must be hopeless.  I have paid the extra every year but the one before last when as has happened this year it is 0.  Last time I sorted it out by e-mail and after months received a one off demand for the extra, they refused a cheque through the post.  We are disappearing back to the UK for at least 4 months shortly and I'm concerned if I do draw there attention to it we will receive it when we are not in france and may be fined for a late payment.  I suppose I could ask them to send it to our house the uk.  I've got a good mind not to bother as its their mistake.

[/quote]

Hi;

I certainly wouldn't bother. I help people with their tax returns etc. and quite often the tax people make mistakes; if they are to the advantage of the tax office I help to reclaim, but if they are to the taxpayers advantage, and provided they have correctly declared, I advise them to say nothing. It is your obligation to correctly declare your situation , theirs to calculate your liability---you cannot be expected to do their job for them! Keep all paperwork and be aware that at some time they may realise their mistake and ask for the tax. They cannot impose any penalties if the non-payment is down to their mistake (which you can prove with a copy of the original erroneous demand).    

Hi

Just as a p.s. to all the above posts, I have just been to my local tresorie publique re: Taxe d'Habitation. The main reason being that my Taxe Fonciere was sent to the UK and I presumed that the Taxe d'Hab would also go there. Imagine my surprise however when I was told that I had nothing to pay [:D]. Now, being the cynic of all cynics I don't believe for a minute that I get a freebie on this taxe.[:(] Can anyone else tell me if they have had the same response when asking about taxes? I know that the tv license is included in the Taxe d'Hab so presumably that will turn up at some time??? As a matter of interest I din't have to pay any tax on my 2007 tax return as it was only for a 4 month period, would this have an effect on taxe d'hab?

tuppence

Check the revenu fiscal de reference (RFR) shown on your 2007 tax avis.  For four months income declared, it's likely to be under the income threshold for the 2008 TdH exoneration, so if you're also aged 60 years or over, then you qualify automatically.

A nice present from the impots.......[;-)]

hi

just to say I'm about to write to the tax people to tell them about the non inclusion of the audiovisual payment, as I stated in my last post.  They missed it off the 2006 payment but was included on the 2007.  Can anyone give me the french for 'bunch of plonkers', I can manage the rest of the french for the email.