Impot Sur Le Revenu - Acompte Provisionnel 2009

Nell

I have just got this tax  bill in the post. I looks like a one third part payment of this years tax bill based on last years figures with payment is due by the 16th February....

A few questions -

Has anyone else out there got this?

I thought I filled out my tax form in May of each year and paid my annual bill mid September, so why am I being asked to pay 1/3 up front in February?

Even more perplexing - why is this for 2009? Shouldn't my next tax bill be for 2008?

Can anyone throw some light on this - Paying 1/3 of my tax bill in advance next month does not really appeal, especially as I am still waiting for tax back from the UK from last year!!!

[quote user="Nell"]

I have just got this tax  bill in the post. I looks like a one third part payment of this years tax bill based on last years figures with payment is due by the 16th February....

[/quote]

Yes, this is normal. The first year you pay your tax bill in one go but thereafter you pay in 3 payments - the first 2 (feb and may) based on last years tax bill, but the final bill - in september - based on the tax form you will complete this may. You can set up to pay by monthly payments.

Sue

[quote user="carmelle"]no: it's for 2009 : it's an advance . it's not an error . Tomorrow , I will try to search documentary in english  about that .[/quote]

In September 2008 I paid my taxes for the financial year 2007

By September 2009 I expect to have paid my taxes for the financial year 2008

This form says 2009 - I don't expect to pay taxes for 2009 until 2010

I know it's a bill, I know I need to pay it [:D] , but it's just the date that puzzles me [8-)]

Carmelle - Thanks for your time and I hope you can find the documentry you mentioned

[quote user="Nell"]

I know it's a bill, I know I need to pay it [:D] , but it's just the date that puzzles me [8-)]

[/quote]

Well you don't really need to pay it. I always ignore them & nothing happens.

OK, you're set up to pay 2008 later this year - fine.  All that the Impots are doing is giving you the opportunity to pay some of your estimated 2009 liability upfront. For some, that's doubtless helpful, for others, forget it.

You'll get another 'bill offering' around May & you can ignore that one too, if you so choose.

If its just a matter of settling some tax on foreign income and pensions, then you may get away with it.

However the payment in three stages isn't an option. If the tax you paid last year, for 2007, was more than 327 Euros  then you are supposed to pay the same again this year in three equal installments against the  2008 liability. If you don't keep up with the installment dates they can demand immediate payments of the balance and add the traditional 10% penalties.

The actual bill will be known by the time the third payment becomes due and any adjustment is added or taken off the third payment.

If your income has fallen in 2008 you can underpay. However if you underpay by more than 10% of the actual bill then penalties can be applied.

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="Nell"]

[/quote]

OK, you're set up to pay 2008 later this year - fine.  All that the Impots are doing is giving you the opportunity to pay some of your estimated 2009 liability upfront. For some, that's doubtless helpful, for others, forget it.

[/quote]

Sorry, but I'm not following this !!!!! Are you saying they want me to pay my estinated tax for 2009 and my actual tax for 2008 all within the year 2008 ??

and yes I do have to pay it as I am above the threshold mentioned by BJSLIV

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

No its just the money for 2008 payable in 2009.

You hand over two lots of 33% of last year's payment .

They then take what you have already paid from the newly arrived  bill for 2008 taxes.

You then pay the balance as payment number three.

[/quote]

I thought that was what I said yesterday - perhaps the OP didn't understand me; perhaps I need to revisit my English usage.

Sue [blink]

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Nell"]

[/quote]
Yes, this is normal. The first year you pay your tax bill in one go but thereafter you pay in 3 payments - the first 2 (feb and may) based on last years tax bill, but the final bill - in september - based on the tax form you will complete this may. You can set up to pay by monthly payments.

Sue
[/quote]

Just to clarify I think the 3 payments arrangement only kicks in the year after your first FULL year's tax return.  We arrived here in mid 2006 and paid our taxes on the 5-6 months resident in France.  Last year (for 2007) we were not offered the 3 stage payments and paid in full in September. The letter arrived this morning demanding the one third payment.

Can anyone confirm that it is a requirement to pay in installments?  Sterling is bound to strengthen against the Euro by the autumn (fingers crossed!).

Mr Cat

[quote user="ali-cat"]

Just to clarify I think the 3 payments arrangement only kicks in the year after your first FULL year's tax return.  We arrived here in mid 2006 and paid our taxes on the 5-6 months resident in France.  Last year (for 2007) we were not offered the 3 stage payments and paid in full in September. The letter arrived this morning demanding the one third payment.

[/quote]

Our 3 payment arrangement happened just as I said in the year following our very first (partial year) return. Perhaps different tax offices function in different ways.

Sue

It isn't optional if you are likely to have a bill of more than 300 Euros. You either pay monthly or in 3 stages.

Here are  the rules for last year.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F3120.xhtml

In practice I think some offices don't go out of their way to institute this sytem of collection for people who only have foreign income. But once you are fully in the system and earning in France......

Its noticeable that there are currently a lot of comments on this subject on the various French forums. This is either because the peak numbers of Brits seeking the good life are all coming into the net together, or perhaps the authorities are being more diligent.

Thank you BJSLIV, I will amend my post in case anybody thinks I'm right and doesn't read on![:)]

Maybe people are beginning to get the message at last that their taxes are payable here, now that the healthcare issues have forced them to do things by the book rather more?  Or is it because they will probably pay less and need every centime they can lay their hands on these days?

[quote]Just to clarify I think the 3 payments arrangement only kicks in the

year after your first FULL year's tax return.  We arrived here in mid

2006 and paid our taxes on the 5-6 months resident in France.  Last

year (for 2007) we were not offered the 3 stage payments and paid in

full in September. The letter arrived this morning demanding the one

third payment.[/quote]

That's certainly how it has worked for us.

Incidentally, I strongly recommend anyone to pay online* (assuming you can cope with the French language) - you can do the on-line transaction any time (i.e. from today up to several days after the "date limite") but the debit won't hit your bank account until 10 days after the "date limite de paiement."

* with confirmation that the payment has been "received."