Online funds transfer, UK to France

nectarine

Does anybody know of a UK bank account that allows one to make a transfer, online, to one's account in France? Thrre are plenty of money brokers out there, I know, but I'm looking for a bank into which I can do my own transfer without having to go into a branch and sign forms or write letters for each transaction. I know that the first transfer might have to be set up in writing but, after that, I'd want to be able to just 'click' and transfer from one to the other. Does anybody know of a bank that could do this (PS: HSBC from UK to HSBC Bordeaux won't allow this - I had thought, being the same bank, that this would be possible, but it isn't. They require a letter for each transfer).

Thanks.

HSBC allow transfers to other banks on-line if you have an internet bank log in.  Watch out for charges though and don't accept to pay all the charges  at the UK end.

You have to set up the transfer on your account and have ALL the details of the French account available, IBAN address etc.

[quote user="Jhc"]We transfer via LloydsTSB telephone banking - it is so quick and easy once you've set it up, takes about 2 mins.[/quote]For free ?

Depending on the amounts it's still hard to beat the convenience of the good old Nationwide debit card. Draw your cash out of the ATM then walk inside the bank and pay it in to your A/C.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="Jhc"]We transfer via LloydsTSB telephone banking - it is so quick and easy once you've set it up, takes about 2 mins.[/quote]For free ?

Depending on the amounts it's still hard to beat the convenience of the good old Nationwide debit card. Draw your cash out of the ATM then walk inside the bank and pay it in to your A/C.

[/quote]

That sounds too easy ErnieY, whats the catch, the rate?

With HiFX - that's http://www.hifx.co.uk/ - after you've gone through the money-laundering stuff to set up the account - you can now do on-line transfers to your French bank using your UK bank's debit or credit card (up to at least £5k at a time I think - maybe more). You can also do it by phone if you prefer.

Quick (24 or 48 hours) and painless, and maybe a better rate than the banks (no worse anyway). You see the exchange rate that you're getting before you commit any cash. And you can save your French bank accounts details on their (HiFX's) website so you don't need to re-enter that long IBAN number each time.

No catch teapot, no charges and interbank rate - simple as that. Surprised you don't know about it.

It's what we and hundred if not thousands of others do, if they had the foresight to open a Nationwide A/C before decamping UK of course [;-)]

[quote user="Araucaria"]With HiFX - that's http://www.hifx.co.uk/ - after you've gone through the money-laundering stuff to set up the account - you can now do on-line transfers to your French bank using your UK bank's debit or credit card (up to at least £5k at a time I think - maybe more). You can also do it by phone if you prefer.

Quick (24 or 48 hours) and painless, and maybe a better rate than the banks (no worse anyway). You see the exchange rate that you're getting before you commit any cash. And you can save your French bank accounts details on their (HiFX's) website so you don't need to re-enter that long IBAN number each time.

[/quote]

Personally I stopped the transfer before it was too late as the rate was very bad compaired to several others saving £54.00 per thousand transfered, after paying a fee of £12.50 for the transfer via Thomas Exchange Global.

HIFX single transactions 5K+ is a very good service and a keen rate.

[quote user="ErnieY"]  Draw your cash out of the ATM then walk inside the bank and pay it in to your A/C.[/quote]

That's ok if you are in France. I'm guessing that maybe the OP wants to do the transfers whilst in the UK.

just to clarify - I'm in France and wanted to be able to transfer from the UK to my French bank account. Each time I do this I have to fax a letter to my bank, whereas I wanted to find a facility where perhaps the first time I need to do this in order to set up the transfer details but, every time thereafter, I could just click on my UK bank account to transfer, perhaps having my French bank account listed as a regular payee.

[quote user="nectarine"]just to clarify - I'm in France and wanted to be able to transfer from the UK to my French bank account. Each time I do this I have to fax a letter to my bank, whereas I wanted to find a facility where perhaps the first time I need to do this in order to set up the transfer details but, every time thereafter, I could just click on my UK bank account to transfer, perhaps having my French bank account listed as a regular payee.[/quote]

YES HSBC!!!!

[quote user="Jazzer"]Your reply seems to make sense, but if I read Nectarines first posting  correctly HSBC don't seem to agree.[/quote]

You can do it if you have internet access to your HSBC account.  You go into your account and get these boxes

• Recent transactions

• Statement deivery

• Previous statements

• Make a payment

• Carges & interest

• Send money overseas

• Transfer Money 

• Send me my PIN

• Standing orders & Direct Debits

• Stop a cheque etc

Its done exactly the way Nectarine wanted it, you set it up and then use it over and over again.

BUT as I said watch the chages as I had hell of a battle with HSBC who tried to charge me twice for the same transaction claiming 3 months later that they had incurred charges from the French bank which the French banlk denied making.  So its best to have the charges paid at both ends and then its clearer who is charging for what.

If you had been really quick those links might have got you into my bank account, although I was logged in at the time, I managed it[:-))] 

It opened up another window in my internet account, how weird and worrying!!  Having logged out some of those links still took me to the HSBC home page, despite the hyperlinks apparently having been removed, which they certainly have been now[:$]

I live in Cape Town and transfer money here from my UK HSBC account, but it's an expensive way of doing it.  I think one of the best ways of doing it is via one of those brokers mentioned - or set-up accounts with more than one and use the best prevailing exchange rate.