Incentive or abusive SNCF practice

On TF1 today, how SNCF incentivise(?) the controllers on trains.  I am in two minds.  One how does management know (if they do not allow this) that the controllers just sit in their booth for the journey (they will be paid anyway).  Or, does it lead to abusive practises.  I am sure we all have horror stories of using the wrong ticket, making genuine mistakes etc

https://www.midilibre.fr/2024/03/13/les-controleurs-sncf-touchent-ils-des-primes-et-des-commissions-lorsquils-mettent-des-amendes-aux-voyageurs-11823816.php

• DaveLister changed the title to Incentive or abusive SNCF practice

Enlarging the story in the Midi Libre report  - Fine of 270 euros etc

"He ultimately won't have to pay. The SNCF decided on Wednesday to cancel the fine of 270 euros imposed on a passenger of the Paris-Lyon TGV who had exchanged his second class seat with another first class traveler, reports BFMTV .

Hugues, a young passenger(in second class seat) had indeed agreed to exchange places to allow a father (in first class seat) to be next to his son (in second class seat). But that was without counting on the controllers. The conductor strictly applied SNCF rules and sanctioned the young man for not having a first class ticket. And this despite the intervention of the father of the family.

A “rare” situation
Offended by the lack of understanding of the railway company agents , Hugues decided to share his misadventure on social networks .

“No one has been wronged in the story, all the seats have been paid for, but because of two cowboys who think they are in the wild west, the SNCF is being hated even more,” he lamented on X ( formerly Twitter).

https://www.20minutes.fr/societe/4080173-20240307-passager-verbalise-avoir-echange-place-sncf-excuse-annule-amende-270-euros

20 hours ago, Harnser said:

A “rare” situation

The previous story on TF1 was of a couple, the husband bought the tickets to surprise his wife and used just his name.  The controllers made him buy another ticket for his wife, in her proper name, on the train.  No refund was mentioned in that case!

Harder than ever to support their strikes.

Yesterday, I was walking with a large group of mainly French walkers (maybe excusively French as nobody else ever seems interested) including a couple of hundred primary school children in a part of the Dordogne I have never visited.

This was part of the Grande Randonnée vers Paris as part of the JO.

I mentioned the possible strikes to some people I didn't know but were on the same walk.  There was a lot of anger (including mine) that the strikers should even consider action to disrupt the JO.

How could they have the heart to do this with the whole world's eyes on Paris and France?  This is their country that they profess to love?

On the plus side, you should have seen little kids some no older than 5 years old, turning up to walk their own little bit of the randonnée and the elderly people coming out in their salles des fête and mairies and leisure centres, dispensing drinks, refreshments, friendship and encouragement to the walkers.

• Like 1