Local Floods

There was heavy rain all day yesterday and most of the night here in the Gard.

I set off to get bread in our local town at 09.00 this morning and found most of the roads around and about us blocked.  The little stream which passes at the bottom of our ‘estate’, which is normally barely a trickle of water, was the proverbial ‘rageing torrent’, some 50m wide.  We’re totally unaffected by the way - the ground rises sharply.

Anyway, on viewing the Midi Libre website, it became apparent that two women are missing, apparently at a submersible bridge about 1km downstream from the stream close to us.  There are helicopters around everywhere.

It doesn’t sound good and there are 4 other people missing in the Gard.

I've spent most of the day so far manning the pumps. Vide sanitaire and control technique both under water. Got an alarm from my insurance company late last night advising against travel. Fortunately we had large drains installed all around the house when we arrived which normally prevent any damage internally. One of those missing was in a car found just down the road from us. Very sad but unfortunately all too common.

Funny how all three are Belgian. Was it a national holiday or something yesterday that caused them all to be out on the roads.

Currently in the middle of a massive thunderstorm. First hail now rain. Guess I'll be manning the pumps again tomorrow.

12 hours ago, anotherbanana said:

Belgian helf term.

Hope you are all safe and not too damp.

Safe, yes, but more or less confined to the house most days for months on end now.  Only venturing out for shopping for food!  And then only after consulting la météo.  

Same with washing clothes and house linen.  Très mal fringué et mal nourri!

No comparison of course with dying or  being flooded out but very depressing all the same.

Can't even walk much on rare respite from rain because all roads, never mind forest paths, are saturated, dirty and some are impassable.