electric toothbrushes

menthe

Who'd have thought a toothbrush could cost over 100€?

Just had a look on Amazon though I don't need to buy one until the brush head on my perfectly satisfactory Aldi one needs changing.  My last 3 electric brushes were all from Aldi.  Cheap as chips and last years.  Only problem is, they keep changing the brush heads and it is next to impossible to get extra brush heads to fit your particular model of brush.

I would also like to know if the "sonic" ones really work better?  Has anyone bought an electric toothbrush recently and if so, what make and model and are you pleased with it?

I haven't tried the electric toothbrush yet, but my Dentist suggested I use a jet dentaire.  So, I got a Water Pik.  What a mess !!!  Water all over the sink, everywhere.  On a low setting, it couldn't be much better than rinsing water in your mouth.  On the higher setting it makes a waterfall mess.  I just don't get it.

I'll continue to use it to see if it makes any difference.  I still brush and floss.  Not convinced yet.

Have been using an electric one since I was in my early 30s so about 40 years ago and I couldn't go back to a manual now.  It's like driving a manual car, no longer want that.

No, the water jet thingy just do not appeal.  But all those years ago, I asked my then dentist if an electric toothbrush would wear out my teeth more!  Well, they'd just come into use then and there was little information on them.  And he said no, the electric ones do the job properly and exert less pressure than you would yourself.

In the old days, there weren't battery or rechargeable ones so you had to take the charger with you when you were travelling Nowadays, one charge easily lasts a month so unless you are going on a long trip around the world, you only need to charge it before you leave and you'd still have plenty of charge left at the end of your voyage.

• Like 2

Got a new one for my birthday from hubby .. still to use it, needed different heads from the one (only one) it came with ..they arrived today .. and so I don't know what it cost ... but yes, they do seem extortionate now .. which I why I asked for one as a present .. I've also used a water jet for years  .. it takes a bit of practice, but does make a difference I find. Don't find the portable ones work at all though - not string enough to make a difference, mine is a Braun.

Philips Sonicare Daily Clean 3100, since August 2021.  4 heads for it are €29.98.    Would not go back to a manual one either.  Spoke to our Dentist who came down on the plus side of having such a machine. It makes one hell of a noise in your head if you touch your teeth with the hard part of the brush

Dentists can tell if you are right or left handed by the pressure you put on your teeth with a manual brush   - or so I was told by one.  I have never found it profitable to argue with someone with sharp tools in my mouth.

Ha! ha! Lehaut about not arguing with someone with sharp tools in your mouth!  Agree wholeheartedly with that.

There are some dentists who always insist on talking to you when your mouth is open and you are at your most vulnerable!  Fortunately, my present dentist is not one of those.

Thanks for the recommendation of Philips Sonicare model.  I think I saw one on offer in Amazon.  Thought I'd get one and then I'll have a toothbrush ready when the present head wears out on my present one.

Sometimes I do wonder if it's cheaper eventually to buy one at low cost with say 3 heads included than to go for an expensive one and spend another small fortune for extra brush heads.  Having said that, one head can last for months.  I don't change them after 6 months as recommended.  If all the bristles are still nice and straight, I keep the head until the bristles start splaying out.

Thank you again, Lehaut, for being always patient and generous with your time and advice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it only fair that I return to talk about these toothbrushes, in case someone is thinking of getting one.

Lehaut, I didn't get yours but I did get a sonic one recommended in the Telegraph.  Before I continue, I must establish that I don't normally read the Daily Torygraph but I googled electric toothbrushes and was taken to the paper.

I knew nothing about these sonic brushes so did some googling and then thought about which one.  Indeed, the new brush is fun to use and seems to do the job OK.  Can't say if it brushes cleaner than the old one but it's fine.

If buying again, I would definitely have another sonic.

Hope that helps someone.

42 minutes ago, menthe said:

Er...betise, the things that go "boom" are SUPERsonic.  I think these brushes are merely sonic (keeping straight face)

Sweet, I was using Boom as a modern idiom...

boom

An exclamation used in conjunction with a decisive or impressive statement or action
Boom! You can't argue with that logic.
Straight flush, I win the pot! Boom.

On the subject of electric tooth brushes, I have just received a new Jet Dentaire - Panasonic.  It replaces a very old Water pik.

The new one really packs a punch !!!  The softest jet stream is SOOOO much more powerful than the old Water Pik - which seemed to me like swishing your mouth with water and spitting it out (just weak to me).

The new one is alarmingly powerful.  I'll have to practice with it to try to avoid water going EVERYWHERE.

Have you guys experienced this type of powerful Jet Dentaire?  I have to be careful around certain section where there is some receding of the gum line.

It's like spraying a karcher in your mouth...

Sounds good, Lori.  I know what you mean about practising.  My new sonic toothbrush sprays the toothpaste etc all over the mirrors.  I need to learn to hold it so that it doesn't splatter everything everywhere.

Betise, I thought boom especially boom boom is what stand-up comics say as a punch line to not very funny jokes?😂

• Like 1