Well, this is a new one on me: les baïnes

Watched something about this and rip currents on French TV.  For me, the saddest thing was the lifeguards having to tell/remind parents not to let their small children going into the sea alone.  And then there are the inflatable floats in an off shore wind 🙂

I seem to recall these hollows in the sand are called "bâches" in Berck-sur-Mer - the first place that I had heard of them.  ( I don't know what they are called in English.)  And just today I read of a small child that was rescued from one by a teenager off the coast of Wales.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to be called "under-tow" in my young days,  on holiday in Dorset as a child.

But I don't remember until this year or last the phenomenon being so widely and universally called "baïnes" on French TV reports.

Another new phrase on TV reports this year seems to be "sur le quivive" with regard to the pompiers and the forest fires,   again in more than 24 years of daily watching of French TV news I don't remember that phrase cropping up.

(And another thing,   French TV have suddenly started making a point of ending reports on suspected criminals with the reminder that they are innocent until proven guilty.   My guess is that someone somewhere high up made a formal complaint about the way hitherto French TV reports could sully the name of a suspect with no stated presumption of innocence).

I digress.......

Edited by Martin963