Totesport Account Suspended

cooperlola

After 15 years of uninterrupted service, Totesport (bookmakers for those who don't know!) have just closed my account and returned the balance to me.  Has there been some financial regulation introduced that I've missed which prevents me from betting outside France?  I thought I'd heard something about accounts based outside the EU but not within it.  Any ideas?

It isn't anything as silly as  something to do with your card, not taking them anymore or your details expiring? We have had accounts with companies cancelled in the past when our cards have expired and I haven't informed them of the new card details.

[quote user="cooperlola"]After 15 years of uninterrupted service, Totesport (bookmakers for those who don't know!) have just closed my account and returned the balance to me.  Has there been some financial regulation introduced that I've missed which prevents me from betting outside France?  I thought I'd heard something about accounts based outside the EU but not within it.  Any ideas?[/quote]

Google FredBet + Tote.[:)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]After 15 years of uninterrupted service, Totesport (bookmakers for those who don't know!) have just closed my account and returned the balance to me.  Has there been some financial regulation introduced that I've missed which prevents me from betting outside France?  I thought I'd heard something about accounts based outside the EU but not within it.  Any ideas?[/quote]

Google FredBet + Tote.[:)]

[/quote]Yes, I know all about that but so far it has not affected the online site (since there are still all the contract details to be finalised.)   I log in and it comes up "your account has been suspended."  The cheque (handwritten) which  I received today just has a comps slip with it and no letter of explanation.  If this were an across the board change of contract then I would have thought there would have been a letter with it if it affected everyone.

(That would be Betfred, btw.)

The thick plottens.  This from Totesport (you have to give them 10 out of 10 for promt-ness - if that's a word.):

"I am sorry to inform you that we have been advised that we can no longer accept betting transactions from a number of countries including France

If you have changed your country of residence and can provide us with a current address that is not based in a restricted country, you will we be able to open an account"

Advised by whom, one is bound to wonder?  So back to my original question - has there been a change in legislation I didn't know about?  More protectionism and anti-internet stuff from the FG?

FredBet paid a mere 260 million for the Tote.

Apparently half was going to the government and half to the horsey industry.

I do not understand how on the BBC they say 90 million went to the horse racing industry and 90 million to the government.

Where did the other 8 million go?

[quote user="Dog"]FredBet paid a mere 260 million for the Tote. Apparently half was going to the government and half to the horsey industry. I do not understand how on the BBC they say 90 million went to the horse racing industry and 90 million to the government. Where did the other 8 million go?[/quote]According to this link the balance goes towards the company's debt and pensions

Coops .............

I asked this very same question a year ago when William Hill closed my online a/c.

It's something along the lines of the French Govt requiring any online operator to have a 'presence' in France, i.e. an office, staff and pay a levy.  WH (and others) said "rowlocks to that" because it just wasn't worth it to them. Totesport has clearly only just got round to it.

For me, it's just an irritant. A few quid at Cheltenham and Ascot was all I ever bothered with and I can now do it through my son in the UK via email.

You'd have thought that France would have bigger fish to fry though, wouldn't you?

p.s. that 'Pour Moi' was a good thing, wasn't it? Said so to No2 son before the off - he was on at 5's.