Jump to content

No more cars (with combustion engine!) From 2035


Ken
 Share

Recommended Posts

So the E.U. much to the delight of the 'greens' has banned new cars (with I.C.E.) being sold anywhere  in the E.U. from 2035. Presumably this period will give the E.U. the time to come up with another plan for all the electricity that will be needed!!

I suppose the lorries that cart the E.U. between Brussels and Strasbourg twice a year will also be converted to electricity! As the cost of this backwards and forwards is in excess of €100 million a year there won't be any saving but at least there will be zero emissions on all the trucks doing this work ( Conveniently forgetting of course the pollution regarding minerals for batteries and coal for producing electricity!!) There are going to be some wonderful electricity bills in the future!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twice a year?

Among the costs accrued by the monthly relocation, however, includes transportation for thousands of parliament officials, political groups, parliamentary assistants and freelance interpreters, in addition to paperwork that is transported by truck between the locations.

In a March plenary resolution on the EP budget, it was noted that the environmental impact is significant and stands at "between 11,000 and 19,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions" a year.

That's the equivalent of driving between 2,000 and 4,000 passenger vehicles for an entire year.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/20/eu-parliament-s-114m-a-year-move-to-strasbourg-a-waste-of-money-but-will-it-ever-be-scrapp

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Harnser said:

Twice a year?

Among the costs accrued by the monthly relocation, however, includes transportation for thousands of parliament officials, political groups, parliamentary assistants and freelance interpreters, in addition to paperwork that is transported by truck between the locations.

In a March plenary resolution on the EP budget, it was noted that the environmental impact is significant and stands at "between 11,000 and 19,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions" a year.

That's the equivalent of driving between 2,000 and 4,000 passenger vehicles for an entire year.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/20/eu-parliament-s-114m-a-year-move-to-strasbourg-a-waste-of-money-but-will-it-ever-be-scrapp

 

I thought you must have got that wrong!! Every month!!!! I have been in ignorance all these years believing it was twice a year they moved. I had to check it as it sounds so ridiculous, but you are right of course. Is there no end to the waste of taxpayers money?  No, don't answer that!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ken said:

I thought you must have got that wrong!! Every month!!!! I have been in ignorance all these years believing it was twice a year they moved. I had to check it as it sounds so ridiculous, but you are right of course. Is there no end to the waste of taxpayers money?  No, don't answer that!!!

I didn't know how often they moved, but I thought it was more than twice a year so I had to look it up.

What a ridiculous organisation the EU really is.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A battery in an electric car, lets say an average Tesla, is made of 25 pounds of lithium, 60 pounds of nickel, 44 pounds of manganese, 30 pounds cobalt, 200 pounds of copper, and 400 pounds of aluminum, steel, and plastic ....... one thousand pounds of minerals, that had to be mined, and processed, into a battery, that stores electricity ..... generated by oil, gas, coal, or water. Can anyone imagine the size of battery required in a huge lorry!!!!

I was astounded to find out that the battery in a car weighs over half a ton!!! Just how can this be a 'green' option? It's more a massive con!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My opinion on the subject of the green lobby promoting the EV above all else, is simply that they don't know what they are doing and what is worse they don't realise that they don't know what they are doing.  

What's even more scary is that the politicians take their nonsense on board 100% 

The truth about the actual range between charges of electric cars - as opposed to the wildly optimistic claims of the manufacturers.

https://ev-database.uk/cheatsheet/range-electric-car

You can have your solar panels
and your turbines on the hills;
You can use the warmth of sunshine
to reduce your heating bills.
You can dream you’re self-sufficient
as you weed your veggie bed;
As long as you make sure to keep
A diesel in the shed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The talk is always about the range of an electric car. That for me is the frustrating point. I can live with an EV but can the EV actually live with us? The pollution caused producing the components for an EV are rarely, if ever, discussed, as for the electricity, where does it come from? Do people really believe that you just plug these things in and electricity will flow without understanding where electricity comes from?

Anyway, Putin is forcing a rethink on energy; Just ashamed it takes a war to wake people up!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pictures sum it up rather nicely. Some French friends of ours have an EV. and jokingly remarked that my gas guzzling 4x4 should be jettisoned for something along the lines of a matchbox on wheels and electric. I didn't rise to it as friendship is more important than pseudo eco beliefs but I wonder if people ever think of where the electricity comes from, are they really so 'blind' or stupid?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ken said:

The pictures sum it up rather nicely. Some French friends of ours have an EV. and jokingly remarked that my gas guzzling 4x4 should be jettisoned for something along the lines of a matchbox on wheels and electric. I didn't rise to it as friendship is more important than pseudo eco beliefs but I wonder if people ever think of where the electricity comes from, are they really so 'blind' or stupid?

That reminds me of various adverts for "green" electricity suppliers guaranteeing that all the electricity they will supply you with will be "green" - of course it won't get mixed up with the nasty, dirty non- green stuff at all!

Gullible doesn't begin to describe it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EthanKlein said:

honestly electric was bound to happen eventually we cant keep killing the planet

Perhaps you could expand on what you term "killing the planet" and how driving an electric car is going to stop us killing the planet?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Perhaps you could expand on what you term "killing the planet" and how driving an electric car is going to stop us killing the planet?

 

global warming obviously....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think we can "kill the planet".  What we are consciously doing is deliberately making the environment on earth unsuitable for the current inhabitants, be they human, plant or animal.  The planet will continue on its way regardless.  When the sun eventually goes super nova, that will kill the planet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lehaut said:

I don't think we can "kill the planet".  What we are consciously doing is deliberately making the environment on earth unsuitable for the current inhabitants, be they human, plant or animal.  The planet will continue on its way regardless.  When the sun eventually goes super nova, that will kill the planet.

You seriously believe that mankind is consciously and  deliberately making the planet unsuitable to live on? You surely don't believe that! Just a poor choice of words perhaps?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Lehaut said:

What we are consciously doing is deliberately making the environment on earth unsuitable for the current inhabitants

Greta Thunberg could achieve that goal single-handedly.  She is, as I type, preaching to the converted at Glastonbury.  Both are made for each other. 🤮

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Will we be able to produce predictable climate change, and a stable climate, by adjusting, at the margins, one human caused variable, namely carbon dioxide emissions, out of the millions of factors, both natural and human, that drive climate? 
The answer has to be: "Definitely not" 
This is the tipping point at which the complex science of climate diverges irreconcilably from the central beliefs of the 'global warming' myth. The idea that we can manage climate predictably by adjusting, minimally, our output of a politically-selected gas is both naive and dangerous.
The truth is the opposite. In a system as complex and chaotic as climate, such an action may even trigger unexpected consequences.

It is vital to remember that, for a chaotic, coupled, non-linear system, not doing something (i.e., not emitting gases) is as unpredictable as doing something (i.e., emitting gases). Even if we closed down every factory in the world, crushed every car and aeroplane, turned off all energy production, and threw 4 billion people worldwide out of work, climate would still change, and often dramatically.

If you want to read up on what is really going on, from a scientist who uses measured data, not climate models, try this.

It's a long dry read with a lot of formulae, graphs and charts.

The State of the Climate 2021  Professor Ole Humlum

Ole Humlum is former Professor of Physical Geography at the University Centre in Svalbard, Norway, and Emeritus Professor of Physical Geography, University of Oslo, Norway.

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/2022/04/Humlum-State-of-Climate-2021-.pdf

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The climate has been changing since the dawn of time. I see no reason why that should, would or will change. I don't contribute to the theories concerning change; the weirdos can believe what they like. I can only agree with factual events. I firmly believe the whole argument regarding climate change is confused by the increase in pollution, people seem to have difficulty in separating the issues. Pollution is the biggest threat to mankind, not climate change. Which brings it back rather nicely to where does all the electricity come from the 'eco mob' thinks will save the world; a switch on the wall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...