SAAB 95 estate 96 saloon, I had a 95 that would seat 7 with a fold down seat in the rear. You could drive in fixed or freewheel depending on road conditions, there was a lever in the cab to the gear box that could disengage the fixed wheel drive(those were the days). In the UK if the car is not fitted with this it is totally illegal to coast, not sure in france though. 

Charlie.........

You can freewheel for short distances without doing any harm to a car or van, but with those old cars the key phrase was this "........but disengaged the gearbox from the axle on the overrun "

If you freewheel too much in a short space of time or for too far you will damage the gearbox as it will not lubricate itself and the short term gain could be long term pain[:(]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

You can freewheel for short distances without doing any harm to a car or van, but with those old cars the key phrase was this "........but disengaged the gearbox from the axle on the overrun "

If you freewheel too much in a short space of time or for too far you will damage the gearbox as it will not lubricate itself and the short term gain could be long term pain[:(]

[/quote]

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Every gear box I have ever worked on has been partially filled with oil, independently of any other component and has been "splash lubricated", now obviously some hi tech motors have gear box oil pumps but they are, I suspect, not the norm and I suspect the said oil pump is driven by rotation of the gearbox.

When you coast or freewheel, the gear box mainshaft is not being driven by the engine, ie in neutral or clutch disengaged. The gear box is of course still connected to the driven wheels via the diff but I am at a loss to understand how a splash lubricated box can be damaged by being turned in its normal direction of rotation. Perhaps you could explain for my further engineering education.

Wooly,

When a car is in neutral and not moving, the gearbox is not being turned even when the engine is running, or rather the gearbox output shaft is not being turned. The main input shaft is in fact turning but the gears are not selected.

When you declutch you physically disconnect the engine from the gearbox allowing the gears to be selected, the synchromesh "cones" spinning up the layshaft to match the mainshast, when the clutch is released the engine drive is "solid " through the gear shafts to the propshaft then the diff then the wheels.

When coasting in neutral, the wheels are rotating and driving the diff and hence the propshaft and the layshaft. The mainshaft is, assuming the clutch is not depressed, still being rotated by the engine at low rpm, but not "meshed" with the layshaft.

When going back into gear after coasting, the clutch is depressed to take drive away from the mainshaft and allow the synchro to link the main and layshafts.

IMHO the lubrication argument is false because the gearbox gear and bearing lubrication is continuous as long as anything is turning in the box because the gears, shafts and bearings are in the oil or are being splash fed.

The above is of course a gross simplification given the increasing complexity of modern gearboxes, but is, I believe correct in principle.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]If you freewheel too much in a short space of time or for too far you will damage the gearbox as it will not lubricate itself and the short term gain could be long term pain[:(][/quote]What a load of nonsense Ron, go and hang your head in shame [:'(]

Apart from automatics the one and only car I have ever head of that could potentially have it's gearbox damaged by freewheeling, or rather the equivalent, i.e. being towed without the engine running and turning it or by prolonged coasting, is the Triumph TR7 because it had a pumped oil system, not just immersion/splash.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]If you freewheel too much in a short space of time or for too far you will damage the gearbox as it will not lubricate itself and the short term gain could be long term pain[:(][/quote]What a load of nonsense Ron, go and hang your head in shame [:'(]

Apart from automatics the one and only car I have ever head of that could potentially have it's gearbox damaged by freewheeling, or rather the equivalent, i.e. being towed without the engine running and turning it or by prolonged coasting, is the Triumph TR7 because it had a pumped oil system, not just immersion/splash.

[/quote]

The advice I gave was based on the recommendation that rear axle drive shafts and/or carden (prop) shaft should be removed from any rear wheel drive vehicle having a front suspended tow of over 3 miles, so as not to damage the gearbox.  Perhaps that only applies to rear wheel drive vehicles, heavy lorries and buses,  if it does not apply to modern cars then I apologise for any misinformation.

Found this post on the UK Pajero/Shogun owners club forum:

When towing an automatic, you don't trail the driving wheels or you'll damage the transmission, even on a short journey. This means that a (broken down) 4WD auto should be recovered on a flat-bed, not towed. Where this is not possible, I have known the driveshafts to be disconnected, tied out the way, and the vehicle towed. But that would be at your own risk.

If yours breaks down, in order to prevent a longer wait, let the Recovery firm know that you have a 4WD automatic, when making the initial call.

Quite so SD and just as valid now as then.

Are there many FWD automatics these days, and I don't include variomatics which employ a belt and variable pulley system?

For what few there may be I would imagine that, for all intents and purposes, they are untowable unless suspended.

PS: What's any of this got to do with diesel any more [blink]

I would like to know the average price of diesel in France - trip booked for beg. July.

If it makes people feel better, diesel in Wiltshire is £1.27+ per litre.  That's the cheapest I have seen it here.

We won't be helped by the exchange rate on our next trip, but it is still more expensive here than France.   It usually is.   I suppose there is plenty of it around - truck drivers here are not like the French ones.  That's why we pay more.  Greedy Gordon needs - or wants the extra he's getting at the moment.

Regards

Tegwini

Did you see that you can filter the results by fuel brand and town fro any given departement?

You can also register with the site and keep a list of favourites petrol stations so you can keep an eye on the prices?

Thanks Clair

Presently looking at it - but it is a bit scary - it's not that long ago when I paid 34p per litre.   The roads seem a lot quieter in southern Wiltshire- perhaps people are starting to stay home more. 

France is still cheaper by about 11p per litre,  and sterling's depreciation has partly caused this.  At Christmas time the difference was about 20p.     Greedy Gordon is not helping here.

Regards

Tegwini