British Food/Farm Shop near Apremont

That's why I think they may have trouble making the business pay. There are a few things I would buy (mushy peas being one - I must admit to eating them cold with fish fingers) and a few which seem idiosyncratic. (I've just realised how idiosyncratic the mushy peas comment is!) Perhaps they are things which someone has requested?

Crumpets? Well, the fish'n'chip van that goes to Mortain has those. Well past their sell-by date, but that may mean that they have been bought in bulk and frozen. Hey, I'm feeling charitable this morning...

[quote user="Just Katie"]Many on the supermarkets seem to have a British shelf these days. I did not realise people still used Oxo Cubes [blink][/quote]

Yup, I do. Beef, chicken, lamb, vegetable - the lot. Used some when making a shepherd's pie yesterday. Though to be honest that was 50/50 liquid Oxo and French saveur de cuisine stuff, you know the Maggi stuff in the little bottle that always goes gunky round the top.

Some of the things do seem bizarre dont they especially when there are equivalents in French. I too buy crumpets and beg people to bring them out for my son who adores them! Ive tried to make them but 'Mummy they just dont taste the same' about sums it up lol.

I like English sausages for making sausage rolls and scotch eggs, the French sausagemeat is too meaty, whereas the English ones have more cereals and rubbish in so are smoother.

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Just Katie"]Many on the supermarkets seem to have a British shelf these days. I did not realise people still used Oxo Cubes [blink][/quote]

Yup, I do. Beef, chicken, lamb, vegetable - the lot. Used some when making a shepherd's pie yesterday. Though to be honest that was 50/50 liquid Oxo and French saveur de cuisine stuff, you know the Maggi stuff in the little bottle that always goes gunky round the top.
[/quote]

Do they contain additives these days?

I find the Colemans packet sauce mixes very good for throwing a pot of something or other together.  They only contain spice, herbs and a bit of cornflour

[quote user="cooperlola"]Do people really miss these things that much?  Hellman's Mayonnaise?  Crumble topping mix? Flour? What is that about?[/quote]

I was a fan of Hellman's Mayonnaise. I like mayonnaise without mustard and that is difficult to find here. We have found one but it is not as nice as Hellman's. Hellman's mayonnaise had few additives and kept in the fridge for three months (if it lasted that long)

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Ingredients in Oxo:

Wheatflour, Salt, Cornflour, Yeast Extract, Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Guanylate), Colour (Ammonia Caramel), Flavourings, Beef Fat, Autolysed Yeast, Dried Beef Bonestock, Sugar and Onion Powder.

Yum.
[/quote]

Ah Bless!  I just had a vision of you Dick, on a stool and rummaging through your highest cupboard looking for an Oxo box. 

I'm happy to use bouillon cubes or powder rather than Oxo cubes, and never, ever use packet sauce mixes (that's not a sly dig aimed at people who do BTW, it's just that now that I'm no longer a working girl I have the time and the inclination to make most things from scratch).

I do like to have a tub of Bisto gravy granules lurking in the pantry though, cornflour has its uses, but sometimes only Bisto will brown, thicken and season in the way that I know and love.

Leader Price sell crumpets, don't they?

I use some Scwarz packet sauces (Parsley, over steamed smoked haddock, Bearnaise) and also packet custard - but that is because it's the only way I can easily get sugar-free.

I agree about Bisto - just a dessertspoon or so can enrich sauces. Food purists will now be having kittens...

Absolutely Clair, the best by a long shot.  I spit roasted a farm chicken for lunch, and smeared the skin with Marigold mixed with a tiny bit of melted butter.  I stuffed some lemon slices, twigs of rosemary, thyme, sage leaves and bruised garlic cloves into the cavity before impaling it on the spit.

We ate it with home-made coleslaw, jacket potatoes and salad, and it was fabulous, and there's enough left for a cold chicken salad tonight, and soup or curry tomorrow, as well as enough juices to make loads of stock to freeze for something chickenish in the future.

That was 7,50 € well spent!

I think it would depend on which area you are in, but I have definitely bought crumpets at our local Leader Price in the past.  They were stocked on the same rayon as the ready to bake bread, ryebread,  pitta breads etc.  Someone should confirm this though, as I might be having a senior moment [:(]