Old kitchen Units?

Hiya All

We have just completed our house purchase in Marciac, and have found that even the kitchen cupboards have been taken! Does anybody know where I could find some 2nd hand ones, or cupboards to make do for the time being. I don't want to rush into deciding what kitchen cupboards I want just yet. I have tried a few local Brocantes, but they seem to just have antique items.... Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks Dee

Hi

Have a look at the small ads posted up in your local supermarket[s] and also in the local paper - whole kitchens are often for sale and often a few odd units. Sometimes they seem cheap, sometimes they appear expensive but there are always quite a few advertised in our area.

Sue

We managed with a 'made up' kitchen for perhaps 6 weeks.

I would have resented paying out for something that was going to be binned shortly afterwards. Like you I searched Brocantes etc and found nothing suitable

After a week of fruitless slogging round shops in high temperatures I bought some of that cheap pine shelving for storeage (that shelving is now used in the barn). Perishable food was stored in tins on these shelves. For a 'counter'/work top we used a huge stack of parquet flooring, which made a counter 6ft long and over 2 ft wide, but before that arrived we used boxes full of books with a few planks of wood on top, covered with a piece of the bright plastic you get on rolls here.

These temporary solutions worked but only because we didn't unpack everything that was going to end up in the kitchen We kept it very simple and I'd say the majority of kitchen items were not unpacked until the kitchen was 'in'.

Good luck[:)]

hello

we are not too far from you, and I would search the 31 and the 32 local free papers, also the la Depeche on-line small ads, and try paruvendu on line and free papers.

Then there are a couple more online called Kitrouve (also a free paper) and Publi (ditto)

I would heartily recommend the back of supermarket small ads and the local tabacs etc, plus outside the Mairie etc.

Finally what about Emmaeus if there is one near you.

Of course in the current weather who needs a kitchen!

I will look and send a private message if I spot anything, meantime.

Good luck!

It's also worth looking at the website of Troc de L'Ile

(http://france.troc.com) where you can search for specific items in

different stores - though they never list everything so it may be worth

visiting your nearest one to browse.  Have just tried for kitchen

units (in English and French) in the Gers and environs, and nothing

came up  - hard to believe as the one outside Tarbes and the one

outside Pau (Lescar)  always seem to have some.  So it would

probably be worth a trip, but the site will at least tell you where

your nearest stores are, and the PagesJaune will give you the addresses.

Val

Thanks so much for all your prompt replies! I will certainly look in the local supermarkets (hadn't thought of that), and all the other places you have mentioned. And Yes we were kindof expecting the kitchen units to be there, but I am not sure if there was anything legally binding to say they were included in the sale, as it wasn't exactly a 'fitted' kitchen that they had! Cheers Dee

We bought a couple of the cheapest base units and worktops from Castorama ( but Brico Depot, Mr Bricolage, et al. have similar); when the new kitchen was in, I used them to convert part of the garage into a utility room. From memory they cost about €80 in total.

We found a long set of base units (about 8 ft) complete with sink and work tops in our local Troc de L'Ile. We used the carcasses, re-arranged as we wanted them, changed the doors, and put tiles on the old top. I had already bought a french style ceramic sink - a cheap kitchen!

[quote user="southwestgersdee"] And Yes we were kindof expecting the kitchen units to be there, but I am not sure if there was anything legally binding to say they were included in the sale, as it wasn't exactly a 'fitted' kitchen that they had! Cheers Dee[/quote]

I should check your paperwork seeing as you do not seem 'sure' what you have bought!

I am walking away and shaking my head now.[8-)]

[quote user="Opas"]Were you under the impression that the kitchen was included in the house sale? if yes then I should think about speaking with your notaire.[/quote]

Opas - serious question time. When you buy a house here is it usual to list what is included or what is not ?

Thanks

John

not

we certainly reiterated verbaly at the notaires as to what was included in our sale, as we will be next week when we sign for another property.........no worries about kitchen units there, there isn't a kitchen to speak of!  We have been to the Maire(for plan de cadestral) to the immobliers(for them to contact the sellar) to the notaire(for her to double and thrice check) that the land infront of the new to us(200 year old) house we will be signing for is ours.

Why would someone be under the impression something was included unless the impression was  given, sorry to be pedantic, but the first thought in my head was that , the writer "thought" they were included.

Hiya All, I am pleased to report that we have today found a 2nd hand kitchen (from a couple who are taking theres out) discovered over lunch would you believe! Thanks so much for all your time and responses. And Opas I am SURE of what I brought just presumed think that the 2 free standing double units would stay. Thanks again folks. Dee

• 2 weeks later...
I understand Dee! In the UK you are not allowed to remove fitted kitchen units. In France, if they are not included in the sale they will be taken, along with light fittings and bulbs, loo paper etc etc! If you want something left, you have to include it in the 'compromis'!