Cahors restaurants

Last time we passed through Cahors we noticed an Indian takeaway and a Chinese restaurant - has anyone tried them and can you recommend them?  Just in case we need the occasional chilli fix when we move in...

What about other restaurants in the area?  We know Gindreau and La Recreation but our 'more rustic' (i.e. cheaper and heartier) restaurant experiences have been further north.  Any recommendations will be welcome.  Much as I like cooking, I don't want to have to do it EVERY day!

Sas

I've eaten at the chinese restaurant (can't remember the name, but it's something odd like le omo, or gnu) and it was Ok.  Not perhaps chinese as we know it in the UK, but tasty nevertheless.

As for other restaurants in the area, La Casserole in Salviac has menus at 21 and 26 euros, and is very good.  Also the Abbey Nouvelle (between Gourdon and Salviac), especially in the summer when eating on the terrace.  Another favourite is on the road between Cenac and Sarlat, on the left hand side, just past the huge shop selling garden pots.  It's the Pres..something or other, sorry I can't remember the actual name.

For something a little cheaper, the Auberge sans Frontière at Degagnac is always worth a visit. Or L'Oasis, near to Espere is good for morrocan/algerian food.

For a really cheap, traditional type meal, the Auberge du Quercy in Salviac serves a four course set lunch during the week for 11 euros (including all the wine you can drink).  It's where all the locals eat,  is lively and fun, and very welcoming.

Hope this helps.

I think the Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant is called Chez Ngo, although I think 'gnu' is better! Never eaten there but have heard it's OK. Despite its name we have been to 'Curry Brian' a number of times. Really high quality, good food, highly recommended. L'Oasis is in Nuzejouls. We also like L'Auberge in Catus for spanish-influenced local style dishes. 

Happy eating!

Jane 

If you mean the Indian at the bottom end of the Bd Gambetta don't bother - I ate there on one occasion but never again. Can't remember the names of others in the same area - suggest you select any one of them that is busy.

How far N will you go ?

John

not

Cat46 wrote

"Another favourite is on the road between Cenac and Sarlat, on the left hand side, just past the huge shop selling garden pots. It's the Pres..something or other, sorry I can't remember the actual name."

That would be Les Pres Gaillardou, about three minutes from my house.

I agree about the Auberge de Quercy in Salviac - it's where I take visitors for a genuine French experience.

Hoddy

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

I think the Indian at the bottom of Bld Gambetta has closed down now.

Jane

[/quote]

From what John-not-Di says it sounds just as well!

We also used to go to Chez Silvestre at Bouzic, but Mme Silvestre dealt

out such hearty portions that for the sake of the car's suspension,

we've not been back for a while!

When we eventually move in we will be half way between Souillac and

Cahors. We've noticed lots of restaurants around that we haven't tried

yet, chilli fix apart (OH is going to brush up on his Indian cookery

skills).  There are two on the N20 just north of Cahors - La

Garenne and I can't remember the other one.  There are a couple on

the back road to Rocamadour in Logis (At Cales??), there's another

Logis at Pont de Rhodes and then there's the Pheasant Plucker's (what's

that???).

All your comments and suggestions are very welcome.  Maybe one day soon we'll meet some of you in one of them!

Sass

(PS Jane, I've sent you a PM on another subject)

We live close to Salviac so will try out the Auberge de Quercy.  We also like the Morgues in Peyrille, we paid 12 and a half euros each for a 4 courses and wine.  The food keeps on coming!  and good.

Has any one tried Cafe'-restaurant de la Terrasse in Grezels? it has been highly recommended by freinds but as yet we have not managed to grace them with our presence.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We have eaten at the Indian at the bottom of the hill, Gambetta, Cahor and have to say it was a lovely meal.  We have only done this the once and it was just like eating at an Indian in the UK.  Didn't like the fact that you could smoke inside, but thats my problem!

The meal was really nice though, Nann bread lovely and my son adored his Chicken Korma and my Lamb Biriani was lovely.

I did go the the Chinese off the roundabout, by the Irish pub.  It was a nice Chinese, but I have had better.

Hope this Helps.

Lavender

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

...Despite its name we have been to 'Curry Brian' a number of times. Really high quality, good food, highly recommended. [/quote]

Sorry to drag this old thread back up again, but I wanted to post to say thank you to Jane and Danny.

I had to go into Cahors on Saturday, and remembered that someone had posted about an oddly named Indian restaurant.  I found this thread again, and decided to try out "Curry Brian" on the strength of the recommendation given by Jane and Danny.  I wasn't disappointed, great food, really tasty, and quite the nicest onion bhaji I've eaten in a very long time.

I'll certainly be going back, thanks Jane and Danny [:)]

• 3 months later...

Hi Sunshine

You must give La Terrasse a try (Grezels).Its our nearest restaurant and the Sunday lunch is superb.No choice , everyone eats the same 7 courses and the wine is included . Allow yourselves 3 hours from sitting down to staggering out!!!!

I think it was around 25 euro's last time we went.

Just a couple who run it , madam in the kitchen and Serge ( I think thats his name ) waiting tables.

Hello,

It's the first time I've been here for AGES!  And look what has been revived. 

Quick question - where exactly is Curry Brian?  We're getting really good at making our own (not me blowing my own trumpet but we have been complimented), but fancy a curry elsewhere sometimes.

Sass

• 2 weeks later...
The Restaurant you mean is the Pre Gaillardou, where the Chef Patrice created imaginative dishes and also was an ace jazz pianist. However, the restaurant has now been sold and the once imaginative fare now somewhat simplified to Perigord Specialities.

All is not lost, for not far away is the Hotel Du Perigord, where you can find interesting, well-prepared and imaginative food