I overheard a Scotish person who works for a local estate agent tell a English person that they were not really wanted anymore as the Irish were coming and they have a lot more money to spend. I didn't really think much about this until I noticed that my neighbour had just increased his house price from 200,000€ to 232,000€ and it was only put on the open market 6 weeks ago. I asked him why and he said the agent (not the same one) had told him to because there were loads of Irish with loads of money coming to the area to buy second homes.

Well if anything we won't have the French complaining it's the Brits that are putting up the house prices.

PS. I don't suppose they have lurchers, box and lay tarmac and sell lucky heather  and cloths pegs by chance(oops sorry wrong thread, never a 'Patraig' around when you want one).

[quote]Looks like we're in for some fun! Do you think they will be coming on the forum? Christine[/quote]

Actually thats a very good point, I wonder if they know if we exist? Come to think of it I don't even know if the magazine is sold in Ireland, if not behaps it's a opertunity not to be missed by LF.

Funny that this topic should come up…..  We had lunch with our neighbours last week and they too were saying that the number of English looking for houses was down but that the Irish were moving in.  Perhaps that is why they voted NON!

Brian 11500

Did,nt we talk about this the other week Chris!  Heard a rumour from somewhere, possibly the builders up the road, said about going to Carcassonne and it was full of Irish.  Checked Ryanair site and they only fly from Dublin to Carcassonne or Girona.

Sailing a bit close to the wind mentioning tarmac and clothes pegs... Already been down that road (no pun intended) and remember the uproar that caused!

Saol fada chugat

Terry

I was only telling someone the other day that a huge amount of enquiries to rent my house had come from people in Southern Ireland.None of them could actually book though because unfortunately every last one of them asked for weeks that were already taken!

Hello??  We're here already.  It's just that unless we are acting like something out of Darby O Gill, you Brits think we're actually British.

France has always been a favourite holiday destination for the Irish (when I was a kid in the 80s, camping in France was extremely popular) and lots of us have emigrated here, whether through necessity or through choice.  I know Irish people living in towns scattered over the Rhone Alps for a start, and there are quite a few on the forum already.  Perhaps it is just that there is a French property show going on in Ireland that it has come to your attention...  Plus, despite the fact that Ryanair are an Irish company, they don't do a lot of non-UK connections from Ireland.

In any case, there are only 4 million of us in total - there's no way we can push up the price of property up in France, so it's ridiculous to think that even an increased interest from Irish buyers will push up prices in such a large country.

However it will be interesting to see if even a perceived increase in number of Irish buying maisons secondaires will change the French attitudes towards us.  When people ask if I am English and I tell them I am Irish, they give a big smile and say, Ah, much better 

The Sunblock sales will be up , I should know I have one of the little fair skinned people of my own and she goes though bottles of the stuff....keep on telling her she should be putting it on her skin!

mrs O

[quote]Hello?? We're here already. It's just that unless we are acting like something out of Darby O Gill, you Brits think we're actually British. France has always been a favourite holiday destination f...[/quote]

All I can say is WELCOME.  I already said on here somewhere how much the French love Ireland and the Irish.

Will you be adopting any dogs?!

All the best, Christine

http://animalaidsaintaubin.monsite.wanadoo.fr

Memo to Chris,,,

Irish imported taupes dig faster for less worms.

Was going to ask if your place has been underpinned (in French), but my daughter is not here to translate, Doh!

I know we are not supposed to advertise,   but any French to English translation PM me!!!!   Albeit with a Canadian accent,,,,

Terry (11&99)

We live in the Republic of Ireland, have 3 lurcher dogs, a camper van, we grow our own potatoes, and we have a house in France.....BUT we are English.

We moved to Ireland 9 years ago because the English beauraucrats kept asking us for our hard earned money.  Possibly one of the reasons the Irish are buying in France is the massive increase in house prices in and around the cities here.  Also the fact that people could buy (and did buy) houses in Ireland for 5,000 punts 15 years ago (that's why we have 2 here) and could now be worth 120,00 euro enabling them to raise money.  There has also been heavy advertising on buying properties in France and Croatia via conventions held here regularly.  Also, not to mention the fact that the Irish have no residential Council Tax or Water Rates, which all adds to disposible income.  Horse drawn carriages and caravans have not noticeably increased in value, so the owners of such will not, we feel, be seeking properties in France!

Fancy that then..the cheek of us Irish wanting to move to France and what an even bigger cheek if we,ve been here for years already...how many pegs did my house cost me

Very true the French prefer the Irish

Janey

It is a well known fact that anybody here in France who speaks English IS English don't you know.

My wife was born and bred in Zambia, her family going there in 1820 and speaks perfect English due to a good school in South Africa, has a British passport due to marriage (not me) and still everybody she meets here makes the arrogant assumption that she is English.

We both suffer from this as I am a Scot but it does come in very handy at times with the French as it enables us to duck any problems concerning les Anglais!

I remember a few years back at the passport control in calais, the quare lad checking the passports said after seeing our Irish passports "The Irish are our sisters" and never looked inside them and shook me hand and wished us a good holiday.

When me French neighbours realised we were Irish, they really accepted us more and now take great delight in slagging off and laughing at the Anglaisies in our company (not that I agree with that sort of thing)

As has been said, we've been here for years ... just we keep a low profile!!  It is VERY interesting when I correct the French and say I'm Irish not British .. breaks down barriers a lot quicker!!!

It's great to see some friendly faces coming off the flights into Carcassonne ... the region NEEDS more tourism and until that issue is dealt with the region won't move forward!

Let's face it; the French, Scot's, welsh and Irish like each other only through their mutual jealousy of the MIGHTY ENGLISH!

Bore on!

Northerners don't like southerners - southerners don't like northerners. I'm from Manchester and I don't like scousers and they don't like me. But having said that I don't like city fans, having said that I don't like people from south Manchester....But south mancs, city fans and scousers are all northerners....and some united fans live in south Manchester...hmmmm.

Semi seriously though, I think it'll be nice to see some Irish over here lording it up over the English credit-carders with their luverly green euro's! Somewhat ironic. 

Good. Everybody else is here. Why shouldn't the Irish take one of the few corners still available. Mind, if they have to wait as long as hergoodself and me had to wait to get a 'phone line brought to their house, it will be a long while before LF will need to create a special 'Irish' Forum.

PS: It's quite good here. But is does take some getting used you. You need to be prepared to wait, and you also need to have some good friends, (ideally based near Perpignan with a view of the 'Med' from their terrace), to boost your morale when you think nothing will ever happen on the day its promised. You also need a high tollerance threshold for moles, which unfortunately seem to have found their way to our place from your garden, Chris.

[quote]Let's face it; the French, Scot's, welsh and Irish like each other only through their mutual jealousy of the MIGHTY ENGLISH! Bore on! Northerners don't like southerners - southerners don't like no...[/quote]

AND Cornish

[quote]Actually thats a very good point, I wonder if they know if we exist? Come to think of it I don't even know if the magazine is sold in Ireland, if not behaps it's a opertunity not to be missed by LF.[/quote]

Yes, Living France Magazine is available in Ireland... also there is a property show in Dublin 26-27 June http://www.livingfrance.com/lvfra/content/article.asp?ArticleID=185

If you ever can't find Living France in the shops call 020 7633 3300 (UK) and they should be able to help or take out a subscription and have it delivered to your door around the world. http://www.livingfrance.com/lvfra/content/article.asp?ArticleID=70 

Hey Forum Admin

there is a post by Ian_s which is scrolling to the bottom all the time and its a duplication from the original position back on page 1.

Whats that all about?

Can anyone else see it or is it an anomaly to my connection. If its there for other why has the moderator deleted it?

Andrew

Andrew, lay off the coffee. There's nothing there.

Oh hang on - there it is! Conspiricy!!

( I was going to say: Andrew lay off the coffee mate...then I got all freaked out by the fact that I can't express myself without referring to a brandname...a post modern existential nightmare...then I started musing on the validity of the term 'post modern' - which can be defined but whose definition cannot truly be supported...then I realised that I need to lay of the coffee, mate. )