Christine,

I would imagine that it was built 1940ish or a bit later, but don't take my word for it. Could be a bit earlier.

Yes, when I do plums the stones come out and float. I suppose cherries should do the same, but do you want really mushy cherries before you put them in a pie? When making jam, some people boil the stones to get pectin out of them to help the jam set. I cheat and buy jars of pectin.

David 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori, when you have experimented with your cherry stone remover let me know how much juice splattered about!

I did mine by hand and only managed to look a bit like a child with bad eating habbits.....bits of juice splattered on my T shirt.

If you want to make a jam , after you have stonned them ,pop the stones in a muslin to release the pectin.

I shall experiment with cherry Icecream at weekend.

Feels a bit like what to do with the left over turkey at Christmas!

Cherries are ripe for Opas and Lori 'cos they're down the bottom in the sun, here in Poitou-Charente ours aren't ripe yet.  But we'll still have our dénoyauting to look forward to when they've already finished.

Yes, I was most impressed to see the postbag.  I hope you find it as I'm now curious to know what it is.  A bit vague though, could be anywhere.

Christine - absolutely fabulous (and not the TV show) !  I found

the garlic press / cherry pitter in my cupboard.  I will let you

know how it goes, BUT, I will also try the simmering method. 

Perhaps I will combine the two to make a couple of pies.  Great

website.  Hope it really works like that.

Opas - I just wasn't looking forward to doing it by hand with a knife.  Too lazy I suppose.  Let me know how the ice-cream turns out.  Do you use an ice cream maker ?

Dw - yes, the cherries are everywhere here.  My neighbors are

farmers and they have two varieties of cherry trees.  One, we

picked already, but the second variety is still not ripe yet.  I

am told the trees have another 8 days  or so to ripen.

I may be in the Southeast, but it is still FREEZING here.   I

just can't get over it.  And that infernal (is that how you spell

it) wind !  Good thing Dick isn't here to check my spelling - I am

the worst !

How do you manage to keep the birds off your cherries?  We have a

cherry tree in the UK and, although it always has lots of cherries, the

second they are ripe (literally) the birds clear them.  It must

give them indigestion for weeks - and it certainly makes DH

sick!!  He lives in hope of having a cherry pie from the tree in

our garden.

Kathie

[quote user="hastobe"]Cool - I do love Lakeland!  Now - do I buy a stoner for the cherries...or a catapault for the birds? [Www]

Kathie

[/quote]

Easy, buy a stoner, collect a few and then use a catapult to fire them at the birds. (honestly, some folks have no idea [6]) Easy 2 stones with one bird, I think [8-)]?

John.

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Opas,

Are cherries really ripe in France already? On the other hand, my rhubarb is.

David

[/quote]

Well down here they have nearly finished picking them, I was given my first Peach jaune on wednesday by a neighbour. The peach farmers will probably be picking this week, they have their collises ready in the Orchards.

In my own garden I have had strawberries for weeks along with garden peas and cougettes. The tomatoes are on but still green (not in a greenhouse!)

Lori, I didn`t use a knife to de stone.....just my fingers!

no I do not have an ice cream maker, havn`t made Ice cream in a few years so will look for a recipe, seem to remember I used to make it like a custard?  anyway upwards and onwards, off to the Market at Thuir see if there are any clothes bargains to be had this week for the girls and then to get the youngest her monthly Diddl mag.

Opas,

Lucky you. The only thing ripe here in St. Albans is rhubarb. And the fennel is usable. Usually, unfortunately, our raspberries are ready to pick just as we are ready to go to France for our holiday. The neighbor who feeds our cats gets them.

David

Lori,

I looked at the Great Buildings link, but it wasn't there. As they say, if it isn't there it is somewhere else. That is one less place to look. I think I will get out my Michelin map of France and see if anything jogs my memory. Or look under the furniture for my photos. Thanks anyway.

David

Russethouse - great site.  I'll have to consider that

gadget.  First I will give my garlic crusher olive/cherry pitter a

chance.

Opas - by hand, ugh, don't think I could muster that.

David:  I saw 45 people had looked at your post.  Don't give

up yet, perhaps someone will recognize your description.  If not,

I'd try calling the Verdun tourist office. 

Lori,

It is now up to 46, but still no takers. (50) (52) (54) (56) (95) (only my reply) (100) (104) (107) (116)

It might be along La Voie Sacrée (N35) or near it between Bar-Le-Duc and Verdun or the D964 between Verdun and Sedan.. Or might not....

David

I give up.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, if you have managed at this late date to save anything for me it would be very welcome. I know its taken several weeks to reply but thats only because I removed hergoodself from the country for a while. Well they both needed the break.

Although I can thoroughly recommend Kuala Lumpur, to my mind it just does not compare well with the delights of Quillan - whether in the architecture department or for its breakfast curries.  And there was nothing remotely cherry to be found there anywhere.

I will never again be impressed by European rain though. I reckon we had about a foot and a half (sorry 45cms) of rain everyday. We are back to la belle full time from the end of July and, I'm positively feverish with excitement about Quillan's refurb. Can someone give me a full situation report? It must be the talk of Perpignan.

Too late for the Jam I am affraid, although I have some cheery coolie in the freezer saved for plain Yogurt.

We are now onto Courgettes, you really must keep up. Then It will be the Tomatoes and cucumbers, you also missed my suculent garden peas, by the time you get here you will have to make do with peaches , apricots and nectarines! Oh and if you are lucky some plums off my tree.

Quillan.........where is that? thought it was a pie![Www]

Still got the cherries ripening in the SW - picked another (probably the last) 8k yesterday but used a cherry stoner from Weldom - bloody nightmare, black cherry juice EVERYWHERE.

I bought myself a couple of French recipe books last week for cooking and storing fruit and veg type recipes - interestingly, some UK books say leave stones in for clafoutis and French say stone them.

We're back in the UK next week and will be visiting Lakeland to get stoner for next year.  Tom Press (French company) sell a stoner which also stones plums - which seems to be the next fruit glut.  Next on list is to buy a fruit press for pressing apples and pears in friend's orchard.

In the meantime, need to make some courgette chutney before we go back - should have found an OH who does the cooking (not really, I've always been the cook) but it's great fun here with the seasonal veggies and having time to do things with the surplus from our and neighbour's gardens.

Sorry to intrude in SE forum - nothing about food on SW.