maybe a stupid question

steve

but, is there an easy way of keeping flies out of the house. on the edge of a village with only about 30 or so sheep around and with one of the back doors of the house in the kitchen which is permanently open it is a nightmare trying to prepare food. i would appreciate any tips other than keeping the door shut !

thanks

The best thing we have found is the old fashioned flypaper. And an electric zapper thingy like you find in chip shops, bought in Michigan for a few Euros.

According to my old pal Paul the best way of keeping flies out of the living room is to keep a bucket of *$%^ in the kitchen...

Aside from installing fly screens to your windows and doors, the most effective thing I have found are those sticky ribbons that you hang from the ceiling or beam.  I know they are grotesque and cruel but....

That's what I said, fly papers.

Did you think I meant something for them to read in the evenings, nicely tucked up in the armchair with a pipe and a pair of slippers, with a really small labrador dribbling on their feet and a Perry Como mini-LP on the tiny record player?

You'll be sending 'em invites next.

i have seen the old fashioned fly paper stuff, its just the look of a few dozen flies stuck to it, and maybe the odd long hair when o/h stands too close. fly zapper sounds better. its quite a sattisfying sound !

The flyzapper is great, but doesn't always get 'em in one go, so Old Sparky just has to keep zapping. A hornet can take a few minutes. But yes, it is very satisfying, as are a couple of cheap flyswats.

What is so annoying is that even if you don't mind the flies too much they end up spotting everything, and it can be difficult to clean off.

If you want to see a complete sense of humour failure come and spend some time with my feet!

Just kidding, you know. I got quite carried away with the thought of little domesticated flies. A bit like those Victorian stuffed animals in human poses. I'll try to find a picture of what I mean.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]That's what I said, fly papers.

Did you think I meant something for them to read in the evenings, nicely tucked up in the armchair with a pipe and a pair of slippers, with a really small labrador dribbling on their feet and a Perry Como mini-LP on the tiny record player?

You'll be sending 'em invites next.
[/quote]

[:D]

My mother always told me sarcasm (or is it irony) is the lowest form of wit but you really cannot beat it can you?

I have to say I am a HUGE fan of Dick's sense of humor.  I'm not

sure what that says about me, but I love him !  (not in the

physical sense of the word, might upset hubby).

I go with the fly paper too.  I bought some of those round things

you stick on the windows.  They work, but not nearly as well as

the fly paper - ugly as it is.  Hubby plans to put screens on our

windows once the new ones are installed.

>>>...but, is there an easy way of keeping flies out of the house. on the edge of a village with only about 30 or so sheep around and with one of the back doors of the house in the kitchen which is permanently open it is a nightmare trying to prepare food. i would appreciate any tips other than keeping the door shut !...<<<

If you live in 79, investigate at your nearest 'quincaillerie-droguerie' if they have 'gobe-mouches'

They are made of transparent glass. Imagine a large balloon shaped bottle. The bottom has a hole with some kind of rim going up into the bottle. The thing has feet to rest on a plate. The neck of that bottle has a cork/glass stopper.

Put that on top of a plate with some kitchen paper with a few drops of strong wine vinegar. In the bottle put some of that wine vinegar, not much... 2 or 3 spoons full. The flies are attracted to that smell. They'll fly in through the hole in the bottom and whizz around, get drunk on the vinegar vapours and then drop dead on the kitchen paper. Every day clean and replace kitchen paper and vinegar.

Both my grans used these 'gobe-mouches' on their kitchen tables. As a kid, I was fascinated by the flies buzzing around and suddenly fall onto the plate.

Another thing they had was these horrible plastic strips curtains on their doors and windows but it help with shade and cool in the house and flies...

My mother used to hang a linen bed sheet, on the outside of the open door with lavender sprayed on it. Was nice to breathe that scent in the 'courants d'air'

In my house I burn 4 or 5 drops each of thyme, lavender, rosemary and sage oils in a bit of water in one of these aroma-thingy therapy whatsit... seems on the whole quite effective.... House smells nice anyhow!...

OH is king with the psssiccchhht spray! smells horrible and makes me sneeze!

Daughter is dab hand at the flyswat! Them flies the last thing through their mind is their proverbial! HAHAHA!

I bought one of those 'gobe-mouches' things. It is made of orange plastic and you put fruit juice in it fot catching wasps and flies. They fly in through various holes. but can't get out and eventually fall into the juice and drown. It is abysmally ugly but cost less than €1 in Michigan! It works, too.

OH has just bought a fly gun.  Very similar to a child's toy but without the sucker bit on the arrow - just a round plastic mesh bit on the end.  It has string attached to the little gun so you don't lose it.  He's having fun reliving his boyhood and I'm constantly ducking !  I think the flies have got wise - I haven't seen one for days.[:D]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]The flyzapper is great, but doesn't always get 'em in one go, so Old Sparky just has to keep zapping. A hornet can take a few minutes. But yes, it is very satisfying, as are a couple of cheap flyswats.

[/quote]

And when you do zap a nice big juicy one don't you just love the smell of burning fly hair??? [6]

[quote user="steve"]i have seen the old fashioned fly paper stuff, its just the look of a few dozen flies stuck to it, and maybe the odd long hair when o/h stands too close. fly zapper sounds better. its quite a sattisfying sound ![/quote]

If your other half, or any other family member with long hair, do make sure those fly thingies are too high to get caught in, we do not have high ceilings and had one hanging from the notice board, our eldest got in an argument with one, we tried everything to wash it out and ended up using petrole(the stuff in the portable fires).

Just had lunch, there was a couple of flies that decided they would like a portion, I kept on trying to get them with a rolled up newspaper, eldestdaughter caught them in her hands! Yuk

I've got a combination of a fly swat and electrical zapper thingy. It's shaped liked a tennis racquet but the strings are made of wire, it has a little button on the side and batteries. When you press the button the wire becomes live so you swat and zap at the same time. You get a mini firework display if the light is low and the added benefit of a workout as you run round the room brandishing the racquet like John McEnroe!  Unfortunately I bought it in England so can't help......just felt like sharing!

We have one of those fly guns Pip, although I'm not revisiting my boyhood![:-))] Also it only stuns them & you still have to kill them. I'm a good shot, if you have a drink on the table! [;-)]

We throw everything at them! A zapper, flyswats, flypapers & the little patterned stickers you put on the windows. There's always one though! Grrrrr![:@]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Where in England, pliss thankyew?
[/quote]

Hi Dick,

I got mine at a retail warehouse in Manchester called Stax, however I've just had a quick look on Ebay and they have lots for sale on there for Buy it Now prices of around £4.00 including postage. Mine cost around £2.00 so you don't want to be paying too much more than that...some of the Ebay ones are a tenner! Put 'Fly Swatter' into the search field.

If you have those discount stores in your town that sell everything you never wanted you'll probably find them there. Fully recommended as the fly even sticks to the racquet for easy disposal ( nice [+o(]  )

Happy swatting!

[quote user="vickybear"]I've got a combination of a fly swat and electrical zapper thingy. It's shaped liked a tennis racquet but the strings are made of wire, it has a little button on the side and batteries. When you press the button the wire becomes live so you swat and zap at the same time. You get a mini firework display if the light is low and the added benefit of a workout as you run round the room brandishing the racquet like John McEnroe!  Unfortunately I bought it in England so can't help......just felt like sharing![/quote]

The tennis raquet ones are available in france, I have seen thim in stores such as King Kong  .....oh and Gifi.