A nice little quote that will ring true with many....................

Bugsy

[quote user="Will "]

[quote user="sweet 17"]i thought a highbrow person was the one who thinks of the William Tell overture when everyone else thinks it's the theme tune for the Lone Ranger!  Nevermind, I guess I am just too old and remember the things that everyone else has forgotten![/quote]

Poppadom poppadom poppadom dom dom...

The William Patel Overture

(Les Barker - Mrs Ackroyd)

[/quote]Will, you will then remember the song of Earwig O, won't you?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely...

My favourite Les Barker title was 'Dachshunds with erections can't climb stairs'. For the uninitiated, he is the absolute master of the excrutiating pun (often dog-related), e.g. 'The war on terrier', though he is also a serious poet. I feel a thread hijack coming on...

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I though a Highbrow is someone who can hear Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' and not think of the Bugs Bunny Cartooon

(Kill der Wabbit, kill der Wabbit.......wid my spear and magic hewlmet.  Spear and magic helmet? Wes, spear and magic hewlmet)

[/quote]

Whenever I hear 'Ride of the Valkyries' I think of helicopters   [8-)]

Does that make me highbrow or lowbrow - or just a saddo?

"I am going to concentrate on what's important in life. I'm going to strive to be a kind and generous and loving person. I'm going to keep death right here beside me, so that anytime I even think about getting angry at you or someone else, I'll see death and I'll remember."

Diane Frolov.

"Do not get into a quarrel with an argumentative man, nor incite him with words. Proceed cautiiously before an opponent and give way to an adversay.Sleep on it before speaking for a storm cometh forth like a fire from hay." Amenhotep 3, Pharoah in the 18th dynasty of Kemet. Could be advice for this forum, though it would take the fun out of it. Pat.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Is it me or have you acquired 2 extra wheels, Bugs?[/quote]

It's my old dragster 'Bugbear 2', which I built from scratch in 1995. It's sadly no longer in my possession as I sold it when I finished racing in 1997.

VW flat-four powered (although no VW parts in the motor) 2.7 litre and nearly 400hp (with Nitrous Oxide and Water Injection)

Ran the quarter mile in 7.3 seconds with a terminal speed of 183mph.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Bugbear.jpg

Better than SEX..................................................[:D][:D]

Bugbear's post that started this thread reminds me of a colleague with whom I used to fly on business trips.

Arriving at the BA check-in desk he said that he was travelling to Bahrain but wanted his suitcase to go to India.

"That's not possible," the check-in person said.

"Well you managed it last time". The look that the check-in person gave, implied that she had heard it before but couldn't believe that she had given the feed line again.

------------

The Nancy Astor quote is like one from Degas, who said that when he was young he had lots of ideas for painting but did not have the technique, but now he was old he had the technique but had run out of ideas.

[quote user="Renaud"]

Bugbear's post that started this thread reminds me of a colleague with whom I used to fly on business trips.

Arriving at the BA check-in desk he said that he was travelling to Bahrain but wanted his suitcase to go to India.

"Well you managed it last time". The look that the check-in person gave, implied that she had heard it before but couldn't believe that she had given the feed line again.[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Letter to the Weekly Telegraph:

Tony and the truth

Sir

– Tony Blair will undoubtedly go down in history as the Prime Minister

who claimed that it was a slip of the tongue when he told the truth.

John Crowley,

Queenscliff, Victoria, Australia

Somehow, this nice little quote has the ring of truth for me.

[quote user="Renaud"]

"Well you managed it last time". The look that the check-in person gave, implied that she had heard it before but couldn't believe that she had given the feed line again.

------------

[/quote]

I love flying. I've been to nearly as many places as my luggage

Bob Hope

• 3 weeks later...