Getting rid of smells

Patf

This is serious, though I'm posting it on the Lighter Side.

I forgot about a pan of rice boiling this afternoon and the smell of burning is all over the house. I tried opening all the doors and windows, but it's so COLD. So this didn't last long, and didn't work.

Are there any other ways of freshening the air? I don't want to use chemicals unless really necessary. Hoping someone comes up with a good idea.

You could try all or any of the following - I'm not vouching for their efficacy!  Try each in one room first to see how it goes, and let us know afterwards.....

Cut a raw potato in two and place in the room with cut sides uppermost.

Ditto with an orange.

Put a couple of saucers of milk in the room.

Good luck

Chrissie (81)

PS In case you didn't already know, you can get the burnt patches off most pans by covering in salt, then adding very little water so it's a bit runnier than a paste, and re-boiling.  Keep an eye on it and add more water as necessary.

Oh Wooly - You do make me laugh - [:D][:D][:D] I can just picture the rocking chair on wheels, for ease of moving from room to room...

My New Years Resolution - If feeling a bit down, log onto this forum and search for your latest postings [:-))]

[quote user="woolybanana"]All these lovely ideas. Get an old granny and leave her in the house, moving her from room to room after an hour or so. The original smell will go but .......[6] Well, good for long enough. Seriously, hang up banana skins and as they dry, so the smell will go.[/quote]A young male cat works equally well. 

I think there's something very odd about recommending your own species's skin as an air freshener.

So I'll try to collect a potato, an orange, some milk, some bicarb., an onion, and put a lemon in the microwave and hope they work.

As for the old granny, I'm a granny, (hoping not to be old), and that hasn't helped.

And over-ripe bananas do have a very pungent aroma [Www]

[quote user="Shivy"]don't usually have to hunt for, it the cat seems to know with good effect where the best place to go is to optimise the sleepy stumble in the morning with no slippers on!![/quote]

We've been there...............[:D]