Nominations for the most annoying Christmas TV ads

mint

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can tell, I'm watching Freeview on a 12 year old TV via a box that cost me a tenner and a dish we had installed 16 years ago, at a house south of La Rochelle and North of Bordeaux. Mind You, I've never fully grasped the difference between freeview and Freesat except I thought the latter cost money..in the UK at least.

Well why muddy the waters then? The word sat is the other clue. If you are watching British TV in South West France via a decoder it will be a Freesat box connected to a satellite dish. Your neighbour in the UK might well watching the same programme through his Freeview box attached to a conventional TV aerial.

BESTEST advert this year has been one for Disney Paris.

Duckling and family.........loved it..........

took me a while to work out what it was for, but that did not make a difference.

Signed well I have some choices here.......

Madame Sneezy or Coughy, or Headachy, or just plain Madame Poorly, but on the mend.

(not la grippe, just an awful cold with a barking cough...... and the cough is the problem for so many reasons I shall not go into[:(])

hope you all had a good xmas[:D]

[quote user="cajal"]
[quote user="Gardian"]Definitely worth a watch are the ‘Porridge’ repeats on the Drama channel (Freeview ch 143, nightly at 19.00 UK time). [/quote]

Hi Gardian,
Just being inquisitive here.

How do you manage to have Freeview in the Gard? I always thought it could only be received, via an aerial + set top box or with a tv with it installed, in the UK and with a bit of a push at coastal points of northern France and the Netherlands.
[/quote]

As I asked the question I will give my interpretation of what I thought was my misunderstanding of receiving UK tv in France.

I would suggest that not only does Gardian not watch 'Porridge' on Freeview or even Freesat but in fact watches it via a Sky box where you will find the Drama channel on 143.

I therefore believe my understanding of satallite tv remains intact.

[quote user="nomoss"]
I watch free TV programmes, I assume from Freesat, via my Sky box (I know it's a Sky box 'cos it says "skydigibox" on the front.[/quote]

As well as our Humax box (FreeSat) we have a Panasonic Digibox (Sky) in the kitchen. I believe the 'free' programmes you receive via your Digibox are the sole ownership of Sky ( Free to Air) the same as those received through our Panasonic box.

FreeSat however is a totally different company (a joint venture between BBC and ITV) to Sky but transmits a similar free service via Astra2 - 28.2° satallite.

FreeView is really of no consequence to a French resident unless they reside in close proximity to the 'manche' coast.

[quote user="nomoss"]
These are the only channels I get, now that I have cancelled our Sly TV subscription.[/quote]
I've heard them called worse.

[quote user="cajal"] ..........I believe the 'free' programmes you receive via your Digibox are the sole ownership of Sky ( Free to Air) the same as those received through our Panasonic box. ...........[/quote]

The programmes we now receive since I cancelled our Sky subscription, and there is no card in any of the slots, include BBC, ITV. CNN, CNBC, Euronews, Al Jazeera, and many other news channels, BBC1, 2, and 4, ITV 1 ,2 ,3, etc., Dave and other entertainment channels, several movie channels, including Sony, at least a hundred other TV channels which I can't be bothered to list, and  all the UK radio stations,

Do you really believe they are all the sole ownership of Sky?

[quote user="nomoss"]
Do you really believe they are all the sole ownership of Sky?
[/quote]

Sky has numerous strings to its bow, one of those being Sky tv. Within the tv sphere they offer several pay to view bundles and packages which will include a large selection of Free To Air channels (the ones you receive). Sky owns the right to transmit these channels through its service to be received by Sky set-top box demodulators which use the Sky EPG.

Yes, you’re right Cajal. Ch 143.

Whether that’s Freeview or Freesat, I really don’t care much.

We have a 1.1m dish, professionally installed some years ago and never a problem since (except in very extreme weather). Does what we need.

B in B wrote

Well why muddy the waters then? The word sat is the other clue. If you are watching British TV in South West France via a decoder it will be a Freesat box connected to a satellite dish. Your neighbour in the UK might well watching the same programme through his Freeview box attached to a conventional TV aerial.

And Merry Christmas to you, too, B in B. May all your chips be evenly distributed between both your shoulders, so as to ensure you remain as well balanced in 2019 as in 2018.?

Tiresome but:

do you mean that may BnB be unevenly distributed with chips and will then be less balanced than in 2018?

"any definition of irony—though hundreds might be given, and very few of them would be accepted—must include this, that the surface meaning and the underlying meaning of what is said are not the same."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony.

Can you also please stop being negative against others when I do not post for a few days, if you have not noticed, Same goes for one or two others.

Oh dear ...... the two would-be bullyboys are back in force.

There are many things that I could say, and dearly want to say, but just about every one of them would result in of the two of you reporting me and getting my post deleted. That’s your usual get-out.

Why on earth can’t you bring yourselves to be gracious in some way, shape or form? Its not hard, even if you disagree. From where I sit, you’ve turned an amusing-ish thread in to something rather distatesful.

Over & out - fully expecting your tirades of vitriol.