What to do for 7 hours

Russethouse

As it stands transatlantic passengers are still restricted to taking  very few items into the cabin, so given that passengers have no ipods, MP3s or laptops and no books, apart from the 'in flight' entertainment, any ideas for passing the time ?

'I spy ' may be a bit limited, a sing song perhaps ?[:)]

>>>As it stands transatlantic passengers are still restricted to taking  very few items into the cabin, so given that passengers have no ipods, MP3s or laptops <<<

OK... I well understand that these items could be seen as remote control detonators so for them to be not allowed on board I can live with that....

BUT... >>>....and no books, <<<

Sorry, Sir but No Sorry Sir!! I fail to understand WHY we can't take our own paperbacks and magazines on board! to help pass the time...

What about parents with very young kids! I always had a couple of books or comics for my children on any journey once the interest in the 'I spy' game or the 'adding up' game had waned off...

[quote user="missyesbut"] I fail to understand WHY we can't take our own paperbacks and magazines on board! to help pass the time... What about parents with very young kids! I always had a couple of books or comics for my children on any journey once the interest in the 'I spy' game or the 'adding up' game had waned off...[/quote]

They have obviously watched one too many Bond films and feel that a terrorist who is in to Origami, might fashion a weapon out of odds and ends of mags and books (Scaramanga style) and put it to use to take over the plane.

How about a game of Chinese Whispers instead - should prove interesting with a few hundred people taking part.[;-)]

>>>Sleep<<<

Mmmm!...

I have yet to go asleep on a flight!... that would be a novelty for me to try out.

Went to Zimbabwe many years ago and didn't manage to catch 40 winks for the whole 14 hour-flight... but then the kids (at the time 9 and 6) neither as they were so full of their big adventure!

Then went to visit my daughter (by now 19, and working in the Far East) 18 months ago, I would try out some kind of beauty sleep during an 18 hour-flight!... I was too excited by seeing her again and all the things we had planned to do to even contemplate sleep .....

>>>Snap MYB it's not easy to sleep on a flight. Although, I think Opas has a good idea & then combine that with Rosebud's & maybe get some zzzzzzz's afterwards!<<<

I could drink .... don't fancy living with myself at the 'cold turkey' stage though... that would really be a landing too far!.... too much like hardwork....

as to Opas' idea... I'd need someone with me !!! the steward is quite dashing... he's gay the stewardess tells me!.... what a waste...

....... OH?... dead loss he thinks it's the ramblers club outing to the top of his Welsh hill! Mind you.... what do they do up there by the lake...

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

You can always buy a book airside, and even a cheap portable CD .

You can certainly buy such things, but you will have to leave them at the departure gate!

[/quote]

This extract from the BA website suggests that for the USA it is only liquids that will be confiscated.

"In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger." 

[quote user="Opas"]See how many are up for joining the mile high club?[img]http://bestsmileys.com/kissing1/6.gif[/img][/quote]

Bit limited I fear as not many airports are above 5,280 feet but a sound idea in principle.

John

not