And if Gordon doesn't get the keys to No 10 ...

Deimos

I'm sure there is a place for him in French politics. I'm sure that after his performance over the last few days, the plotting, back stabbing, scheming, secret agreements, persuading people to sacrifice their jobs, etc. he has shown himself to be at least getting close to the expected behaviour of a French politician. Now he just has to master the "back-handers", women of disrepute, brief cases full of notes, etc.

(and lets face it, after the one item dominating UK news for the last few days somebody had to mention something about it).

Ian

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Deimos"]I'm sure there is a place for him in French politics. I'm sure that after his performance over the last few days, the plotting, back stabbing, scheming, secret agreements, persuading people to sacrifice their jobs, etc. he has shown himself to be at least getting close to the expected behaviour of a French politician. Now he just has to master the "back-handers", women of disrepute, brief cases full of notes, etc. (and lets face it, after the one item dominating UK news for the last few days somebody had to mention something about it). Ian[/quote]

No problem with mentioning it. I don't know why it had to be couched in terms that may have seemed to make it more relevant to a French Interest forum though. My impression is most people here are aware of more than what is presented to them in Party Political leaflets/speeches, etc, both in France and England.

Ian, do you have some inside information?

The secret agreements and backstabbing have been going on for as long as Tony Blair has been PM, but to say that Gordon Brown was party to 'persuading people to sacrifice their jobs etc...' seems to be 'reaching' a little.

[quote user="Dotty Trois"]

Yes but the sun's been shining, do we really need to think about M Blair et M Brown?

September has been such a lovely month so far, lets not spoil it.

[/quote]

Quite agree, but Deimos is right, you just can't get away from it.  This is going to run and run.

Still, you have to be thankful for small mercies.  We got through August thank goodness, without Mr & Mrs Beckett turning up locally in their caravan (with Range Rover 'heavies' in tow)!

It would have been 5x Pain au Chocolat, 5x Pain au Raisin, etc, etc, with all the locals moaning about the time taken to serve the 'entrangers'. 

Well if we want to talk about back stabbing, old Charlie Clarke seems to like to have a good go at anyone he can.  Only a couple of months ago he was having a go at Tony B Liar, now it appears that Gordie is not fit to be a PM  Do you think Charlie wants the jo for himself? [;-)]

[quote user="Deimos"]I only know what I hear on the news. The thought about the French politicians is that what often seems "so terrible" in UK politics seems "the norm" in French politics Ian[/quote]

I think we are as one on this. There is nothing new under the sun?

Except I have to wonder how many people even watch French News etc. Frankly, If I had SKY I wonder if I would[:)]

Still, I do, but it's only through following UK news on the internet that I know that this issue has been bubbling for some time.

Ian, do you really think G Brown 'persuaded' other people to 'lose their jobs' in order to bring this issue (the Blair/Brown transfer of power) to the forefront?

>>>And we know for certain that George W gets all his best advice from a sock puppet!!! (2DTV)<<<<

That is where Dubbya gets his advice from :

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=6957

Hope you can link to it from here if not cut and paste in your browser!

To give a possible answer to Gay - Blair is hanging on because it would be worse for the Labour Party if he left. He can't set out an exact timetable, that would render him completely powerless and the government would at best drift and at worst self-destruct as the date grew nearer. If he goes quickly it makes it obvious that he has been pushed, newspapers full of stories of plots and putsches - but successful ones! The party seen as disloyal, Byzantine, untrustworthy by the electorate, loses next three general elections at least (a la John Major). So he doesn't have much of an option.

I can, in a way, understand Gordon Brown - though I'm not sure he is still the best alternative, but what on earth do the back benchers think they are playing at? Their vanity has far outweighed their need for employment after the next election, it seems. Hell hath no fury like an MP scorned...

Well I must have missed it then!

Usually it seems that it is left to a minor minister to make that much hackneyed ' our thoughts and prayers' speech;

At the risk of making another 'dumb' comment, I believe that Mrs Thatcher was often present at the airport when service mens bodies were brought back from the Falklands to pay her respects.

That, in my opinion, is the least any politician who sends people into war can do.

Any way can't sit here all day, got a beach to visit!

Dick, I wondered if Mr Blair was waiting for an upturn in the Iraq situation to take his moment to leave? I think it was a mistake to ever hint that he was leaving before the next election. People seem to be now looking to a post Blair period instead of concentrating on now.

As for Gordon, perhaps his moment has slightly passed -  a shame. IMHO. 

Diva Star wrote:

"At the risk of making another 'dumb' comment, I believe that Mrs Thatcher was often present at the airport when service mens bodies were brought back from the Falklands to pay her respects. "

I thought that the British servicemen who died in the Falklands were buried there. Perhaps my memory is wrong.

I agree with Dick on the present nonsense. I can't imagine what these back benchers think they are playing at. Only time will tell of course, but I think they may find they've shot themselves in the foot.

Hoddy

The ins and outs of who told who to fall on whose sword will probably never be accurately known except by those involved. Also there is telling, directing, suggesting, motivating (e.g. prospect of a better job in future), etc. and it would be quite beyond my knowledge to say what actually happened (but I can put 2 and 2 together and form my own conclusions).

I never thought GB would make a good PM. Although maybe Clarke's comments were not as tactful or well timed as they could be (or maybe they were for his intent) - the aspects about "control freak" echo my own opinions.

GB desperately wants to "be in charge" I remember at some recent bye-elections when he "killed-off" the Glasgow transport plans to gain a few votes (but they lost anyway). Despite the fact that the plans had nothing to do with central government, were totally outside his control, outside his responsibility, etc. he flew up there, and without consulting those with the responsibility, announced that the Glasgow Transport plan would not be going ahead. He was campaigning for the local Labour candidate (who lost anyway) but as a result Glasgow no longer has a transport strategy (so the city centre mayhem continues). Similarly, when Ken Livingstone was trying to get investment sorted out for the London Underground, he repeatedly tried to get a meeting with GB (I believe GB's approval for the plans was required) but was never able to. Things like this suggest to me that is is an inappropriate person to take the role as PM.

Apart from that he is currently behaving like a spoilt child. He wants his turn at driving and is pissed that TB might not let him. Labour was elected with TB as leader NOT GB. TB said he would serve a full term so why does GB now think he has a right to step in "because its his turn". I always was unsure about him but now am pretty convinced he is not the right person.

Ian

Gay - I don't think he was waiting for an upturn, he was waiting for it to stop getting worse. It shows the dangers of 'conviction' politicians, doesn't it - they do something they strongly believe in and then find that it wasn't that simple, and the wheels come off. People demand 'conviction' from politicians, but when they show it they are damned for being intransigent.

So much of the attitude to politics in this country is unthinking and uncritical. led by a media who are themselves ignorant, corrupt and lazy. Look at the BBC now out to get revenge on Blair for the Gilligan affair - the 7 o'clock news on BBC24 last night was given a title - 'Government in Crisis' - overblown nonsense.

'Diva' - to save you doing any research on the matter and therefore having to deal with some truth, most soldiers who fell in the Falklands were buried there, as is the usual British practice. I don't recall and can't find any references to Thatcher 'greeting' returning bodies, and of course when Tony Blair sent someone to do so they were accused of grandstanding and profiting from publicity on the deaths of soldiers - which is what I expect you would have said had he done it.

Soldiers who have fallen in Afghanistan and Iraq are, I am informed, brought home because it would be insensitive to bury non-Muslim soldiers in Muslim countries (although this was done in both WW1 and WW2 and the graveyards are well looked after).

[quote user="Dick Smith"]'Diva' - to save you doing any research on the matter and therefore having to deal with some truth, most soldiers who fell in the Falklands were buried there, as is the usual British practice. I don't recall and can't find any references to Thatcher 'greeting' returning bodies, and of course when Tony Blair sent someone to do so they were accused of grandstanding and profiting from publicity on the deaths of soldiers - which is what I expect you would have said had he done it.

Soldiers who have fallen in Afghanistan and Iraq are, I am informed, brought home because it would be insensitive to bury non-Muslim soldiers in Muslim countries (although this was done in both WW1 and WW2 and the graveyards are well looked after).
[/quote]

Some soldiers were buried in the Falklands but some bodies were repatriated. In fact Mrs T had to do a U turn on this very subject!

In 65 a soldier called Eddie Wallace was killed in Aden, his parents campaigned for the right to have his body brought home and eventually this happened. When the Falklands started as Mrs T stated that the bodies would be interred in the Falklands, Eddie mother contacted Mrs T to remind her that if a person wished to have their relative brought back, they were entitled to this.

Just because you cannot find any references to Mrs T greeting the bodies, does not mean it did not happen. I am sure you are as fallible as the rest of us. I can't recall now what book it was that I read this in, but as soon as I can find it, I'll be sure to let you know.

BTW, I hope that you are not as condescending to your students as you can be on here.[:@]