What makes you keep comming back to the forum

verviale

Just sat here wondering what makes everyone contribute to the forum, often wonder what I did before.My O.H.sits on the other sofa enjoying a book or the freedom to have his choice on the T.V.he often mutters who are you speaking to darling,oh just the forum,I reply, I mention names now and then but not often, it is like a secret world that he is not the bit interested in,is it the banter that I do not share with him thats nice,is it the love of France which is the common denominator, I do think he wonders at my enthusiasm for everything French, I suppose it is a wonder I do not live there, but that is down to money as usual.Anyway there really is a nice bunch of folks on this forum, perhaps thats why I log in most days.

A very small hamlet outside Eymoutiers,have had a house there for fifteen years and have watched the influx of Le Anglais, a bit of it I am sad about, but our hamlet was dying, I suppose I saved the first house that would have just gone into disrepair and now out of thirty houses six are owned by English,however they are all the houses the french did not want, too much work and money needed.They still moan to me about the influx, they kind of accept me as I have been there so long,I have felt as though I have been in a very difficult position the last four years,and never know quite what to say, I understand what they are saying,but then I am glad our wonderful stone houses in the village are being restored to their former glory.I am the only one that has a bread oven in the village now, I had it restored and the locals told me I was mad,but now embrace me for doing it and I have the only well in the village that is useable.I have a barn owl that has reared fifteen babies in my chimney, and when I read we only have onethousand pairs left in england how wonderful is that! So I will not bore you with my life in England it is not half as charming but have 30 years in a pension plan so cannot upsticks just yet.I live in Frinton-on-sea,we have a saying round here, Harwich for the continent, Frinton for the incontinent, need I say more about the age of the population.Incidently, I went through Grand Bourg in the summer on the way to a massive Vide Grennier, cannot remember where it was, I did not realise you lived near there.I must say I expecetd it to be very Grand and it was just a small village, but nice countryside.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]Barking B&B owners, musical sausages, dotty ladies, insomniac lunatics, whacky woodcutters, dizzy dog lovers, mad mods, krazy kats......etc.[/quote]

Yes That really does sum it all up, I think I come into (not up to Dicks Grammar category)

Well Verviale, for the entertainment value, the useful info & of course the good folks on here.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]Barking B&B owners, musical sausages, dotty ladies, insomniac lunatics, whacky woodcutters, dizzy dog lovers, mad mods, krazy kats......etc.[/quote]

Mmmm Twinks, I suppose I'm in there somewhere![;-)]

[quote user="Miki"]Woof ruddy Woof...........which reminds me where is the Prof these days ? and my I also ask where Katie is ?

A dodgy Ridgeback is a it of a weak excuse innit (Is a Ridgeback like a Labradoodle ?) [:)]

I rekon the prof,s kids have taken him and his good lady out for dinner this weekend,maybe Rules again in Covent Garden, how the other half live,I think someone said Katie was on holiday.

[/quote]

I like the fairies.  And all the other strange creatures that Twinks mentioned. [:)]

Threads that run off at wild tangents. [:)]

Being able to share what I know and receive in return (Dearly beloved, today's sermon will be on the theme of ...). [:)]

Funny pictures. [:)]

Filling in time whilst waiting for people who are late for breakfast/late arriving.  [:)]

[quote user="jayjay"]

Well Verviale, for the entertainment value, the useful info & of course the good folks on here.

Mmmm Twinks, I suppose I'm in there somewhere![;-)]

[/quote]

Jay jay I think your the Insomniac lunatic! mind you i guess that makes me one too. !! (watch out for the blue men)

I like the feeling it gives me of being closer to my little french home even though i cant be there, and i learn some thing new every day by running through different threds, plus the great support you get when things go wrong, and the cheers when they go right.

And one day if im as lucky as twinkle i may even get a chick named after me!!![:)] 

[quote user="Chris Head"]Small world Verv, I'm working in Domps for a few days at the bar in the centre of the village, come and do some oiling for me![/quote]

Can I come back and do the oiling for you Chris! can't guarantee it will be the bar that will be oiled though!... [Www]

How is the bar coming on anyway?... Sorted out the apostrophe problem?...

That's what I like about the forum. All these individuals that Twinks has mentionned, who think that they all live next door to each other in virtual earth and they carry on gossiping, telling each other off sometime and immediately making up, inviting themselves to the others' place, etc... just as if they were all in a real village on real earth.

I think it's just plain wonderful! [:D]

[quote user="pads"]

Jay jay I think your the Insomniac lunatic!

And one day if im as lucky as twinkle i may even get a chick named after me!!![:)] 

[/quote]

Pads, lunatic yes, insomniac nah![;-)] BTW think the chick thing is on a different forum, poultrykeepers isn't it?[:P]

Missy, It is one big village isn't it? I've just had a coffee with a few on here. Admittedly, I had to drive a little way for it. All of them were as nice in the 'real' world. That's the other thing about fora, the true friendships that can form from them.[:D]

I come back for so many reasons - many are the same as others have noted.  I have learned and continue to learn so much about life in France and all it entails.  This forum has so many wonderful, honest and well-informed participants, I have never found a better site.

And, as many here know, I am often alone as husband works overseas.  The forum provides me with a place to go to when I have problems, questions, something to pass along or just want a laugh.  It feels like a large family, often funny and often grumpy, but always well meaning.

May it never end.

Checking out the Forum latest postings has become a part of my life and, for as long as I have my little bit of France, I truly can't imagine ever wanting to leave this Forum (for all the reasons mentioned already by others)!  But if you do searches on topics and old posts come up, you see completely different names, so obviously people do drift away, never to come back.  Is it possible to get bored with this Forum?!

I really don't know why !  But, last Thursday our telephone line was cut off by some trees, speedy France Telecom have just been to fix it back, and what am I doing, catching up on what's been going on here...    [:-))]    [:P]    [:$]   [6]  

Thank you all for being there !