Father Christmas doesn't exist!

TWINKLE

My 7 year old daughter announced this after choir practice this evening and I am devestated.  I thought I was going to have at least another Christmas of hiding presents and making footprints with the ashes from the wood burner.  I feel like all the magic is gone.

How old where your little ones when they stopped believing? 

Don't any of you DARE say that Christmas is a money spinning commercial event and good job that she doesn't believe anymore or I'll stuff a Christmas tree down your throat.  I am depressed - my daughter is growing up too fast and I can't handle it!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Twinkle, look at it in a positive way.  She is a clever little girl and you can be proud you are being a good Mum and she is moving on to the next level.

Whatever kids know or don't know they still love to go through with the charade (sp) anyway.

Make sure Santa still visits.

I know, my little lad is 7 as well, he is my baby and I'm sure he knows it.  He is loosing teeth like its a fashion and I forgot the tooth fairy visit.  He asked me the following morning 'did you not have any money mummy' sadly I just forgot. Ooops!

Said they must have been very busy so try again tonight, the following morning he got up, flashed his coin at me and winked.

I have four children, nearly 19, 15, 7 and just turned 3. The eldest stopped believing at about 10 or 11, or at least she made out she believed, the 15 year old stopped around the same age, my 7 year old is an avid believer and I don't think my 3 yr old knows who he is. It's shattering when you find out they don't believe. But I still give them all a stocking, except the eldest as she's left home. It does amuse us watching the 15yr old open his stocking, but he's very good at keeping up the pretence for the sake of the youngest two.

Twinks,

I guarantee after one xmas of no hiding pressie's and Santa down the chimney she'll believe again! I remember me and my best friend deciding he possibly didn't exist but it was best to go along with it. (we were about 10!)

And yes he does exist, I've seen him, last year at Intermarche, he kissed me. [kiss]

Well, we have 3 boys - 23, 19 & 10 and we still have to go thorugh the whole pantomime with mince pie / beer and carrots left out for FC & the reindeer and they still get there stockings (well pillowcases). These "have" to contain a small torch, pants, socks, chocolate orange, tangerines & nuts with other assorted small joky presents.....especially if these are daft games

They all also still have to have an advent calender.....

Don't worry Twinks - she may " know" about Father Chrostmas - but you'll still need to leave the footprints and eat half the carrot  - it's all part of the magic

Oh I'm still carrying on don't worry.  Last night I said that if nobody believed then we may as well not put up the tree and she was mortified. 

Last year she still really believed it all.  It's so wonderful seeing Christmas through the eyes of a 6 year old!  I think I become 5 years old again every Christmas anyway.  We always set up the nativity scene and last year she was allowed to do it on her own - it was so sweet the way she carefully unwrapped all the little porcelaine statues. 

I know it sounds corny but at Christmas I really do feel that people are more receptive and to each other  and I feel that miracles can happen.  I'm not talking about the shops and all that rubbish - that I avoid whenever possible.  I love the simple things like inviting the neighbours for a drink, listening to my daughters choir singing carols  with the O.A.P. choir, eating chestnuts and drinking mulled wine in the cold.

What do you miss about Christmas in Britain (apart from the crackers!) and what do prefer here in France?

My daughter was told at school that there is no Santa Claus.  She was around 8 or 9 years old (if memory serves).  I thought that was pretty mean, but apparently, it is commonplace.  I told her he DOES exist.  Who else would give her all those wonderful things that Mom & Dad can't afford to buy.  She kept with the system, but she is turning 13 soon and, of course, she knows the truth - though I have never told her.

Like everyone else says, we still go through the same practices.  It is tradition and fun too.  And, we make sure a taste of the cookie is taken before daughter rises so it appears Santa did take a bite (he gets so many you know !)

Don't worry Twinks, continue like you always have.  Your daughter will love you for it forever.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]I'm going to listen to my Cristmas album to see if that cheers me up![/quote]

Thanks Twinks.  I've been trying to think of an upside to OH being away for two weeks.  You've just given it to me.  I'm never allowed to play the Christmas CDs til the first week of December.  I can start tonight if I like now and have a full six weeks of Noddy! [:D]

Unfortunately we've never been able to experience the kids Christmas, having none of our own, but I will never forget my nephew, when he was about 4 telling us that they had left a glass of brandy out for Father Christmas (hah!  crafty old dad!) and some carrots for the radiators!!!! [:D][:D]   I always thought it would be a good name for a pop group with a Christmas song.... Santa Claus and the Radiators.