Computer tips.

Bugsy

If it seems slow or you get the message "Needs more resources" try to download another one. The system relies on donors actually being 'on-line' so you do, sometimes have to keep trying. Older (proper) songs can take longer than the 'modern cr**.

Remember to turn off the little green icon in your toolbar if you're surfing as it can be pretty memory-hungry.

Good though, isn't it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Gary aka Bugbear"]

If it seems slow or you get the message "Needs more resources" try to download another one. The system relies on donors actually being 'on-line' so you do, sometimes have to keep trying. Older (proper) songs can take longer than the 'modern cr**.

Remember to turn off the little green icon in your toolbar if you're surfing as it can be pretty memory-hungry.

Good though, isn't it.

[/quote]

Very good.  The dog's jewels.  It wasn't actually that slow - a 5k file took a couple of minutes and I carried on doing something else while it worked away in the background.  I've never downloaded music before so I had no idea how long it should take.

If you get the message 'needs more sources' right click the file and select 'find more sources' if the list on the left shows the track as being from a certain 'album' highlight the 'album' right click and select 'search for album' also make sure that you are actually 'sharing' something as some people will not share with you if you do not!

best regards

Dave

Some here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-3911576-0567858?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=microsoft+front+page&Go.x=4&Go.y=9

although I can't speak for them personally. You might try reading the reviews for each title - they're ususally written by real people so can be a help - sadly few of those here, I see.

There's also a web link

http://office.microsoft.com/en-GB/officelive/default.aspx?xid=ol_ppc_007

I meant reviews, sorry.  Those particular books don't seem to have much feedback with them!  It's a bit O.T.T., as it covers the whole of office, (including front page)but I have a great book which includes a CD Rom with lots of practice exercises on it.  It is a Microsoft Office publication called, oddly enough, Micorosoft Office XP Step by Step.  I'll see if I can find it on  Amazon.

Here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/202-3911576-0567858?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=microsoft+office+xp+step+by+step&Go.x=5&Go.y=7

Happily, it does include feedback!

Back up your Outlook Files. Windows XP users

I only found this today 18th Dec. I was searching for an answer for someone who had lost their emails and stumbled across it.

It's for Outlook 2002 and later and once downloaded, sits quietly in Outlook under (File - Back up). You can back up to your PC or to a separate Hard drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&familyid=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01

It requires validation so won't load if you're using an illegal copy of XP, not that anyone on here would, would they........[:)]

Good precaution to take, as Gary says. 

If you have problems with the download then in Outlook (I don't know about Express) you can click on Tools > Options > Other >Autoarchive and Outlook will automatically move emails etc. over a given age onto your hard drive at intervals of your choice.  If you leave ticked the box for "Show Archive in Folder List" then the mails remain fully accessible from Outlook, as if you had never archived them.

It's quite easy to archive emails in OE.

In Windows Explorer go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{07578491-B067-4853-9295-19546B22A91B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

(where \XXXX\ is your user name plus the big string of letters & numbers between the { } will be different for you)

You'll find a bunch of files with the extension .dbx, such as inbox.dbx, folders.dbx etc. etc. all your mails are contained within these so copy them all somewhere safe.

If you need to restore them at a later date, say to a new PC or after a reinstall of Windows, simply copy them back.

NOTE: IF YOU DO COPY BACK YOU WILL BE PROMPTED TO OVERWRITE THE EXISTING .dbx FILES SO BE AWARE THAT BY DOING SO YOU WILL LOSE ANY EMAILS RECEIVED SINCE THE BACKUP.

I have a little proggy somewhere which will actually read .dbx files independently of OE but can't locate it at the mo, I'll post again when I find it.

Found it:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html

I did not know this existed either! I tried to download it but the validation failed! I have Windows XP which has been validated already and I have Office 2000 but I have upgraded Outlook to Outlook 2002. All of these were obtained officially! The validation process seems to be biased towards more modern versions of Office than mine. There is a link on the MS website for older versions of Office but it doesn't lead anywhere that's obviously useful. I can live without this but if there's any obvious reason why the validation doesn't work, I'd appreciare some advice. On a wider note, while backing up your mail is very important, everyone should have a regular back up regime for all important data e.g Word documents, spreadsheets, Favourites.

I use the free version of WinBackup which is available from www.liutilities.com . Amongst other things, it lets you back up your mail without backing up anything else.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

It's quite easy to archive emails in OE. In Windows Explorer go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{07578491-B067-4853-9295-19546B22A91B}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

(where \XXXX\ is your user name plus the big string of letters & numbers between the { } will be different for you)

You'll find a bunch of files with the extension .dbx, such as inbox.dbx, folders.dbx etc. etc. all your mails are contained within these so copy them all somewhere safe.

If you need to restore them at a later date, say to a new PC or after a reinstall of Windows, simply copy them back.

[/quote]

I think that in order to see such files in Windows Explorer you may first have to go to Tools > File Options > View then unclick the box for "hide protected system files" and click on "show hidden files" and another box that I can't tell you what it translates to in English - something to do with "show system exploitation files".  Once you've done whatever you want to do I would switch all these back in case you bugger up the system by deleting or moving something vital.

Are we allowed questions? Does anyone have the remotest idea why, since yesterday, my wireless connection seems to have stopped working in my dining room, and seems to take longer than previously to connect in my living room? Up to yesterday morning it would always just connect as soon as I switched on my laptop.........I ran the diagnostics that come up with IE if the connection fails, and they eventually came up with that old favourite "Contact your ISP". I went up to my office with the laptop and it worked first time on my wireless network as long as I was sitting next to my PC - somewhat defeating the whole objective of having a wireless network! All is now well when I take the laptop downstairs, except in the dining room, where I still can't get any connection. We have not built a lead-lined fallout shelter indoors since yesterday morning, so I'm a bit puzzled. The house hasn't been remodeled except for the addition of a couple of Christmas trees and a poinsettia, so I'm at a loss. The laptop is now being very literal, as I can only use it on my lap, the dining room table having suddenly gone out of bounds........................

My money's on the Poinsettia, they are well known for giving off radiation...................................[:D]

1.   Try changing the channel on your router. I have no reason for saying this other than I found a bit more range on my wifi doing this, and I still don't know why.

2.   Try moving your router to a higher position.

None of this explains why you have a problem now and not before, but it's worth a try.

Sorry, Betty, I know nothing about Wi-fi technicalities. One of many things I know nothing about.  [:(] 

[quote user="crépuscule"]

I probably downloaded WinBackup from:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2149347/winbackup-1-86

so it's an older version of the software but it's completely free and it's easy to use.

[/quote]

I downloaded it and also another freebie backup prog from the same site for comparative purposes:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2159398/cobian-backup

The second one was easier to use and has a 5-min tutorial (hit "Help").  I managed to backup all our photos and files into one folder within 10 mins of downloading the prog and even set up a daily schedule to update/add any new or revised files. 

Now I know it works all I need is a bigger removable memory so I can take everything off the hard drive.

Thank you for the link, Crép.

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="ErnieY"]

It's quite easy to archive emails in OE. In Windows Explorer go to:

[/quote]

I think that in order to see such files in Windows Explorer you may first have to go to Tools > File Options > View then unclick the box for "hide protected system files" and click on "show hidden files" and another box that I can't tell you what it translates to in English - something to do with "show system exploitation files".  Once you've done whatever you want to do I would switch all these back in case you bugger up the system by deleting or moving something vital.
[/quote]

You are quite right of course Cassis and thank you for pointing it out.

My excuse is that it's long been my habit on all my systems to routinely unhide protected system and also show hidden files and hadn't realised that .dbx files fell into either of theses categories. Does beg the question why ?

Bit like the index.dat files which lurk in every users profile holding details not only of web sites visited but also what you've been searching for on eBay Google and MSN, to name but a few.

index.dat files are normally hidden and undeletable (unless you know how) but absolutely no way are they essential Windows files because if you do manage to find and delete them then Windows simply creates new empty ones at next logon.

You may reach your own conclusions as to why such files exist, are so hidden away and are undeletable...!!!