Re: Old House Prices UK

powerdesal

[quote user="RumziGal"]

[quote user="Teamedup"]WOW talk about super cheap. I can't believe those prices.[/quote]

I'm getting used to house prices here in Englandshire.  In the sense that "merde, that's cheap".   [:)]  

[/quote]

I've just discovered that the house I sold in Wales 10 years ago for 90K has changed hands for 315K  [Www]

That is some serious rate of change. I wish I had kept it    [:(]

On the other hand, my parents sold the house I was born in for less than they paid for it (under £1,000!! - for a 4-bedroomed terraced house with an attic and cellar in a Lancashire mill town.)

Back to the original subject, I went to the AGM of our local walkers' group last night and met a guy who is an amateur local historian. He was born in our village but has just returned to live in the family home after 30 years away.  He remembers when our house was indeed all one room - no bathroom or proper kitchen and what now serves as the bedroom downstairs, even as recently as that, housed some of the animals!  The family - a couple and three children - actually did all live/sleep and eat all in the one big room.  He has offered to do a bit of research into the farm and its history.  Could be interesting.

powerdesal

Joined on 07/01/2006

Sharjah U.A.E

Posts 771

Re: Amazing.....

Edit Post | Delete | Split Posts | Edit User | Moderate User | Move | History

Thread hijack: Coop, Colne when?

Steve

Sharjah + 50 (in France)

Growing Old is mandatory, Growing up isn't - but with age comes wisdom - normally.

192.168.3.4 Report

Today, 12:18

cooperlola

Joined on 05/05/2006

72 - Sarthe - home of les 24 heures du Mans

Posts 1,377

'55-'61, p/d

192.168.3.4 Report

Today, 12:30

Hoddy

Joined on 23/08/2004

.....Forum Moderator..... NW Leics/SE Dordogne

Posts 1,129

I'm about to attempt that ridicule-defying feat

"Thread Splitting"

so that this thread can get back on topic.

Hoddy

192.168.3.4 Report

I still know the guy who ran the butcher's shop in Earby, way back when....  We used to go to the Tempest Arms (we would sit in the car park with a bottle of lemonade and a packet of crisps while the parents propped up the bar), then return to Earby to said butcher's home for tea.  I can still smell the odour of meat which permeated the house, when I think about those times.

Mr C (Surrey born and bred) always thinks that the Earby rugby team should be called The Dragons.

Earby Dragons.... Oh, never mind![:D]

Cooperlola

I'm sorry - you're right about your second post - one of the problems with the hopeless 'thread splitting' software is that it isn't precisely apparent which post will be the first on the new thread.

Steve

Thanks for the picture of Kelbrook on a sunny day. That's not how I remember it I'm afraid.

Hoddy

A french friend of mine's mother died when she was born. She was left 5000ff which at the time would have bought a house in their village. By the time she had reached her majority, all she could buy with the money was a car, such is life.

Our house in the UK, was a third of the price of the one we bought in France. When the madness started, our old english house  went for more than our house in France. Our french mortgage was strange at the time and we owed more than we had borrowed and had a half finished house. So IF we had sold up to move back, we would have gone back in debt, whereas we came with £10k, which was quite a lot at the time. We were effectively exiled during that first mad property boom. IF we had wanted to go back, well, no work, and indebt, nothing very tempting about that was there.

I suppose it is because France is so big that there are places where the geo/economics of the area mean that property is still so cheap. I am still amazed at some of  those prices that were quoted on the other thread though.

Steve I lived in Chepstow before I came here.  Saw a falling down Georgian house that no one would touch.  Paid £23k for it spent in 1992 £28K on it with basically my brother in law and I doing it up over week ends for eighteen months.

Two years ago and on moving here sold it to an Army Officer who did not know what to do with his money for £342K.  Apart from the cash I too now wish I had stayed in that house, it was my soul and just to see it was a picture.  Still history today is today.

Isnt this a strange british custom where we are so open about our mortgage equity? 

If we take friends over to France to visit Twinx, they look at property, open mouthed.  "Here we go", I think to myself.  I know what is coming.  "How much is this worth"?  Twinkle squirms with embarrassment as the French raise their eyebrows at each other.  "This is my home", they say.  Twinkle then intervenes with here polite well rehearsed statement "They dont think like that darling" and quickly changes the subject.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Katie. When we go home our close friends never say anything about their house value but for sure, at some time or another, some other folks in the pub, or wherever, will get around to saying "So just how much is your place worth in France"

My stock answer now is (and it is quite truthfull to be honest) "No idea, what the hell I can get for it I guess" followed swiftly by the questioner again with  "Oh ours has quadrupled in price since last week, it's now a zillion quid and we only paid a few hundred quid, mind you we've had a new bathroom fitted since"

Jolly bluddy good I say, "Have you seen Sticky Vicky".......that stops 'em short, if they know her, they keep stum and if they don't, then their puzzled look is worth a million words [:)]

It has seemed that for many years, only two things appear to be stock parlance in the UK, the Lotto and the value of ones house (notice, not home) Oh and that chap who wasn't anywhere near being in when we left, Mr Blair, gawd luv 'im [;-)]

Ive got about £3,50 in an old post office account and a UK bank account that the manager threatens to take off of me if i dont pay in more cash ??  My house here in France is worth probably about..............400.000 euro.....just a pity it isnt mine [:P]

Yeah who cares how much you have, as long as you have enough...............

[quote user="Just Katie "]I had a friend living in Mexico who told me it was quite normal to ask people their bank account balance[:-))].  What's yours Miki?[:D][/quote]

Same as last time you asked me, three 0's behind you still and getting worse. I am but a poor guesthouse proprietor don't you know [:)]

Bug ger the evening meals, although Tina has recently taken a large group for 4 days in August, who will probably want to munch every day. Funny how time makes one soon forget the hard work it makes for us...............

I do hope Leapy Lee is still bouncing about Benidorm and we might even take the time to see Sticky's Daughter this year [+o(] I know we have apparently been booked to go to the Rich B itch......................again !!

Send a us a few bob and we can go to Sitges on the way home, merci buckets.....................[:)]

Really TU?  I take my hat off to you.  My mum always told me to never let your left hand know what the right hand is doing.  She told me to keep a little bit by for a rainy day and not to let him know about it.  However, to have it in the first place would be a good thing.

Nah, he just never asks. He gives me his pay slip unopened. I don't think that he has known what he has earned for 20 odd years now. I have nothing stashed away either. Even when we lived together everything went into the communal pot and I was in charge of it.