Is this a record?

Dick Smith

Is this a forum record for pulling a thread?

A few minutes ago a new thread 'Big Brother' appeared in the Active list. It had one post and no views. When I clicked on it, I got a message saying it didn't exist, and then it went from the list. So we had a thread with one post which nobody saw and it was pulled...

Gay?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it wasn't to do with Big Brother. Another France forum has a lively discussion on this subject that has been going on over a few days now. That begs the question of whether the forums' relative roles have reversed? We used to enjoy robust discussion here, though some more sensitive users did not like them much, and moved to the other forum, which was known as the 'pink fluffy' place where being nice, mutual admiration and non-controversy were the key. Even Dick's kitten proved too controversial and he was banned. Yet now they can address subjects like Big Brother as well as produce lists of the ten things that cost less in Central Brittany than they did in central Tunbridge Wells.

I'd quite like a discussion here about BB, but fear that, on past experience, if I started the topic it would be regarded as trouble making [:D]

I can confirm that there was a thread with one post by Gay about Big Brother. It was on the forum for about 5 minutes and then deleted by Gay. I don't think this is a moderator issue, more of just a user deleting their own post as we can all do this if we wish. Why she deleted it I do not know but if you are that concerned you can always PM her and ask. If we modify or delete post as a moderator we have a standard message we leave in it's place.

Will, I understand that you wouldn't want to be seen as a troublemaker, just as I wouldn't want to be seen as confrontational or, heaven forfend, condescending. But I tend to agree about the forum gender reassignment.

Chris - we can't delete our own posts (at least not if we wait 5 nanoseconds) can mods?

As I read the post I can confirm that it was in connection with Big Brother - but nothing to get concerned or excited about.  I would imagine that it was deleted because someone could have mis-used it as an opportunity to stir up trouble or controversy.  Personally, I think Gay was wise (& very quick!!) in her decision to pull it.

Thanks for the explanation Quillan, so that's good, there's no problem with talking about Big Brother.

I can confirm what Dick says - I tried a post, starting a topic about BB in the Lounge, and hit the delete button immediately it appeared, but was told the forum is configured so that posts cannot be deleted after an unspecified time limit. I know that mods don't have that particular restriction - so if nobody has replied to my post feel free to remove it if you want. It might be worth leaving though. I think we are all sensible adults who know the code of conduct well enough to be able to have a lively discussion but stay within its boundaries. [:)]

I like threads like this: this is where good solid background information emerges, and how one might begin to construct a series of psycho-social profiles of other, more seasoned forum users, and see where all the strings are located. Especially when there are covert references to what happens on other fora which "one" might have come across also...

In many ways, logging onto a forum like this one is like watching a soap every day. Or following the Tour de France for 3 weeks, or the World Cup - I just love it!

BTW - the BB thread, elsewhere, might run for many pages, but as some might say, it is quality, not quantity that counts!

You may be surprised, 5 element, but I actually agree with what you say. Dick also has a good point, I see 'our' BB thread has attracted a few posts already - mostly from people anxious to say that they don't watch it. An interesting psycho-sociologial, or even socio-political issue there, perhaps.

[quote user="Will "]

- mostly from people anxious to say that they don't watch it. An interesting psycho-sociologial, or even socio-political issue there, perhaps.

[/quote]

Will, for the clearly less educated members of this forum. what are you on about exactly ?

[quote user="Renaud"]The aspect of Big Brother I most enjoy is that Gordon Brown flies out to India to show what a serious international statesman he is - and just gets asked questions about Jade Goody.[/quote]

What else should we ask the pension thief about? He lies about most other things..........[Www]

Bugbear, that would be telling. [:D]

In a word, or two words, it's all to do with people-watching.

i.e. start a topic or make a comment, probably a bit tongue-in-cheek, and see how the users respond. The "I don't watch big brother but..." thing is, to bring it down to the BB level, a bit like the old lady who complained to the police that her neighbour over the road often flashed at her from his bedroom window. When the constable went round he was mystified - "Madam, you can't even see the man's bedroom window from your room". "I can if I stand on top of the wardrobe" was the reply. That probably doesn't really explain it, but I think 5 element knows what I am talking about.