English as she is spoke ?

tegwini

What an interesting thread this is turning out to be!  For once, I am in total agreement with Dick (and with Will).

The subject line alone should alert posters to what the thread is about.  Therefore, if people feel less than interested or, indeed, perhaps even threatened, then they shouldn't have anything to do with it.  Quite simple really, rather like the on-off switch on the box; you are after all at liberty to use it rather than "endure" any programme that you dislike.

To be fair to the so-called "pedants", they are, in this case, not the ones doing the ridiculing.  As I remember it, common mistakes were pointed out and a sense of irritation and even outrage at these errors expressed.  No one stretched out any accusing finger.  It seems to me that the people jumping up and down crying foul, are the very ones showing an inverted and perverse snobbery by pointing at themselves and saying, "Look at me, I make these mistakes but see if I care!"

Why oh why is it assumed that just because you write well, you are somehow guilty of self-importance or looking down on others?  Is it truly inconceivable that you write well because you take a pride in expressing yourself correctly and eloquently and that you don't do it to somehow annoy others or to show them up?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been reading something in today's Telegraph. It was about blogs, but it said that on the internet people can't judge you by whether or not you have brushed your hair or if you have baby sick on your skirt (obviously written for the Boden brigade, but that's not really relevant). What you are judged on is your wit and the quality of your writing.

Forums are obviously not quite the same, but I think the same principle holds good. Your writing is one of the few indications of what type of person you are. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

What an interesting thread this is turning out to be! 

The subject line alone should alert posters to what the thread is about.  Therefore, if people feel less than interested or, indeed, perhaps even threatened, then they shouldn't have anything to do with it.  Quite simple really, rather like the on-off switch on the box; you are after all at liberty to use it rather than "endure" any programme that you dislike.

[/quote]

I agree this is an interesting thread , but surly the op invited opinions .....mine is different from yours but we are all entitled to our own.

As regards the on/off , if you do not like the grammar in a post you also can use the off .....it works both ways.

I thought that the title of the thread was ironic?  I'm sure we all know forum members, here and elsewhere, who write much as they speak. In my opinion it doesn't always lead to great spelling or grammar, however it is sometimes those members who are most generous with good, solid, information.

Shouldn't it be 'English as she is writ '?[:)]

PS. Shall we have the math/maths debate again ?

Very true, Krusty, and I ain't gonna quarrel with you, so there!  Actually, I don't really care what other people's grammar or spelling are like these days. 

I used to humph a bit when I was the person sifting through job applications and CVs and letters were badly written.  Nowadays, however, I am a retired person in France and the people on the forum are not wanting me to give them a job, so no probs.

As it happens, I do often "switch off", not just because a thread bores me but even in social situations when what I hear is not to my liking.  How rude is that?  But then, I intend to be a perfect dragon now I feel I've earned myself the right to be one.  See, I can be "crusty" too!

Haha.  Perhaps the heat generated on this thread has been distracting the attention of the moderators.

Elsewhere a brave soul has succeeded in slipping a rude word past the censorship department.

[quote user="dave21478"]

Selfish I know, but I dont give a chuff about the potential eco benefits or problems, I was just after cheaper motoring…

[/quote]

How can he get away with that, when other posters cannot even use the word for a male fowl without suffering auto-deletion?

Zoot! Someone has left the (ex) possum flap unlocked, if this forum is to return to Dick making ridiculous and frankly sad jibes at spelling and grammer, I'll head for the door before the stampede starts, he has previous for forum death on this front!

There is a life out there, go on, go get yourself one!

I'm still bemused that 'bastardisation' passed muster yet when I wrote the first 3 letters of confidence it earned a ***

I believe the filtering system is US based which is why you can cheerfully and confidently write 'sweet Fanny Adams'

Bizarre [8-)]

The 'nasty word' filter is used by all the forums run by Archant and as there are a couple of football forums (so I am told)  and others that link to newspapers etc some words which we might consider normal in the right context have to be banned. There are some sad people out there apparently.

If you do find a word that is offensive and can explain why then please feel free to report it and we will pass it on to the 'powers that be' for consideration. I have to say that in regards to this forum I think some of the words that are banned are stupid but unfortunately we have to live with this list of ban words.

One such word I came across was c0n as in "he/she is a c0n artist". I am told that this word is banned because it means something very rude in French and you wouldn't expect anyone in this forum to use it's English equivalent.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"] Based upon the above comments, it would appear that there is a large section of the population who are not only proud of their inability to use English correctly, but seem to believe that possessing this ability is a gift only visited upon the deeply psychologically disturbed. Should we, therefore, accept the fact that being able to spell, or to use our own native language correctly is a source of shame? It looks like it.[:(] [/quote]

Spot on as usual, Betty. [:)]  Given that this thread and the comments you posted are on forums dedicated to all things French, I do wonder how people manage to make headway learning French if they cannot even express themselves correctly in their native language?

[quote user="Panda"]

Zoot! Someone has left the (ex) possum flap unlocked, if this forum is to return to Dick making ridiculous and frankly sad jibes at spelling and grammer, I'll head for the door before the stampede starts, he has previous for forum death on this front!

There is a life out there, go on, go get yourself one!  [/quote]

Ouch! [:(] Why pick on Dick alone - lots of us have been making similar points, because we feel the same way about sloppy grammar and spelling. Are we all ridiculous and sad? [8-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Yes, that lady dog thing is really stupid.  And what about the childish nickname for cats?[/quote]

Did you know that on the Piccadilly Line you can travel between Cockfosters and Arsenal?

Let's see if this gets through.

[quote user="Will"]

Whether it is good manners or not, I find there is a certain degree of satisfaction to be gained from doing something to the best of one's ability, and that includes grammar and spelling.

[/quote]

Sadly, many of those who make the errors listed in this thread ARE doing things to the best of their ability, therein lies the problem. Out of interest, you use "point" where I (most ?) would use "stop" - a printing background ?

John