Land Rover

powerdesal

I have been informed (in no uncertain terms !) that the reason for a 4 x 4 is the height of the seat for entry / exit.

I had (to my shame ) failed to consider the existing back problem of getting into / out of the usual modern low-slung saloon cars.

The latest "look at" is the Kia Sorento, which is apparently the Caravan Club tow car of the year 2008.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find that real 4X4's have a harder suspension and you 'bounce' more. I had no problem with the Disco but then I had a MkII version with the better seats, the Mk1 Disco had a reputation for giving people backache. It's not just the getting in and out. The Volvo is very comfortable and excellent for towing because it was never built as a proper off roader and designed to do these more mundane things. There is also the Land Cruiser, drove my friends for a couple of weeks now that was like the Grand Cherokee, driving from an armchair, excellent for comfort. The big diesel does around 36 to gallon as well. I was lucky to get  better than 16mpg out of little Cherokee. I see that the diesel versions are going for around £7k on Ebay for a 2000 model. High on car tax mind.

Steve, then I'd say you're back to at least giving the X-trail a decco if nothing else.  Interestingly, the 2WD version has the same towing capability as the 4x4 and is cheaper and has all the same engine options but the same advantage of being easy to get in and out of.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Steve, then I'd say you're back to at least giving the X-trail a decco if nothing else.  Interestingly, the 2WD version has the same towing capability as the 4x4 and is cheaper and has all the same engine options but the same advantage of being easy to get in and out of.[/quote]

I certainly did look, very interesting I thought, until I read the many pages of owners reviews on the What Car site, Page after page of multiple turbo failures, intercooler failures, ecu failures all costing lots of dosh. Abysmal after sales service from a disinterested Nissan Motor Co.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I will give the x trail a miss at this time. It does look to be a nice motor though.

Maybe Nissan France are better, as that is not my experience thus far (everything I own is crossed as I type!)  I also always get a follow up phone call from Nissan France about a week after mine has visited the dealer (mind you, that's only twice since I bought it.) to ask about the service I got.

We bought a Mitsubishi in Germany and imported it to France four years ago. Since then we have used Mitsubishi agents in Charente Maritime twice.  On both occasions we felt that we had been ripped off.  We now use a local “toutes marques” garage, which is OK. Next one will be a Jeep!

Pete

not

Sue

[quote user="Pushkin"]

We bought a Mitsubishi in Germany and imported it to France four years ago. Since then we have used Mitsubishi agents in Charente Maritime twice.  On both occasions we felt that we had been ripped off.  We now use a local “toutes marques” garage, which is OK. Next one will be a Jeep!

Pete

not

Sue

[/quote]

The only negative thing about the jeep is that they did have a reputation of the gearbox locking up. I had a problem on both on mine where it would not come out of diff-lock which on tarmac is very dangerous as it 'winds' the drive-shafts up and they can snap. There have been cases of them whipping through the bulkhead. OK it's been like one in a million as it were but if it's going to happen it will happen to me. This started happening on mine but fortunately off road and after the third time I thought "sell the car",

With the Grand it's electronic and there were instances of it switching from 2 to 4 wheel drive automatically above 60MPH which wrecks the gearbox. I seem to remember there was a thing about this on Watchdog some time back. Having said that I had no problems with my Grand and the wife said it was one of the most comfortable cars she had ever been in. We did tow with it and at times it was difficult to remember you had something attached unless you looked in the mirror. Not the most economical car I have ever had mind.

Funny you said about the Mitsubishi. A friend of mine had a pickup and the water pump went. I took him to the main dealer at Carcassonne, he had to order the part and it took a week. Funny thing was there was a label on it with an address in the UK so I got the feeling that's where it came from. It was expensive as well and there were a few French guys there ordering parts and they weren't to happy about the prices either. Tell you what though, Disco parts are a lot cheaper in France, new headlight for mine cost 98 Euros including tax AND it came with a bulb already fitted.

Hi

I have had a Freelander, auto/diesel, for 5/6 years now, and whilst certainly I have had one or two problems, on the whole it has behaved itself.    I understand the petrol version experiences more problems.

I certainly would be cautious about towing anything heavy and high at speed with it, but otherwise have found it o.k.  It is easy to get in and out of, does not hold a great deal of luggage etc, reasonable on fuel consumption, like most 4x4s does not have a good turning circle, feels sturdy, and I think is quite goodlooking!  Had a Defender until 6 mon ths ago which i found impossible to get in and out of without a step.

Good luck

• 1 month later...
Further to my investigations of what motor to buy.

We (ie I) seem to be coming down quite heavily in favour of a Kia Sorrento or Sportage or possibly the Tucson which is basically a badge engineered version of the sportage ( or vice versa ).

Unfortunately I cant persuade the dealers here to order a diesel version, they only do petrol, however the price of the 2.7 V6 petrol (sportage) is about 50% of the French priced diesel variant (the petrol version is not marketed in France).  The Sorrento 3.3 V6 is similarly  about 50% of French  diesel model price.

Given the savings, the interest on that amount would just about cover the extra cost of petrol over diesel fuel per year, calculated on average miles and existing fuel price differentials.(nb Now out of date as prices change daily)

My only concern is the availability of servicing / spares in France for a petrol version.

Difficult choice.[:(]

There are at least two of us on this forum who have Tucson diesels. I am a member of a Tucson forum which is popular amongst Americans who also only have the option of the petrol models. Most of them have the 2.7 V6 and spend all of their time moaning about the fuel consumption, which works out at about 2.5 times that of the diesel.

Kia and Hyundai are the same company these days.

If you do a search for Hyundai Tucson on google.fr, you will find that you can buy them new for about 5000 euros less than the dealer price.

I have never seen a petrol one in France, even on my visits to the dealer to pick up an oil filter every now and then, there are none in the showroom.

If you were to buy a car from outside Europe would you get a European certificate of conformity? If not you may find that it is more expensive than you think in the long run.

As the second Tucson diesel owner on this forum, I can second everything Bob T said.  Very pleased with mine and I get average of 7.2 l/100 Km in normal uasage. Goes up to 7.6 on fast motorway runs but I think that's OK.

Looked at KIA and although they are basically the same I was put off for 2 reasons.

1) Hyundai had more bells and whistles for the money and at the time, were fitting a more powerful yet more economical engine than the Kias.

2) my son remarked, 'So KIA, does that stand for Killed In Action'?  Put me right off them

Tucson in Luxembourg will sell you a diesel Tucson at a good price, I even got a substantial reduction after a bit of haggling, and the will register it in France for you no problem.

Thanks BobT and PierreZFP for your input.

I am shocked by the figures quoted by BobT, I used the manufacturers figure of 28.2 mpg for the 2.7 V6 and am horrified that the quoted owners are only getting 16mpg, paricularly as I am getting 19mpg from my 9 year old 3.2 liter V6 LWB Isuzu Trooper, which is bigger, heavier and (probably) has a higher drag coefficient. Thats in high ambient air inlet conditions and of course with aircon on continuously.

How on earth can anyone make a meaningful comparison when the manufactureres produce such wildly innaccurate figures.

Just out of interest, this is how the numbers work out:-

Cost of top spec Tucson diesel in France = E29980

Cost of top spec Tuson 2.7 V6 in UAE   = E 13495    (nb, this is actually the sportage price, I am told that the equivalent Hyundai is actually cheaper, but have not got the actual price - yet)

Cost saving E 16485.

Return on cost saving at 5% = E824.25

Annual mileage 12000 miles (taken as standard to work to)

MPG of 2.7 V6....28.2mpg  (from makers spec)

MPG of diesel .....39.8mpg   ( ditto                  )

litres per year petrol = 1934.5,   Cost at E1.465 / l  = E 2834

litres per year diesel = 1370.7    Cost at E 1.425 /l  = E 1953.24

Extra cost spent on petrol  = E880.76

Net loss on saving each year = E56.51

Of course, as the manufacturers specs are highly suspect then the above numbers are pretty meaningless    [:(]

List price of top spec Tucson in France is inded nearly 30K euros, but I looked around on the web and found a dealer in Cahors who was selling my top spec diesel at 5000 under list price.

I also get about 7 to 7.1 liters per 100 km out of mine, but don't know what that would be in mpg.

[quote user="powerdesal"]I realised that Ernie, I was being accurate for Mickleover.

I wonder if BobT's american posters are basing their poor mpg figures on US gallons, it would seem a logical thing for them to do.

[/quote]

Thanking you for your thoughts,when you reach 70+ come bank and talk.