uk fuel crissis dont panic

woody234

there are reports of people panic buying fuel because of the 4 day strike by shell tanker drivers, now the petrol stations in yeovil have run out of fuel, how long does it normally take to fill up the petrol stations after a tanker strike

Most of the petrol station in our town are shut and have no fuel[:-))]

I did fill up earlier in the week, cost me over £100[:-))]

But as I do this only about once a month anyway so for me it was normal but others I have seen filling up cans and filling their boots, Mad!!

Funnily enough it was the shell station that is still open[blink]

[quote user="woody234"]thanks for replys, also is it true that if you drive slower you consume less petrol, ie driving 180miles on a motorway at 60mph instead of 70mph[/quote]

The more work the engine has to do, the more fuel it will use, so accelerate steadily, change gears without over revving and basically make sure that your ride is smooth and plan ahead. You'll probably save a couple of mpg's driving like that.

I freewheel a lot more now than before and really see the difference on the fuel computer and at the pumps , what they say is correct in that the engine is consuming fuel whereas none is used above a certain rev limit on a closed throttle.

However if you freewheel down a hill that has either a flat stretch or uphill the other side i.e. no junction or traffic lights the inertia you build up will carry you much further the other side than if you had remained in gear on a closed throttle.

The effect of engine braking is much more severe on diesels like mine and hance the gains are even greater.

I currently average 63 mpg on a VAG TDI engine that has covered 240.000 miles, this drops to around 55mpg when I am going backwards and forwards to the dump and builders merchants with an overloaded trailer.

My consumption was more like 50 to 55 overall before the price of diesel rocketed, I drive a bit slower now but not significantly.

My personal best was 73mpg on a 10 mile run, a petrol engine would have only just reached engine temparature and peak efficiency at that distance.

God help us if there was ever a proper crisis with either fuel or food, then you would see so called civilised people turn really nasty.

I was involved in retailing fuel in the early 1970s when coupons were issued but then never used.  I witnessed more than one fight break out at the pumps when drivers became aggressive over the thought that somebody else might have had a drop more than them.  It was a melee worse than women surging through the doors at a jumble sale and that is scary enough.

Curiously it is always other people that panic, never oneself.  After the dust had settled, when the Israelis duffed up the arabs in the six day war, there was more fuel swilling about in vehicle fuel tanks than in garage storage tanks.  As business then was rather slow I had a sign on my door saying "Panic buyers welcome here." 

Incidentally, altering your driving to increase mpg seems to me rather pointless if you have enough fuel in your tank to last a month.

Edited :-

Can't wait for Carrefour to open tomorrow, I have heard there is going to be a bread shortage[:-))]

[quote user="Weedon"]

God help us if there was ever a proper crisis with either fuel or food, then you would see so called civilised people turn really nasty.

[/quote]

There's an old saying that any government is only 3 meals away from revolution.

In this world, I'd say it's less. You only have to see the shops after a couple of days break like at Xmas, they're packed. It's like none of these people have never seen a shop before. Shopping's crap at the best of times, let alone when everyone's lost a couple of days of their favourite pastime!