Sergeant quits

Boiling a frog

Since when has one time mediocre political reporter been classed as a 'celebrity' [blink]

It wouldn't surprise me at all me if the phone votes were rigged to keep Sergeant in to perpetuate the controversy and ensure the next weeks viewing numbers.

IMO BBC TV has prostituted it's principals and has long since relinquished the moral high ground of broadcasting.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to Strictly, it's proved a useful showbusiness grounding for the minor celebrities who go on to bigger and better things.

Like that Dale Winton gameshow where they wear white lycra bodysuits and plastic bike helmets and where a giant lump of polystyrene comes along and knocks them into a water tub.....

At least with Strictly, you got to see a bit of leg..............[Www]

[quote user="ErnieY"]Since when has one time mediocre political reporter been classed as a 'celebrity' [blink]

It wouldn't surprise me at all me if the phone votes were rigged to keep Sergeant in to perpetuate the controversy and ensure the next weeks viewing numbers.

IMO BBC TV has prostituted it's principals and has long since relinquished the moral high ground of broadcasting.

[/quote]

As some of the remit of the BBC is to entertain I think talking about 'prostituting it's principals' is a little OTT  - [Www]

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="Thibault"]

If you don't like it - don't watch! 

[/quote]

I don't like it and I don't watch it but.... it's hard, if not impossible, to avoid the wall to wall reporting of this insignificant event on the news, papers etc.
[/quote]

As more than 20% of the UK population supposedly watch this programme,  what is happening on there is more relevant and of interest to many in the UK than what is happening in the rest of the world.  Funny how all the stuffed shirts who never watch it know all about it though!![8-)]  Coverage out of proportion Derek?  Of course it is but John Sargeant is a well known figure, he was the Political Editor of ITN for many years and on most people's TV on a nightly basis.

Anyway, a bit of trivia makes a nice change from all the crap being churned about the so called credit crunch where a load of people who could not afford to have loans and credit cards in the first place have now had them taken away and don't know what to do to get their little pampered brats toys and games they cannot afford!!  Woman today on GMTV HAD to resort to a loan shark to buy her kids their  Christmas toys, but may have done better not buying the plasma  screen TV on the wall instead!!

Well Ron, as one of the "stuffed shirts who never watch it"..... how could I avoid knowing about it,  the coverage is wall to wall.

That is my point. I've no issue with a lighhearted mention on the news but the amount of coverage is out of all proportion.

DerekJ, like you I think the reportage is out of all proportion as are some of the reactions to it. I've been a fan of the programme since it started, but I don't watch it to the exclusion of all else and I often have never heard of the 'celebs' who participate, including the woman who won last year. I have never voted for anyone.

I'm glad that Sergeant has gone because I thought he was turning it into a farce. Last week, Cherie Lunghi, also an older than average contestant and a much better dancer, went out because he was in.

It's only a bit of light entertainment on Saturday night for goodness sake.

Hoddy

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Thibault"]Strictly [...] raises money for Children in Need.[/quote]

Not any more, it doesn't!

[/quote]

Correct.

Because it has been associated with CiN in previous years there's an assumption by the less observant viewers that this is still the case. It isn't. There's no charitable donation aspect to this year's phone calls.

I wonder if that's why this year seems to be bitchier and more competitive than in previous years. Everyone would have applauded JS getting 40% of the popular vote each week because that would be a huge sum being raised for charity. As it isn't for charity, the less articulate (than JS) and more hypocritical judges and "celebs" have got their spangly knickers in an unattractive twist over the "unjustified" success of a 64-year-old with two left feet.[:P]

Lionel Blair made a good point on TV last night (words I thought that I would never write) regarding the effect that the dresses that the female 'celebs' wear.

Cheri Lungi he maintained was so embarrassed (sp) by her frock that it had a bearing on how she danced. Also the poor girl wearing the lampshade got low votes because she looked so tacky.

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]At least with Strictly, you got to see a bit of leg..............[Www] [/quote]Well I'm shocked [:'(]

[/quote]

I agree, Erns.  Never thought SD could have posted THAT!

Blimey, I idolised that man and now he's turned out to have feet of clay!

My goodness, what is the world coming to???????????[:(]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

To be fair to Strictly, it's proved a useful showbusiness grounding for the minor celebrities who go on to bigger and better things.

Like that Dale Winton gameshow where they wear white lycra bodysuits and plastic bike helmets and where a giant lump of polystyrene comes along and knocks them into a water tub.....

At least with Strictly, you got to see a bit of leg..............[Www]

[/quote]

You dont REALLY watch that do you SD?, or was it just whilst waiting for the next prog to start (Merlin was after it wasn't it?)

[quote user="Renaud"]Lionel Blair made a good point on TV last night (words I thought that I would never write) regarding the effect that the dresses that the female 'celebs' wear. Cheri Lungi he maintained was so embarrassed (sp) by her frock that it had a bearing on how she danced. Also the poor girl wearing the lampshade got low votes because she looked so tacky.[/quote]

What do they do with the frocks afterwards (if they are allowed to keep them)?  I can't see them being able to wear them to the Oxford Street sales let alone the Berkeley Square Ball.

[quote user="Renaud"]Lionel Blair made a good point on TV last night (words I thought that I would never write) [/quote]

Google results:

"Lionel Blair made a good point on TV last night" - no results and so these wirds have never been written on the internet before, as a complete sentence.  So, Monsieur Renaud, you are unique (but you and I knew that already....).

Lionel Blair "made a good point" on TV last night - 56 results

Lionel Blair made a good point on TV last night (without the quotes) - 27,300 results

[quote user="Cathy"]

What do they do with the frocks afterwards (if they are allowed to keep them)?  I can't see them being able to wear them to the Oxford Street sales let alone the Berkeley Square Ball.

[/quote]

Crumpled frocks with missing sequins is one thing; what I really want to know is what they do with the shattered egos?

It's Mrs Ern here after finally getting my login details sorted, I can join in again.

Just wanted to say, I love Strictly and enjoy annoying him indoors when he's home and I want to watch it live or recorded whilst he still has his eyes open.  Glad JS went but thought their last dance was quite charming.  Wish Cheri was still in it though.

At the risk of annoying the "reality" haters, I can't wait for the return of Dancing on Ice.

I am with you on that one Bluecat as I think Dancing on Ice is incredible. To think some of these celebs have never been on ice skates before and to what they achiieve at the end of the programme is amazing. I say to people don''t knock what you could never manage to do yourselves.