Halal meat . Are you happy to buy it ?

Frederick

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Dog"]

Why haven't you asked these supermarkets why they only sell basic Halaal meat and not the superior Halaal Tayyib?

The reasons you do not get honest labelling is because the whole meat industry is corrupt.

Have you even taken up the offers of traceability of the meat you eat for instance?

[/quote]

A new day so lets all try and be civil.

I have not asked the supermarkets why they only sell only one type of Halal meat to another because I don't eat it. However I might give it a try for the same reasons that Scooby mentioned. As far as I am aware Halal Tayyib meat is organic and no different from eating none Halal organic meat.

I don't think its just the meat industry that is corrupt. As I understand it the whole of the food industry suffers from sharp practices such as moving food from one country to another to claim where it was sourced from.

I have never traced any food back to its origin. To be honest I have to say that one has to have a  fair amount of trust on where your food comes from be it meat, vegetables, fruit or whatever when you buy it in a shop. Even Organic shops have been caught selling items incorrectly marked as being organic. Thats not to say that the shop keepers themselves are doing anything wrong, it has been more often the supplier who has been the culprit. I guess the only way for sure is to grow your own food, breed your own livestock and slaughter it yourself. For me the problem with that is time although I do keep chickens ( a dog, three cats and a wife, guess which is the most expensive [;-)] ) and very happy chickens they are too with a couple of acres to play in and no I don't eat them, my wife having given them all names would never let me. They do produce excellent eggs, much better than I get in shops.

Did I read somewhere that you grow your own veg and are you able to be self sufficient in that respect?

[/quote]

Meat is perhaps the most expensive food item it suffers far more corruption as there is more money to be made.

Tayyib should be more than organic it has welfare standards that give basic rights to the unfortunate animlas.

You glibbly discard the benefits of organic food as no doubt you have read a diversionary piece of work by scientists showing there to be no measurable difference to chemically produced food and yet you prefer non messed about food.

Even if organic food has no benefits that can be measured by men in white coats and no extra vitamins it does have other immeasurable things that you will have difficulty understanding. Plus surely you have to agree that producing without lots of chemicals must have a benefit.

It worries me that you are concerned about BSE, advocate a balanced diet and yet I doubt if you read labels and avoid gelatin for instance.

Sometimes I think you must be on a bonus for winding up the forum to get traffic.

In Dogland we  have slowly built up our veg production plus foraging and are now 80% self sufficent. I am now going to install a brewery to further our aim for 95% home produced products.

All our home produced products are halaal. May the prophet be praised.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about corruption in the meat industry to comment, but I do know from living in a great fruit-producing area of Kent, that many of the pickers live in appaling conditions and are paid c**p wages just so that consumers can get stuff cheaply in supermarkets.  Dog, of course is in the minority in growing most of what he eats, but for the rest - particularly those who live in cities with little or no land and who are working full time to earn a crust - most food is bought in shops.  It's hard to avoid buying anything (flesh, fruit, or veg) at a reasonable price that doesn't involve corruption or exploitation at some stage.

Exactly. I know Kent very well being born and living there. Driving round between Margate and Ramsgate to smell of rotting food in the fields can be overpowering at times. I am told that the cost of picking and packaging it is far more than what the supermarkets will pay.

I have tried many times to grow my own veg but I just don't have the time to cultivate them and where I live now and running the B&B means that I don't have time in either the morning or evening to tend them. The time that I do have is when its very, very hot and its just not on. At present I am construction small raised veg beds with built in watering and hopefully with the use of membranes to keep the weeds down and netting to keep the chickens out I may have better success, fingers crossed.

In Essex I used to drive past really big farms made from two or more farms being combined that were owned by different supermarkets, run by managers, specifically growing low cost food. I suspect its the same in meat farming as well. So all in all I think the supermarkets have a lot to answer for.

Likewise I remember the campaign to get people to buy free range chickens instead of cheap farmed ones. All well and good if you can afford it but sadly not all large families and pensioners can afford to pay that sort of money.