What good cause would you spent your euro lottery millions on ?

Frederick

I get the feeling that many on this forum are good people and if they were the winners of the euro lottery they would spend generously on a good cause Christine I imagine would open a dog rescue centre . I would want to provide a self catering holiday village like a Center Parks for the disabled and their families . What good cause would you like to see lottery winners support .

I'm not sure.  Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) charities would have to be high up there (just because I have EDS and know how little understood and poorly recognised it is). Mental health would have to be another.  It has less funds than most of the other charities (including animal charities) and yet mental health problems are wide reaching and devastating.  Drugs rehabilitation would be another - too many people get to the point where they want to kick the habit only to find there is a 6 month waiting list for rehab and the moment is lost.  This is a completely crazy situation IMHO.  Animal charities wouldn't get anything I'm afraid (sorry Christine).  In the UK animal charities get more funds than most other causes which I find bizarre - why should animals be treated better than human beings??  (And yes, we are animal lovers and have had a series of rescue dogs...but perspective, please)

Would I want to win £45m?  I really don't think I would.  I think a win of that size would change your life irrevocably and not for the better.  Imagine being constantly suspicious of peoples motives, being worried about the welfare of your family, of the risk of kidnapping, extortion, fraud.  My elderly parents would soon be known as 'the parents of the lottery winners' and be hounded, be forced to move, lose their circle of friends...  It would become a nightmare.  A win of £1m -£2m would give you a wonderful life without all the above - which would be a good reason to give most of it away I guess!!

If I won £45 million, I'd firstly give my friends some money.

With the remaining £45 million, I would split perhaps £20 million between animal charities and cancer charities. I don't like that new charity that has just been formed, banks. They wouldn't get any.

This is actually hard when you think about it.

Scoby makes an excellent point, too much money causes so much extra stress. The more you have, the more you have to lose.

I think £5 million would be ample. I'd like to see the world a bit more. I really have no idea what and who I'd give a lot to.

The mere thought of winning that amount of money would frighten me to death.

I guess a reasonable win would improve most peoples lives but 45 million ?

After providing for your family and friends you'd have to give it away as quickly as possible.

At least, I would.

£45 million, well, after the family were set up, I'd be looking at some of the charities I worked with in the UK - Common Ground, FoE and for research into PRV which I have etc., funding for building schools in under developed countries - one of our real concerns, lack of education everywhere - and if possible found an academic chair into child abuse in J's name.

In France, Resto de Couer, which I think is the dogs doodles for charitable work.

I have no wish to change my life, but it would be nice not to worry about maintaining it at it's present, rather ascetic, level.  Once I could do that, and as most of you say, protect and help those you love, I would like to become a fairy godmother.  Spend the time I don't spend working on the garden or doing work on the house, searching for people and causes I would truly like to support and doing it anonymously.  I would never tell anyone if I won a lottery or similar (which I won't as I've never bought a ticket).  [:D]

Firstly I think its interesting to remember what the lottery does, help people.

For every 2 Euros spent on the lottery 1 Euros goes to the company running the lottery, the other Euro goes to the prize fund. 72% of that 1 Euro collect by the company is used to run the lottery (machines in shops etc) and administration, that leaves 28% or cents. You can then break down that 28% as follows, 50% goes to Health, Education, Environment, and charitable causes. Another 16.67% goes to Sports, another 16.67% goes to the arts and the final 16.67% goes to heritage. Under the terms of the contract the lottery company (ies) can't give that money directly, they had to set up agencies to vet the applications for grants and service them accordingly. All charities etc have to do is apply for a grant. Each agency has to publish a full list of everyone they gave money to. I believe I read somewhere that around 30bn Euros has so far been given away to deserving causes since its conception in the late 90's, how true that is I do not know and am happy to be corrected.

Now for me personally I think 45M is too much for one person or family to win but thats me. If I won the 45M I would not give it away initially. My choice is to seek advice and invest it for an income which should give me around 800k per year (at present rates). I would then set up a trust and on my death half the interest would be given to my wife to do with what she wish's and the rest distributed by the trust on an annual basis to good causes. I am sure the good causes would prefer a steady annual gift rather than a one off payment (I also believe there are some tax benefits for the charities when given as a covenant). That is of course my own personal view and what people do with their own winnings is entirely up to them.

[quote user="Jay"]First purchase  HERE
Second purchase HERE
That gets rid of a good chunk of it then I would probably give the wife something for putting up with me all those years.
[/quote]

Oh how I detest that phrase! It puts her on a par with 'the car' or 'the chair'. Surely after 'all those years' she's entitled to be referred to as 'my wife'?

FairyNuff

(who's someone's wife!) [:D]

[quote user="FairyNuff"]

Oh how I detest that phrase! It puts her on a par with 'the car' or 'the chair'. Surely after 'all those years' she's entitled to be referred to as 'my wife'?

FairyNuff

[/quote]

Depends where you come from pet

[quote user="FairyNuff"]

[quote user="Jay"]First purchase  HERE

Second purchase HERE

That gets rid of a good chunk of it then I would probably give the wife something for putting up with me all those years.

[/quote]

FairyNuff

[/quote]

Just been searching for a telephone number for a friend and I came across this in an old post - Can I refer you to http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1637309/ShowPost.aspx

Quote: "We've been into mutiple

offices and spoken to people, who verify that we're in the system (we

do have paper attestations), but that they're waiting for a permanent

social security number from Paris before they will issue one for "him

indoors
", then they'll get round to me I suppose."

Oh how I detest that

phrase! It puts him on a par with 'the dog' or 'the cat'. Surely

after 'all those years' he's entitled to be referred to as 'my husband'?