Hindu wins right for open air burning of his body in UK

Frederick

I now wonder where these sites will be . just how "open " they will be to the population ?...If like in Inda  on a river bank perhaps ... Windsor I  think would be a good place they have a big park the Thames  flowes through to dispose of what does not get consumed by the fire ...Big Asian popluation close by . fits the bill perfectly .

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7021722.ece

Wont bother me Dog ... I do know what burning  bodies smell like ... Next move I expect will be from Zoroastrians  for a Tower of Silence to lay their followers out on a grid for the vultures ... Shame Fred Didnah dropped so many chimneys we may have been able to accomodate them ..Perhaps somthing on the roof of a multy storey car park will do for them .  . We are a bit short on vultures but  buzzards kites crows and magpies may be able to help out ...wont strip a body in 2 hours like a flock of vultures though .

I am sure in spirit Fred would love to light the pyre stand back and say "Didya like that?".

The imprisoned naked rambler on becoming a Sadhu could come and do what some Sadhus do...

Self edited for those of a weak disposition.

[quote user="NormanH"]Why post this on Living FRANCE ?

[/quote]

because it's in "Other Topics" which some folk interpret as being "Other Topics" not "Other Topics about living and working in France" (smileys still not working then)

( I agree with you Norman - it should be the latter)

Perhaps the OP should have read the article in question?

"To comply with the Cremation

Act 1902, the judges said that the ceremonies would merely need to take

place within a building, which, to meet Hindu spiritual requirements, could

be a roof supported by pillars or a walled structure with no roof.

Lord Neuberger said: “Contrary to what everyone seems to have assumed . . . it

seems to us that Mr Ghai’s religious and personal beliefs as to how his

remains should be cremated . . . can be accommodated within current

cremation legislation.
”"

[quote user="Bugbear"]Well, if this muppets dream comes true, I guess that this practice will increase dramatically.[:@]

[/quote]

Well Bugbear- the Muppet is Muslim and they go in for burial I think.  I don't mind Hindus, although I think this issue of cremation is potentially a problem if we, as usual, compromise to the demands of minorities.

But, what he is saying is so scary!   A grim future for any country if they increase their numbers as he hopes.  A  backward step for Britain to be in the control of  people with that faith.  I note so many people oppose what he said on this link.

Tegwini

Tegwini

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]Perhaps the OP should have read the article in question?

"To comply with the Cremation Act 1902, the judges said that the ceremonies would merely need to take place within a building, which, to meet Hindu spiritual requirements, could be a roof supported by pillars or a walled structure with no roof.

Lord Neuberger said: “Contrary to what everyone seems to have assumed . . . it seems to us that Mr Ghai’s religious and personal beliefs as to how his remains should be cremated . . . can be accommodated within current cremation legislation.”"

[/quote]

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/348771867_a727778903.jpg?v=0      This is a "Shamshan Ghat "   The application for to build one in Northumberland was opposed  as it was not in a fully enclosed building    Now the appeal court has said that pillars and an open roof constitute a building for the purpose of Hindu cremations ..I imagine they want to build platforms and stairs next to a river to follow their beliefs . Newcastle Council are not happy on emission grounds ...I would expect that as the law in one EU state now permits these cremations other EU states will follow ... 

I have always disliked undertakers  they are expensive and insincere in my opinion.

£500 is a reasonable price for a funeral - but I would offer it cheaper if you supply your own pile of pallets and half a gallon of unleaded.

The major problems with Hindu au revoirs is the lack of alcohol at the wake but the food is brilliant!

I have attended a number of Sikh and Hindu funerals and it is customary at the end of the ceremony to stand outside the crematorium and wait until you can see smoke issueing from the chimney before you leave. Of course, I understand that this doesn't coincide with what we think happens.

Hoddy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="5-element"]A more altruistic, and perhaps cleaner, send-off, would be to give your body to science. Not only does it benefit others, but it is by far the cheapest option.

http://www.aphp.fr/site/actualite/mag_donducorps.htm

There are lots of other sites on that topic.
[/quote]

You may like to think again if you knew what happened to these bodies.

My elder brother went to medical school at St. Johns Oxford, as part of the course they all had a cadaver - one bright spark cut of a certain male appendage - later he sewed it to the crutch of his trousers and paraded around Oxford on a night made merry with drink.

As you would expect the Police appeared - he ripped the appendage off - threw it down and ran leaving a very puzzled copper.