UK Election called

Russethouse

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I think I make a mistake with the word comprehension meaning understanding. Perhaps I should say superior powers of reasoning.

For example I am quite happy to hand over any medical diagnosis and treatment to a doctor with higher knowledge and skills, but even then I accept miracles are not possible.

I wonder if those days haven't gone for ever except perhaps in the realm of national security and defence. The internet together with improved communications in other media and the freedom of information act, probably means that in some areas the facts that form the basis of decisions made by our politicians, are available to all.

Very true RH and partly because so many now receive a university education (sometimes laughable) and consider themselves knowledgeable in all areas. But that's another story.

I guess some of the greatest minds aren't interested in becoming politicians these days. I wonder what the brightest children at school will aspire to be in the next decade?

[quote user="Celine"]Very true RH and partly because so many now receive a university education (sometimes laughable) and consider themselves knowledgeable in all areas. [/quote]

Which reminds me of the sign I had on my desk in the City, years ago; which stated:

[center]Quick! Ask the Graduate to do it!

Before they forget how to do everything![/center]

I guess some of the greatest minds aren't interested in becoming politicians these days.

A few years ago I met a very bright young chap, exceptional actually, and asked his father if he was interested in politics - not at all, sadly. So I think you are probably right. 

[quote user="Swissie"]Interesting article RH.  I do wonder (and this is true - I have no idea) whether NF votes will be more likely to come from disaffected Tories or Labour?
[/quote]

Err, most likely the "NF" vote will come from people who like and support their policies ????

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I guess some of the greatest minds aren't interested in becoming politicians these days.

A few years ago I met a very bright young chap, exceptional actually, and asked his father if he was interested in politics - not at all, sadly. So I think you are probably right. 

[/quote]

Which again reminds me, RH, of an old story about the Scion of an Italian noble family who was a politician in the frenetic era of Italian politics immediately post WWII.

Over a drink, a very old family friend said to the young man "Your Mama, the Contessa must be awfully proud of you, for taking on such a difficult role in such troubled times!"

Whereupon the man blanched and said, urgently, "Good God! Don't whatever you do inform my dear Mama I'm a politician!"

"She thinks I play the piano in a bordello!"

[:D]

[quote user="ebaynut"]

[quote user="Swissie"]Interesting article RH.  I do wonder (and this is true - I have no idea) whether NF votes will be more likely to come from disaffected Tories or Labour?
[/quote]

Err, most likely the "NF" vote will come from people who like and support their policies ????

[/quote]

Since the British National Front are only hoping, subject to funding to field 12 candidates in the GE: and the BNP are fielding some 870 candidates in the GE, Local and town councils, parish councils, and also in Wales and the Scottish Parliament elections, I feel you actually mean BNP rather than NF.

Griffin, already an MEP of course, is himself fighting Barking against the Labour incumbant, Margaret Hodge.

I was reading in 'The Independent' that although Griffin goes on about how MEP's get outlandish expenses and how disgraceful it is that no audited accounts have been produced the 2 NBP MEP's have claimed £530k between them (£256k each) in expenses. When asked if he could give accounts for these expenditures he refused. I can understand why, I mean if the only job you have ever had was managing a couple of pop groups that never made it to find yourself with £256k in your pocket must be like winning the lottery.

Mind you UKIP have 13 MEP's and I understand they are claiming about the same amount each. Not bad for a party that wants the UK out of Europe, condemns the amount of money the UK gives the EU every year and all those corrupt EU politicians robbing the tax payer blind by claiming large amounts of expenses and never justifying them. Still what do you expect from a party led by an Insurance Salesman, I suppose it could be worse, he could have been a second hand car dealer. [;-)]

Stop it please Quillan - we've had these stupid comments about UKIP before now....and they are still stupid comments.

Farrage and his UKIP team are indeed taking all the expenses on offer from the EU.    They are then drawing attention to - and also gaining publicity for their party - the extremely generous non-receipted expenses they can claim for.

But then they go on to use the money from the EU to fund their own party.

Why not ask the Lord and Lady Kinnock or the Lord Mandelslime about their EU expenses ? 

So yes the UKIP claims the expenses - and then tells the UK tax-payer about it.     Rather honest and open of them I'd have thought !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chessie

A bit disingenuous of UKIP, really, chessie, surely?

"Expenses" are intended to reimburse monies already spent on legitimate pursuit of office: not represent "Bunce" for any other purpose!

Spending such ill gotten gains on political funding whilst more laudable, perhaps, than trousering it, for me simply shows how corrupt taxpayer funded politics at all levels has become.

And BTW, Q, I think it is rather a derogatory statement about Lord Pearson of Rannoch: Malcolm Pearson founded PWS Group, Lloyds and ILU insurance and re-insurance brokers in the London market: and he has stood up and been counted on a number of occasions, such as this:

http://www.lordpearsonofrannoch.co.uk/letters/savonita.pdf

Suggesting he is "An Insurance Salesman" is rather like referring to Libertys as a convenience store!

[quote user="Dog"]Russethouse has a short memory/history as at one time only home owners could vote - not a bad idea really. My eldest stepson suggested today that there should be an IQ test before people can vote.

[/quote]

What was it Churchill said: The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.  So very true!

[quote user="Dog"]Russethouse has a short memory/history as at one time only home owners could vote - not a bad idea really. My eldest stepson suggested today that there should be an IQ test before people can vote. [/quote]

If the rule about home owners were to be applied today, the total eligible would probably be 47.

And perhaps we can extend the IQ test to include potential parents.

John

[quote user="Quillan"]

I was reading in 'The Independent' that although Griffin goes on about how MEP's get outlandish expenses and how disgraceful it is that no audited accounts have been produced the 2 NBP MEP's have claimed £530k between them (£256k each) in expenses.

[/quote]

And where is the missing £18k - I think we should be told.

John

[quote user="chessie"]
Stop it please Quillan - we've had these stupid comments about UKIP before now....and they are still stupid comments.

Farrage and his UKIP team are indeed taking all the expenses on offer from the EU.    They are then drawing attention to - and also gaining publicity for their party - the extremely generous non-receipted expenses they can claim for.

But then they go on to use the money from the EU to fund their own party.

Why not ask the Lord and Lady Kinnock or the Lord Mandelslime about their EU expenses ? 

So yes the UKIP claims the expenses - and then tells the UK tax-payer about it.     Rather honest and open of them I'd have thought !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chessie
[/quote]

I don't think that they use the money to fund their party at all as its gained fraudulently as Tony Wise found out when he got done for embezzlement. It was even worse for Ashly Mote who got sent to prison and thrown out of the party for embezzling expences (OK fraudulant accounting technically).

Farrage managed to 'steal' over £2M according to him when interviewed by the Observer. He said in May 2009 that he would be publishing all his MEP's expenses from June 2009 onwards on a monthly basis (Observer - 24th May 2009). I have had a look at their website and can't find them but if they are there and somebody can give me a link then I apologize in advance.

What I am trying to point out is that you need to look long and hard before casing your vote at current and past performance then have a look for the skeletons and ask yourselves which ones you can live with, none of them are perfect and don't let anyone persuade you that they are.

Sorry I forgot to ask, apart from the one article in the Observer where do they tell the UK public about their expenses being used to fund their party?

[quote user="Richard51"][quote user="Dog"]Russethouse has a short memory/history as at one time only home owners could vote - not a bad idea really. My eldest stepson suggested today that there should be an IQ test before people can vote. [/quote]

What was it Churchill said: The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.  So very true!
[/quote]

Winston Churchill woudn't stand a chance of being elected today, him being a cigar smoking, heavy drinking, aristocrat.

[quote user="Richard51"][quote user="Dog"]Russethouse has a short memory/history as at one time only home owners could vote - not a bad idea really. My eldest stepson suggested today that there should be an IQ test before people can vote. [/quote]

[/quote]

Because Churchill said it does not mean its right. Did he not allegedly say to a lady who called him a drunk, that she was ugly, and in the morning he would be sober?  Thing was he was ugly and drunk and in the morning he was still ugly.

So don't hold on every thing he says.

[quote user="Iceni"]

[quote user="Dog"]Russethouse has a short memory/history as at one time only home owners could vote - not a bad idea really. My eldest stepson suggested today that there should be an IQ test before people can vote. [/quote]

If the rule about home owners were to be applied today, the total eligible would probably be 47.

And perhaps we can extend the IQ test to include potential parents.

John

[/quote]

Now personally, I would insist on a test of political knowledge: such as naming the important cabinet ministers and secretaries of state: plus psychometric analysis: and extend this to include parenting, voting, driving and dog ownership.

Zig Heil !