Downing St Friday morning .

Frederick

Yes but, who paid for Bliar's furniture? Don't forget his expenses claims were mysteriously shredded.

It's a real sad day for the UK to have a 'hung' parliament and that Broon is hanging on still by the tips of his nibbled finder nails.

What a thick skin Brown must have - he must have convinced himself that the cock-up he has made of the UK economy is not really his fault.

Tegwini

Tell you what I think, Brown is stupid. If I were him I would be packing and thanking god for loosing. I would resign as leader, before they sacked me then get a nice job like Special Envoy to Afghanistan (the other one got the best one, Special Envoy to the Middle East), set up a few dodgy companies and start raking in the money. If I were Cameron I would be pleading the LibDems to do a deal with Labour and let me off the hook. [;-)]

Bet those who voted UKIP and BNP are gutted, I mean it was a lost vote from the start. [:P]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Bet those who voted UKIP and BNP are gutted, I mean it was a lost vote from the start. [:P]

[/quote]

Quite agree, bit like voting for Nick Clegg.

This election was a clear case of Do you want five more years of Gordon, or change in the shape of David.

[quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In view of the fact that the Prime Minister (current) and Leader of the Opposition (current) are both actively seeking dialogue with the leader of the Liberal Democrats I don't think that this is an accurate appreciation of the value of LibDem votes.

There's one thing about the aftermath that I just don't quite get.

Everybody has been saying today that Cameron would never get the Conservative Party to buy in to PR (or some other system). Now, with a % of the vote that was 8 pts or so more than Labour, they still can't command an overall majority. Any 'accommodation' which may be arrived at with the Lib Dems is likely to be flakey - these things always are.

Isn't all that a compelling reason for embracing change?  

Daniel Hannan's blog yesterday reported that Jonathan Freedland had reworked Neil Kinnock’s “I warn you…” speech -

If the Conservatives don’t win tomorrow, I warn you not to have a pension. I warn you not to hold savings or own shares. I warn you not to be ambitious, not to be enterprising, not to be patriotic. I warn you not to demand classroom discipline or choice in education. I warn you not to live in southern England. I warn you not to expect public services that serve the public. I warn you not to try to move from benefits into work. I warn you not to hold sterling. I warn you not to own a house. I warn you not to run a business. Above all, I warn you not to offer anyone a job.

[quote user="Gardian"]

There's one thing about the aftermath that I just don't quite get.

Everybody has been saying today that Cameron would never get the Conservative Party to buy in to PR (or some other system). Now, with a % of the vote that was 8 pts or so more than Labour, they still can't command an overall majority. Any 'accommodation' which may be arrived at with the Lib Dems is likely to be flakey - these things always are.

Isn't all that a compelling reason for embracing change?  

[/quote]

Some 'bod' from some university or other did say (on the BBC) that in actual fact PR in this case would make little difference except that whoever got the bigger percentage would form a government without question. In other words he said in this situation it would actually work to the Tories benefit if we had PR.

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In view of the fact that the Prime Minister (current) and Leader of the Opposition (current) are both actively seeking dialogue with the leader of the Liberal Democrats I don't think that this is an accurate appreciation of the value of LibDem votes.

[/quote]

No, it was a wasted vote, anyone who voted for Clegg wasted their vote. There was NEVER a chance anyone other then Gordon or David could be the PM.

Perhaps the TV companies should have put on the old news reports showing the dogs breakfast of a parliament we had when last it was not posible to get things done through no big majority. A lot of voters were too young to remember and had no idea what a Hung Parliament could result in .Again are we to see the sick wheeled into the chamber from hospital beds and members voting arrangements suddenly cancelled to try to trick bills through ? I give it to Xmas then we will all be making sure we are at the polling stations .. this time well before 10pm for another go And hopfully to get a better result .

Because of FPTP system - a huge proportion of votes, even for the 2 current major parties - have been wasted votes. In my 39 years if England, I voted every time, knowing full well that my vote would go straight in the bin because of where I lived - despite voting for 1 of the 2 major parties!

[quote user="Swissie"]Because of FPTP system - a huge proportion of votes, even for the 2 current major parties - have been wasted votes.

[/quote]

That is how democracy works you vote for the result you want the idea(party) with the most votes is successful the other votes are not necessarily wasted because the give an indication of strength of feeling for the other ideas which should be taken into account by the winner.

[quote user="Quillan"]

Tell you what I think, Brown is stupid. If I were him I would be packing and thanking god for loosing. I would resign as leader, before they sacked me then get a nice job like Special Envoy to Afghanistan (the other one got the best one, Special Envoy to the Middle East), set up a few dodgy companies and start raking in the money. If I were Cameron I would be pleading the LibDems to do a deal with Labour and let me off the hook. [;-)]

[/quote]

Brown was interviewed last week and announced if and when he steps down, he wouldn't pursue a future in the business or finance sector. He would however be very interested in working within the charity sector.

From this statement it would appear the buffoon realises he is unemployable, but there again once he receives his Golden Handshake and pension it's extremely unlikely he will be short of a pound or two.

Unfortunately the man is so arrogant, it is unlikely he will stand-down of his own will. It will need the efforts of senior ministers and party members to effectively kick him out.