Is the nature of the forum changing?

woolybanana

Well, I have just been wondering whether the crise and the fact that loadsa Brits have been going back means that the nature of discussion on the forum is changing. There seem to be many fewer setting-up type questions and more discussions involving people who have left France but who are now looking back, eg idun and Pranda, and who therefore have a different perspective. And it seems that the France good, UK bad postings have gone too.

The breathless, naive worshipping of the country has eased, it seems, with much more hardnosed input - that is no bad thing. I reckon we need a lot more in depth stuff like this. It is a pity that Normie is not as active as he was for his little road side posts didn't half detonate well sometimes. But I guess he has other dusky fish to fry!

Personally, I have reached the point where I find visitors from across the water rather odd creatures as their perspectives seem so distant and unrelated to my reality here.

Just a thought!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be correct or things may have changed over the summer months as the majority have been very busy or enjoying the sun leaving only the seller uppers and moaners at the computer.

Would the UK let you in or are the CID still looking for you?

I agree WB - in fact Mr R51 and I were saying the same last night.  I remember when we first joined (about 5 years ago - as Hastobe (with the duc(k)t tape piccy)) there were so many anti Britain posters who were all painting wonderful (and very unrealistic) images of France that I wondered if they were floating in some parallel universe.  It's sad that the economy has forced some back across the water but refreshing to read a more realistic comparison of the UK and France.

Mrs R51

Mmm.  No doubt, like me, you've found the story that 5-E posted somewhat disturbing and, I thought, a bit of a throwback.  Whether it's just this forum or all the "expat" ones I don't know but I'm certain that the naive incomer is still out there somewhere.  But of course, anybody who comes on here gets the blinkers ripped off pretty sharpish.

Last weekend I went to a gathering which is held every so often by a group of Brits who live within a 50k-or-so radius.  Now, I am very friendly with some of them because I knew them before I came here, but most I only know through this irregular meetng.  In the main, we are rather hermit-like and do our own thing.  But I'm amazed even now at how ignorant (and by that I don't mean stupid/unintelligent or anything else derogatory, just in its truest sense) of the country they are in, these people are.  A couple who were there have had a house here for years but have only just moved over declared that the French government "would not be allowed to" deny them health care once their E106s expire.   Another was telling somebody who was here on holiday that they would "easily find work" if they wanted to move over because "the French don't want to work."

One of the reasons I like LF is that we don't get so much of "the British this, the French that" attitude, and if we do somebody is usually about to refute it. 

My experience last weekend rather left me feeling the way you describe, oh wooly fruit. I'm not sure I belong to that set any more (and that's certainly not because I've intergrated!)

[quote user="woolybanana"]Might we ban all use of the word and discussions of the concept of integration, svp?[/quote]Spoil sport!

Dog, old chap, please add those of us who are stuck indoors against their will! (Although you'll be pleased to hear that I got my new license the other day so am allowed to drive outside France and thus am en route to Silverstone in the morning.)

I have seen the same as Coops, people who have been here for a good while yet are still largely ignorant, or at best misinformed, about many basic aspects of life in France.

I am happy to admit that but for the likes of this forum I too would know an awful lot less than I do and I certainly had no inkling of the risque lifestyle that bananas (wooly or otherwise) would appear to lead [;-)]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Might we ban all use of the word and discussions of the concept of integration, svp?[/quote]Spoil sport!

Dog, old chap, please add those of us who are stuck indoors against their will! (Although you'll be pleased to hear that I got my new license the other day so am allowed to drive outside France and thus am en route to Silverstone in the morning.)

[/quote]

Sorry I forgot you.

I heartily dislike Silverstone as a race track - so flat and boring and now bumpy - it's always cold and windy.

Get yourself an Ordance Survey map there are two public rights of way through the circuit - so why pay to get in.

Park for free around the back of Stowe School - bit of a walk but saves money. May not be for you as a bit of a walk.

Forgot to add I know the artist that did all the art for the posters when it first became a race track.

I have free tickets.  Also permission to park in the circuit.  However, thanks for the tips, they may well come in useful in the future. 

I agree Silverstone is not my favourite venue but the end of the LMS season is worth the trip ( as I had other things to do at the same time)     especially with a team invitation thrown in.

EDIT : Plus, of course, three nights' camping with a load of drunken mates. [:D]

(Sorry to hi-jack your thread, m'dear.)

I am unashamed to say that I came here with zero research after seizing what I perceived to be a bargain with both hands which subsequently dictated my future for the last 5 and a half years.

So effectively I had no idea what to expect and few preconcieved notions although one mustnt underestimate the effect of all those Amanda Lamb and Nigel and nippy programs, it was a pretty steep learning curve!

I quickly learned that my few words of French from my unclassified O level that had stood me in such good stead over the years did not cut the mustard in France profonde, in fact I even failed to order a beer.

I then found that 99.99% of the people that I could consult with my problems hade never left their village or town and had perhaps visited Arras or Amiens once in their life so they coudnt even direct me to builders merchant or a sawmill (I have still yet to find one!) let alone cope with "what do I need to do to register my UK RHD vehicle"

I then made contact with some of the English in the area, one look at their registration plates told me that they were not going to help me on that score, and on talking to them about their renovations I realised that without being able to speak French they were being totally shafted by the few tradesmen that were exploiting this rich seam of gold. armed with what they had paid/were paying for pretty diabolical work, a few calcs on a fag packet told me that I woud not be employing any tradesman, and to date other than labouring from the village halfwit who was usually too drunk to turn up or catually do ant work I have only employed one person for two days.

I really was up against it untill I got my computer up and running, i had to travel 50kms to the university in the hope that the cybercafe might not be on strike or on les grand vacances to even checck my E-mails.

I started to try and find suppliers etc via google.fr only to find that then, the average French company knew less than me about E-commerce, I wondered how on earth did others get by as I knew that many other people must be doing exactly the same as me, I had heard of forums but didnt really know what they were so I had a look and that indeed was a turning point fo me.

Up untill about 2 or so years ago I would say that 100% of the knowledge that I had of France and living in France had come from this forum and one predecessor that just dissapeared overnight, now that my French is much better I get most of my info from contacts and French television as I forced myself to have no more access to UK TV in 2007.

I agree that the forum has evolved as a result of the type of questions that tend to be asked these days, I see very few excited rose tinted glasses type postings, I guess that bad news travels quick.

That said despite me being very candid when I am asked about my life in France most of my friends seem to persist in the notion that I live in a watermill surrounded by meadows and flowers, I guess that peoples dreams of France havnt changed but very few of them are taking the plunge.

Silverstone, yep not a great spectator experience but I always enjoyed the weekend of historic racing preceded by the then free F1 tyre testing days.

But as a drivers circuit it was without equal with the exception of Cadwell which has to be my all time favorite.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Silverstone, yep not a great spectator experience but I always enjoyed the weekend of historic racing preceded by the then free F1 tyre testing days.

But as a drivers circuit it was without equal with the exception of Cadwell which has to be my all time favorite.

[/quote]Ah but I bet that was back when men were men and Woodcote was Woodcote.   (Or to quote Jacques Villeneuve "when s*x was safe and motor racing was dangerous."[;-)])

Sorry, Wools, at it again!

Coops,

Enjoy Silverstone, and very glad to see you are relatively mobile again.

Not being a motorcar or racing enthusiast, I can say nothing about the circuit, but since I once lived quite close to it (other side of MK) I got stuck in an horrendous traffic jam once, not knowing that they were racing there that w/e!!

oh, and in reply to OP, yes, the forum is definitely different from when I first joined, but I can't tell whether this is because I am much better informed because of it, of because I'm now living here (whereas I wasn't when I first joined), thus the edges have been battered out of me.....and experience goes a long way to answering questions ....... 

"Well, I have just been wondering whether the crise and the fact that loadsa Brits have been going back means that the nature of discussion on the forum is changing. There seem to be many fewer setting-up type questions and more discussions involving people who have left France but who are now looking back, eg idun and Pranda, and who therefore have a different perspective. And it seems that the France good, UK bad postings have gone too.

The breathless, naive worshipping of the country has eased, it seems, with much more hardnosed input - that is no bad thing. I reckon we need a lot more in depth stuff like this. It is a pity that Normie is not as active as he was for his little road side posts didn't half detonate well sometimes. But I guess he has other dusky fish to fry!

Personally, I have reached the point where I find visitors from across the water rather odd creatures as their perspectives seem so distant and unrelated to my reality here.

Just a thought!"

I don’t think that I have a different perspective about France since I left. We had always planned on returning to the UK for our retirement, and that is what we did, nothing to do with the crise. Anyway my perspective about France was quite different to that of most of the other posters when I lived there. Rosy France was not where I lived. So how do I not relate to you now Wooly, but more importantly how did I then, when I lived in France. That I am an ‘odd creature’ is a fait accompli really. I am ‘odd’ in both countries!

I still call friends in France regularly, and would love to pop across and see them, but ‘life’ has got in the way this year, but I will make time in the future. I also have my son in France, so hear it all, ie him not being able to do things yesterday coz of the greve and I watch TV5 most days. And we will always be ‘linked’ to France financially. In fact we will be tied to France for the rest of our days, which could and I think does make us different from those who leave and have nothing more in France.

To post or not to post? Yes, now there is a thought!

Hi all

Yes I agree forum has changed in recent times.  I remember some years back a wo nderful person who took the trouble to explain a whole central heating system with diagrams which must have been very useful to many people.

I have always met with prompt helpful replies and have tried to reciprocate.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the earlier posters who do not seem to participate anymore and to know how their lives have panned out, how about it?

WendyG

I know some of the earlier posters who were banned. Others left France or just stopped posting.

Maybe Chancer sort of hit the nail on the head a bit: ' Up untill about 2 or so years ago I would say that 100% of the knowledge that I had of France and living in France had come from this forum'.

Maybe some people got sick of answering the same old questions, it is a possiblity.

In fact there you go Chancer,

Long link removed as per suggestion

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/trouverlesprofessionnels/rechercheClassique.do?idContext=165758109&portail=PJ

the builders yards in Arras and Amiens.

Lots of Scierie in the www.pagesjaunes.fr too, if you haven't found any yet.

Yes, it was a hard learning curve when we got there. We went for an adventure and nothing more. No french, no knowledge of France or the french and no internet, not even a phone for 2 years. And it was expensive. House deals, not on your life in our bit of the Rhone Alpes, or at least where we wanted to live, which was not a glamorous choice by any means, instinct kept me away from petit bled and nulle part, yet our village still ended up being a claustrophobic, although for many years, probably 20, I had been fine there. In comparison So Chancer, during the last few years, getting to grips with french stuff, in comparison to our journey really has been rather ‘easy’ apart from perhaps the language. Is it a wonder that I found this board very strange when I first found it.

PS also during those first two years, we had a child and had a house built, and we didn't beak any local arrete by living in a caravan, we rented a total of two different apparts.

I have no talent or ear for language it was a lutte to get what I wanted. Still speak french like a vache espagnol, and will never do any better even though, I still repeat phrases and words back to TV5 most days. Moving to France and not learning to communicate, or only enough to get by with the shopping is almost a crime in my eyes.

Yes the forum has changed. Some of the people who thought I was negative at best, or even a troll seem to have mellowed as time has gone by.

The great and biggest divide is ofcourse where one lives in France and what one does with ones time. There will be few posters, like for example Pucette, who became a peasant farmer and saw how things were in rural western France.

Sadly I think that that ended in disaster, and would love to know if she is OK.

Look at Norman, he lived in a town French and british towns are a bit different, but IMO the biggest difference you will find if comparing is between town and country living in France as opposed to comparing towns in France or anywhere else in europe.

cooerlola summed up some of the people she had met and they sound like so many who used to post on here, insulated people IMO acting like colonialists. They miss so much, they don't even 'get' the good either in France when they live like that.

I do have a subheading for those that speak fluent french ofcourse who are in a league of their own, no matter where they live and it will be down to their 'interest' in where ever they live, as to how they live their lives in their chosen communities.

My life, well it is OK. My kids have not got over french education and I still encourage them to get more education and yet they were so damaged by it that they struggle to make that choice. I may say on here that I will regret to end of my days leaving them in that system, and it is as true now as it was then years ago, but I have never said it to them.

I am a priveledged person. I have a life in the UK and I know that if tomorrow I just turned up in my old village in France that I will have a wonderful reception and be fussed over and looked after. I do get the 'good' in France, but am aware of the bad and ugly and always will be.

And that perhaps is really enough.

For several years running Sue and I have used the same gite just south of La Fleche (Sarthe) and we were always struck by the fact we knew more about the town than our hosts - lovely people and a super gite but practically no connection to the local environment.

Sadly they sold up and the new owners are awful so now we have to find a new destination..... 

Idun.

Rest assured that I have now found most of the bulders merchants.

If you remove the long link from your posting it will make it easier to read.

I scrolled my way through it as it seemed to be addressed to me.

But I am unable to recall what has just scrolled off the screen.

So it was very very hard for me to understand.

All these full stops are to prevent this reply doin the same [;-)]

Sorry Chancer, I should have looked up 'scierie' for you. It was only 'addressed' to you, in so far as your points seem to me, at least, to echo what so many others have said and done. My point naturally being that these days, it isn't that hard to get to grips with things.