Poppy Protest

Rose

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="powerdesal"]JJ,

Whilst I sympathise with the Burmese people and their plight, I consider that, as the UK is in serious financial difficulties, it is not in our gift to police the World. We can't afford such things at this time.

There are humanitarian crises in many parts of the World but we can't afford to solve those either. We no longer have an Empire and need to get our problems sorted out before trying to sort out the problems of others. Harsh it may be but I'm afraid that reality is like that.

Diplomatic efforts without a doubt but thats all we can afford.[/quote]

Bang on, Steve!

Unfortunately, once politicians are elected and by political chicanery and Tamanay Hall type favours, rather than real ability, are unfortunately promoted to cabinet post or Secs. of State, then they seem to think Britain is still in the glorious days of Queen Victoria!

For far too long British governments seem to have been over-concerned with riding off into the sun on their chargers and saving the natives from whatever ails them: which is patronising at least and dangerous at worst.

Britain needs to emulate such as Sweden and Switzerland: and focus inwardly, rather than scattering largesse to the four -overseas- winds and engaging in deeds of daring do.

Maintaining a defence force which is sufficient to protect Britain's islands and keep to minimum treaty commitments should be the focus.

To me, it's like civil service meetings and jollies: beats actually working at what one is paid for!

Much more fun to jolly off abroad and play at statesmen, rather than stay at home and sort out the mounting domestic problems and realities!

powerdesal

Thank you very much. I agree with every thing that you write. On the issue of Russian incursion flights I suspect that the only reason is ‘we have that bit of kit so we might as well use it’. The same of course could be said for any number of world wide military manoeuvres.

The world’s hot spots are mainly the result of disentangling previous empire and conflict territories. These interventions will need to sort themselves out. Additional interventions will only further prolong this process.

I think that we can agree that Iraq was always an artificially created entity. What will be the result of the latest intervention is anyone’s guess. Mine for what it’s worth is the future enlargement of Iran, and the establishment of an Independent Kurdistan that may or not lead to conflict with Turkey. Moral of history is you expect one result and get another.

While I certainly think there is a role for the military the situation is currently way out of balance as regards needs and requirements. The US is the shining example of spending ridiculous sums for little if any gain. Where was the profit in trying to get involved with Georgia?

Has stationing troops in Korea for the best part of sixty years, being a help or a hindrance to peace and the eventual reunification of the peninsular?

Sadly we may never Know as it is all too easy to raise fears or to brand an opponent as soft on security if they think outside of the current box.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Now I am really concerned.

Braco agrees with everything I wrote !!!!!

I have re-read it all twice and can't find where I went wrong - what now???????????????????????[/quote]

Just to ease your worries the comment was just in relation to your review. NATO with the demise of the Warsaw Pact is well past it’s sell by date. By all means have a military co-ordination group if you must, but open it out to include all G20 members.

[quote user="Gluestick"]Which would cover the Latin American perspective.

And clearly, since you read the news items, you still cannot synthesise the events and realities to the putative threat to British oil exploration companies, British Sovereignty and the British economic outlook.

Yet elsewhere, you insinuate you attended the Cass Business School............

Lucky I wasn't marking your course work!

[Www]
[/quote]

British "this that and the other" is of not the slightest concern to me; the LA perspective is of interest but similarly of no immediate concern; on the whole nationalism is not a priority but I must admit I have  enjoyed reading the jingoistic ramblings on this thread.

The Cass in those days was known as Gresham College, a regime of exams and dissertation. Fortunately my studies in general were before the current era of course work and I presume by your threats couched in terms of authorative impunity, a regime of lecturers with agendas.

However I doubt I'll experience any mawkish behaviour tomorrow at the march past and service of Remembrance.

Strange! Ours here was on  thursday respecting the tenet of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Always been then and I suppose it always will be. Quite a moving experience.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

And clearly, since you read the news items, you still cannot synthesise the events and realities to the putative threat to British oil exploration companies, British Sovereignty and the British economic outlook.

[Www]

[/quote]

British "this that and the other" is of not the slightest concern to me; the LA perspective is of interest but similarly of no immediate concern; on the whole nationalism is not a priority but I must admit I have  enjoyed reading the jingoistic ramblings on this thread.

The Cass in those days was known as Gresham College, a regime of exams and dissertation. Fortunately my studies in general were before the current era of course work and I presume by your threats couched in terms of authorative impunity, a regime of lecturers with agendas.

[/quote]

Britain and British interests were a core facet of the post you sought to dispute.

If you fail to grasp what I wrote, then your "Business Studies" must have been pretty basic.

You're waffling, Mate!

As you do.................

[quote user="powerdesal"]I have considered your suggestion Gluey:- Petrol - check Superglue - check Poppies - Darn ! fresh out of poppies Oh well, perhaps next time !![/quote]

OK then; tie yourself to Braco and Papachapa that sounds good to me. P.S make sure you have lots of matches and lots of petrol [:D]

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]I have considered your suggestion Gluey:- Petrol - check Superglue - check Poppies - Darn ! fresh out of poppies Oh well, perhaps next time !![/quote]

OK then; tie yourself to Braco and Papachapa that sounds good to me. P.S make sure you have lots of matches and lots of petrol [:D]

[/quote]

EXCUSE ME..... I do have certain standards that apply to who I immolate with.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I can clearly remember that Remembrance DAY was on the 11th during my time at prep school following the termination of the Second World War and also during my time at Grammar School during the 50s. Presumably this changed on some date after 1958.[/quote]

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/the-nation-remembers/remembrance-sunday

[quote]The ceremony has been televised each year by the BBC since 1946. It is the joint-longest running live televised annual event in the world, the record being shared with the Chelsea Flower Show. When first shown in 1937, it was the second ever live outside event to be broadcast, the first being the Coronation procession of George VI earlier that year.

The 1947 telerecording of the ceremony is the oldest surviving record of a broadcast of a live outside event.[/quote]

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

I can clearly remember that Remembrance DAY was on the 11th during my time at prep school following the termination of the Second World War and also during my time at Grammar School during the 50s. Presumably this changed on some date after 1958.[/quote]

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/the-nation-remembers/remembrance-sunday

[quote]The ceremony has been televised each year by the BBC since 1946. It is the joint-longest running live televised annual event in the world, the record being shared with the Chelsea Flower Show. When first shown in 1937, it was the second ever live outside event to be broadcast, the first being the Coronation procession of George VI earlier that year.

The 1947 telerecording of the ceremony is the oldest surviving record of a broadcast of a live outside event.[/quote]

[/quote]

Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918, as the major hostilities of World War I were formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice. (Note that "at the 11th hour", refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 am.)

The day was specifically dedicated by King George V, on 7 November 1919, to the observance of members of the armed forces who were killed during World War I.

Definitely no school on Sunday, so why were we all in the Assembly Hall with the names of the dead from the school being enunciated and then the Last Post, etc, etc.....one of the enigmas of the 20th century.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Remembrance Day is observed on 11 November to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918, as the major hostilities of World War I were formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice. (Note that "at the 11th hour", refers to the passing of the 11th hour, or 11:00 am.)

The day was specifically dedicated by King George V, on 7 November 1919, to the observance of members of the armed forces who were killed during World War I.[/quote]

Thank you for sharing that small piece of information, but I'm sure the majority who have contributed to this thread are already fully aware of the the historic details, together with the relevance of both Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]Definitely no school on Sunday, so why were we all in the Assembly Hall with the names of the dead from the school being enunciated and then the Last Post, etc, etc.....one of the enigmas of the 20th century.[/quote]

Perhaps you should have added 'A' level History to your remit!

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The day was specifically dedicated by King George V, on 7 November 1919, to the observance of members of the armed forces who were killed during World War I.[/quote]

Thank you for sharing that small piece of information, but I'm sure the majority who have contributed to this thread are already fully aware of the the historic details, together with the relevance of both Remembrance Day and Remembrance Sunday. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]Definitely no school on Sunday, so why were we all in the Assembly Hall with the names of the dead from the school being enunciated and then the Last Post, etc, etc.....one of the enigmas of the 20th century.[/quote]

EDIT: Perhaps a Moderator would be kind enough to remove this duplicate post please!

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

Thank you for sharing that small piece of information, but I'm sure the majority who have contributed to this thread are already fully aware of the the historic details, together with the relevance of both Remembrance Day and Remebrance Sunday. 

[/quote]

Remebrance Sunday.....Now I remeMber I also had to go to Sunday School as well.

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[Www]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Britain and British interests were a core facet of the post you sought to dispute.

If you fail to grasp what I wrote, then your "Business Studies" must have been pretty basic.

You're waffling, Mate!

As you do.................

[/quote]

Yeah I must admit it was VERY BASIC but in UK business schools were still in their infancy and there were insufficient qualified staff available.

It was very definitely a bit of a culture shock moving from a Bachelor of Science (Engineering) at Imperial College of Science and Engineering to Master of Science in Administrative Sciences at the City University. But frankly I had the important bit of paper with the Associateship of the Royal School of Mines in my knapsack and the Post Graduate course was just the cherry on the cake to impress the natives on my travels.The leisurely year funded kindly by the Social Science Research Council was much appreciated; I shall eternally be in the debt of the British Government. Nevertheless the Masters allowed easy entry as Member of British Institute of Management but more importantly facilitated my entry into the Chilean Institute of Mining Engineers, allowing me to ply my trade as a Chartered Professional Engineer within the country. As always bits of paper help a CV no end.

[quote user="pachapapa"]Nevertheless the Masters allowed easy entry as Member of British Institute of Management but more importantly facilitated my entry into the Chilean Institute of Mining Engineers, allowing me to ply my trade as a Chartered Professional Engineer within the country. As always bits of paper help a CV no end.[/quote]

Until it received its charter, the BIM (British Institute of Management) accepted almost anyone to membership: there were no academic criteria demanded for membership: proof of certain levels of pertinent academic simply meant an instant fellowship.

Many Companions were simply successful business people, with no academic or professional qualifications whatsoever.

My professional qualifications allowed instant fellowship.

Whereas fellowship for serious professional bodies was only granted on a like-for-like basis on entry (i.e. an FCA will normally gain the same grade of membership for certain other bodies).

I gave up with BIM some years before it was awarded its charter, since it was not going anywhere much then: and many root and branch members I met at local and regional meetings were not serious professional managers, interested in Management Science, but rather, persons seeking something to belong to with nice letters after their names.

It has changed somewhat, since.

And you have still not responded adequately to the original question.

What's new?

[Www]