Poppy Protest

Rose

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Gluestick"]I know that, JE: and I also know you wouldn't ever attack anyone on these boards.

Far too nice a person! [kiss]

What has troubled me in this thread is the strange attitude to our service personnel, expressed by some.

Shame.

[/quote]

As you might well expect I regard many service personnel as being not to bright and this forum is no exception to my prejudices.

Thank god there are a few with "brains".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

[/quote] A cavalry Officer leading (some of ) the Parachute Regt ?????????? Odd ! I thought the Paras had more self respect. I suspect your attitude should be directed at the US General rather than the British Forces. There are a lot more than ''a few'' with brains and being 'not too bright' does not really work in the modern Forces, in fact I suspect it never really has except in the closed minds of those who are happy to accept democracy as long as someone else defends it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a UK soldier, airman or sailor took issue with a foreign commander, even when seconded to that person's command, it is not the same as refusing to obey an order from their own superior officer: mainly since the soldier (generic) signed Queen's Regulations: and not those of the foreign force.

If you are not Dog in drag, Pachapapa, I suspect you are his cousin!

Denigrating all military personnel as "Not too bright" shows clearly you have no exposure to or knowledge of modern military personnel: nor the demanding techno-centric tasks even the lowest personnel must fulfill.

Cannon Fodder concepts went out many years ago: that said, be grateful, since was it only the sacrifice of common soldiers in WWI and WWII and the vicarious sacrifice of their families which allows you the freedom to write the utter nonsense you do.

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Gluestick"]I know that, JE: and I also know you wouldn't ever attack anyone on these boards.

Far too nice a person! [kiss]

What has troubled me in this thread is the strange attitude to our service personnel, expressed by some.

Shame.

[/quote]

As you might well expect I regard many service personnel as being not to bright and this forum is no exception to my prejudices.

Thank god there are a few with "brains".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11753050

[/quote]

For all your qualifications I think you have probably told people on the forum a great deal about yourself today!
[/quote]

In fact very little about myself....but several people have reacted in a predestinate manner to an innocuously futile demonstration by a dozen or so pseudo jihadi idiots.

But it did get you up and moving for a change.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Quillan, I am guessing that you and I are from a similar mould. [/quote]

Well if I said I'd been in a few Beverly's and I do really know pigs fly you will probably know then. I'll leave you to explain. [;-)]

[/quote] I guess you were a little before my time. Beverley in a museum perhaps, more of a Hunter / Vulcan man personally[/quote]

Last one flew in 73 at the RAE which is where I got a flight (XB259) its now in some museum somewhere I believe. My first year of navigation training was with the old Varsity (flying pig) flying classroom and then BAC111 (three times as many student stations). No Vulcan experience but been in a Hunter T7 and a Lightning T4. Last aircraft Phantom FGR2 with 29 Squadron for ground attack and recon in the Falklands, we flew to Chile, went on our first recon and they surrendered 6 hours later, must of heard we were coming. [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Last one flew in 73 at the RAE which is where I got a flight (XB259) its now in some museum somewhere I believe.]

[/quote]

Reading the above rang a bell, and I managed to find this:

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2mh60rc.jpg[/IMG]

Further images and info:

http://www.fortpaull.com/ccm/navigation/category.jsp?categoryID=155223

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/Beverley%20Photographs.htm

Gosh that takes me back. If I remember rightly it was never actually in the RAF but still had a military number as it was built for the RAE. It was used for testing parachute delivering systems for vehicles over at Boscombe Down and also for testing brake chutes for Vulcan's and Valiants. I spent some time at RAE helping with early Inertial Navigation on a Hercules C1 with a load of Plessey guys, we used to call it 'Trunky' because of its abnormal and long nose probe as it was shared with the environment boffins measuring pollution. Went to the US and Canada a few times with it. Happy days and very interesting work. I also got a flight in the last 'tail dragging' Shackleton out of Farnborough which was really a converted Lancaster. You had to admire those guys back in the war who flew those things. You couldn't climb over the main spare inside with your parachute so everyone 'up front' had to leave theirs in racks by the rear door, frightening.