Perhaps Vince Cable should take up dancing full time ?

Frederick

In fairness I quite liked the chap when we had the live debates prior to the election. It seemed to me then that the guy was being quite honest. Perhaps he thought he could be at the time thinking there was no chance his party would win and election or he would end up in a government post. I think he came over a lot better than the other two. However these comments and the things the Liberals have agreed to since the government was formed really is the proof in that old saying that power does corrupt.

I agree that the headlines make it sound bad but haing listened to the article which has clearly been severely editted (you cant for instance hear any of the questions asked of him) I think he sounds perfectly reasonable given that he was talking off the record and in confidence.

He was not threatening to bring down the government but saying that we ned to act carefully to avoid such a situation IIRC.

To be frank I didnt hear anyhinng I termed controversial, just what appeared to be an honest and principled politician possibly being set up almost certainly editted out of context.

So why the need for the personal insults again, pile of lard, dissapearing up his own behind? I dont follow UK politics much if at all but I am sure I have seen one of his speeches and he seemed quite thin to me, have I confused him with someone else?

Until now I was a great admirer of VC. Sadly he seems to have succumbed to that which afflicts most, if not all, MPs - he loves the sound of his own voice and wants to appear more significant than he really is.

The problem now facing DC is that if he does what he should really do, sack VC, he risks losing a vote of No Confidence and then losing his own job.

John

Seeing his affected hat and coat and listening to his comments one realises that he is just an opinionated self centred plokner who deecerves no place in high office. basically a spolit kid who sought a minor party as he wants to be a big fish in s small ponf and cant cope int eh real world, a attention seeker. Inother words a plonker!

Vince Cable seems very popular in the Uk, and someone who often says what other are thinking. He even has a way of saying unpopular things in a moderate way that makes them more palatable

Mr Murdoch is hardly the most popular person and its hardly surprising that many want to clip his wings - Vince Cables 'crime' was a lack of discretion.

He doesn't win the Christmas 'Strictly' though....[;-)]

Well I for one am on his side on this. He talks sense, says what he means and seems to have some principles.

Wishy washy Cameron and Clegg no doubt see him as a popular threat and will be glad of the chance to do him down. Pity, because he's the best of a pretty useless bunch.

I  for one do not want to see the country forced into a General Election .. Labour were tired and now seem happy to be in opposition rebuilding itself .If  Vince Cable now decides he has been hard done by and whips up support to bring down the governement at this time causing huge instability.. I dont think he or the whole Liberal Party will be forgiven . Now is not the time to be going back to the voting booth . 

As usual, the sound-bites seem to be given more prominence than the substance. Has Cable said to anyone that matters that he intends to bring the government down? If you are in a position to apply some leverage, you need to apply the pressure when you still have that power. Cable has recognised that Dave and Nick won't do enough unless pushed.

Labour were indeed tired. But all the predictions indicate that public borrowing, for example, will continue to rise under coalition policies. Great! The trend needs to be put into reverse - simply slowing the increase in the debt is nowhere near a solution. If they are without a strong man at the helm, the government at least needs someone with some balls to push them in the right direction.

During the build-up to the banking fiasco and Britain's increasing fiscal woes, at least Cable was about the only politician to make any dire warnings and correct predictions.

He is also a trained economist and was Chief Economist at Shell for a short time.

Twee Georgie, on the other hand is simply a toff, like his master. His total exposure to the real world was recording deaths in London for the NHS and a short spell at Selfridges: before family influence enabled a position at Tory HQ as "A researcher": the now tired cliche for a waste of space waiting in the wings for a safe seat.

On the matter of Murdoch, we have the US media arena as an example of Murdoch's venality and aspirations: and his various activities in the UK as an exemplar of how he determinedly drives down culture standards inexorably.

In case anyone lacks longer term memory, Murdoch's rise in Britain was on the back of Thatcher's patronage and her determination to crush British unions.

Murdoch thanked his patron by leaving Britain for the USA and setting up News International in the USA and remitting UK profits accordingly.

To allow such a man unfettered powers of effective monopoly over media would be highly dangerous.

Devious interference in Monopolies and Take Overs is nothing new: indeed, the whole apparatus has been a whited sepulchre for some considerable time.

At least Cable spoke his mind.