Bin Laden, RIH

woolybanana

One hopes that the death of Bin Laden will lead to a slow decline of terrorism but I somehow feel that this particular hydra has many heads. Pakistan seems to have been up to its neck in protecting him, it seems, so they could be the next big problem.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="woolybanana"] ...  Pakistan seems to have been up to its neck in protecting him, it seems, so they could be the next big problem.[/quote]

Indeed.

Pakistan also has the death penalty for anyone who insults Islam, and this is used maliciously against people of other faiths. Any country which maintains blasphemy as a criminal offence is a potential pariah. The protection of the right to believe should not extend to protection of the beliefs themselves.

Whilst I'm sure nobody is sorry to hear of his demise I have to say that I found the sight of the crowds celebrating outside the White House disturbing and feel that something a little more restrained might have been more appropriate. It was certainly inflamatory and I can imagine the Jihadists loading up their jerkins as I write. Still, I suppose that's Americans for you.

No offence intended to our American forum members of course.

Wonder when they did it?

We were actually wondering if it was last week, but with such big crowds for that wedding that they held off from saying anything, would the americans have been so 'sensible'.

Yes, a hyda, they're calling it a franchise on aljazeera today. Will things be better, or worse now, it'll be down to time to tell that. I hope that those young who would have been influenced by this man are now so intense on getting freedom in arab countries that their focus has changed.

[quote user="idun"] those young who would have been influenced by this man are now so intense on getting freedom in arab countries that their focus has changed. [/quote]

I'm sure that they've seen how little his kind of evil has achieved and that internal revolution is more gain for less pain . . .

DISTURBING IMAGE, publish and be damned say the  .mirror. /osama-bin-laden-dead-photo-of-al-qaeda-leader-s-body-

Firstly, if the US could send a very small force in (with no loss of life) why didn't they bring him out with them. Surely it would be better to put him on trial for his crimes and to interrogate him for information then keep him locked up for the rest of his natural life as an example and reminder to others, sort of 'you can run but we always get our man in the end'.

How do we know it's him? I seem to remember the Americans have claimed to have killed him a couple of times over the years. Since the 9/11 attack there has been no real photo's of him just some grainy pictures of somebody we are told is him and are rather dubious at best.

Is there a hidden agenda here and that is why he was killed. Did he hold very embarrassing information about certain Americans when the US paid him millions and armed him with hi-tech weapons to fight the Russians in Afghanistan?

Personally I think his death makes him a martyr and there will be many willing and hoping to take his place.

One thing I am very pleased to see in all the newspapers today is the amount of comments from Muslims denouncing him, glad that he is dead and their thoughts being with all his victims. Now is a good time for us to embrace the 'good Muslims' rather than alienate them thus perhaps stopping them from turning towards extremism.

Sorry about that. Let's try again. [quote user="Quillan"]

Firstly, if the US could send a very small force in (with no loss of life) why didn't they bring him out with them.[/quote] Probably because it wasn't a Hollywood movie. If the troops were at all aware that OBL presented a threat they would not stand around negotiating. Nor would they try to wound the man nor would the star of the show have crept up on him and disabled him with a Vulcan death grip. In real life a threat is eliminated. Full stop.

[quote user="Quillan"]

Firstly, if the US could send a very small force in (with no loss of life) why didn't they bring him out with them. Surely it would be better to put him on trial for his crimes and to interrogate him for information then keep him locked up for the rest of his natural life as an example and reminder to others, sort of 'you can run but we always get our man in the end'.

[/quote]

All this seems to have been thought out and there was the risk of hostage taking in return for him, plus I think he had already said he would never be taken alive. 

DNA tests have been done in order to see if the liklihood was that it was him, apparently they already have the DNA of some of his family members

[quote user="JK"]Sorry about that. Let's try again. [quote user="Quillan"]

Firstly, if the US could send a very small force in (with no loss of life) why didn't they bring him out with them.[/quote] Probably because it wasn't a Hollywood movie. If the troops were at all aware that OBL presented a threat they would not stand around negotiating. Nor would they try to wound the man nor would the star of the show have crept up on him and disabled him with a Vulcan death grip. In real life a threat is eliminated. Full stop.

[/quote]

If the news is to believed they walked in, shot him, put him in a bag then walked out and drove away. If this is true then I am sure that there was a way of taking him alive but then neither us nor anyone else will know for sure although I suspect the whole thing was recorded. I will wait till the DNA tests are in before I go any further but at the moment I think killing him rather than taking him in may be a big mistake.

Quillan,

I think it unlikely that the details of the encounter will be broadcast. There will endless speculation, some of which will be latched onto as fact by those with an agenda.

Essentially, Special Forces operating at a distance do not have the luxury of a second chance. Even if OBL looked at them a bit funny he would be eliminated. You re also making the assumption that OBL was identified and them shot - basically any enemy figure presenting a threat will be killed, nobody will pause to work out who it might be.

It's better he is dead. Otherwise an expensive and pointless trial would have ensued and he would have been executed anyway. Wiping the bastard out saves a lot of agro, not to mention the other idiots taking hostages and demanding his release and so on.

Sure there will be repercussions from his death, but I think him being dead is the better option.

According to one report he was offered the opportunity to surrender without a fight which was answered with a gunshot,
anyway he who lives by the sword etc; dead is dead, majority of revolutions in the arab world plot the freedom course, his thinking does not appear there.

Reports seem to indicate that he was given the chance to surrender but refused, SF don't tend to give two chances !

The potential for hostage taking in retaliation was obviously very very real, the threat of a high profile person being taken hostage does not really bear thinking about (Princess Catherine ????). No, he's better dead.

Snap

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I hope the 74 virgins he has gone to are all male.[/quote]

[quote user="idun"]What a peverted idea those huris and little boys is, it disgusts me. [:@][/quote]

I believe it was humour and surely can only disgust if you actually believe that to be heavens reward for Muslim murderers, oops, make that martyrs.

Personally methinks Richard has watched Jeff Dunhams 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist' once too often.

How about if thery were Essex virgins then, equal diasppointment [:D][:D][:D]

Oh, and he only said male not little boys [;-)]

Watching the BBC lunchtime news there are conflicting stories right up to the end when there was breaking news by ABC that, just as I suspected special forces were told to shoot on sight and not to bring him out alive. His body was buried at sea withing 24 hours apparently as is the Muslim way. The reason for burying him at sea is so nobody can find his body.

What I do find upsetting was the dancing in the streets in the US, it is hypocritical. Let us not forget that the money that paid for the killing of thousands of people in Northern Ireland and mainland Britain including the likes of Mountbatten by the IRA was raised quite openly in the US through NORAID and with certain Presidents blessings. Killing people is wrong, it serves no purpose yet we have a warmongering country like America who actively encourage terrorism until that is it ends up on their shores. This will come back to haunt America and more innocent people will die. BL was no longer active, the US has not cut off the head, those that preach extremism are still there and still very active and are untouchable by the US. There is no defence to killing by any one side, both are equally as guilty.

[quote user="Quillan"]

What I do find upsetting was the dancing in the streets in the US, it is hypocritical. Let us not forget that the money that paid for the killing of thousands of people in Northern Ireland and mainland Britain including the likes of Mountbatten by the IRA was raised quite openly in the US through NORAID and with certain Presidents blessings. [/quote]

Not so different are they,