It seems that nowhere is safe..

mint

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is now a new day and the information coming from Oslo is dreadful. My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones.

I think that everyone's initial reaction was that it must be another attack by fundamentalist islamics. It is an terrible thing to have to admit but I felt almost relieved when I learned that the attack was not by islamists but apparently by a neo Na_zi. But the tragedy is the same irrespective of the motives of the murderer. And for Norwegians, the tragedy is greater because the alleged perpetrator was one of them.

I am trying to understand the paradox of a far-right assassin attacking his own people - children at that - because of his hatred of other cultures.

EDIT

The paradox becomes even greater now - it seems the man is a Christian fundamentalist. Perhaps he thinks that the "Rapture" has begun!

It is indeed beyond words. Made worse for me because I go to Oslo two or three times a year for work, and recognise the area where the bomb was. In fact I think I visited the actual building in March. Security was very tight, but if it was a vehicle bomb outside, and/or the perpetrator was in police uniform, that's probably irrelevant. And as for what happened on that island...

It's rather sad that the right-wing media immediately seized on the Muslim connection. From what I know, and reading between the lines, it looks as if it may be the work of a far-right extremist who feels that such horror is justified if it results in the hated Middle-Easterns getting the blame.

When I took a deep breath and put the news on late last night, I heard that some extremist muslim group was saying that they did it.

Now I get up and at least the island massacre was perpetrated by an extremist christian and the rolling news is so confusing that I cannot make out if he or he with a group had carried out the bombings in Oslo too.

Relgion. What is it about it that breeds such evil and has done throughout time. And not just individuals or small groups, but those in power have used it's devisiveness for pure evil too. The other day a pastor got rid of the bad parts of the bible the other day, maybe all these 'bibles' of all faiths should be gone through and all the bad and hate and mysogyny bits got rid of once and for all. I may have a litte more time for 'religion' then. 

I don't know how the Norwegian people, as a whole, will ever get through this and, in particular, the individual families who have been affected.

As a teenager, I had a very good Norwegian friend called "Tova" and I can't help thinking about her and how and if she herself is personally affected.

I am just so very sad and I can't help the tears and also the dreadful feeling that nothing could be done about an individual such as the suspected man who acted in such a dreadful manner ...........

You cannot legislate or guard against someone like this.

The camp was organised by the Norwegian Labour Party and attract lots of young people who are interested in politics - particularly liberal politics (with a small 'l').  The killer held extreme right wing views.  His actions have effectively eliminated many of the next generation of liberal Norwegian politicians.

Mrs R51

It seems he is a Freemason. A spokesman for the Norwegian Freemasons confirmed he is a member of the John lodge St. Olaus TD Three pillars of the Norwegian Masonic Order.

He seemed to have good cover to get supplies of fertilizer apparently 6 tonnes, but it's surprising that no comments were made when he must have purchased the same amount of sugar.

I won't be more precise about what else would be needed but there is no way that lot would fit in a car. He'd have needed a truck.

[quote user="Dog"]It seems he is a Freemason. A spokesman for the Norwegian Freemasons confirmed he is a member of the John lodge St. Olaus TD Three pillars of the Norwegian Masonic Order. He seemed to have good cover to get supplies of fertilizer apparently 6 tonnes, but it's surprising that no comments were made when he must have purchased the same amount of sugar. I won't be more precise about what else would be needed but there is no way that lot would fit in a car. He'd have needed a truck.[/quote]

Fertilizer seems freely available in deux-sèvres. Why must he have purchased 6 tonnes of sugar?

Watching the news tonight I see this is a political camp for 14 to 19 year olds which receives regular visits from the PM and other members of the government and they give speeches, hold lectures and have debates about world and Norwegian politics etc with these young people. Other than that I don't know anything else about what goes on at these camps. I did find it a bit alarming that there are people as young as 14 however, 18 and over I don't have a problem with but 14? I just wondered if I was alone in feeling slightly uneasy with this.

That said it's a very, very, sad thing that these young people who had so much life to give should be cut down like this, absolutely terrible and my thoughts are with the families of those killed and with those that have survived and will probably be mentally scared for the rest of their lives. One cannot even start to understand how they must feel.

[quote user="idun"]Relgion. What is it about it that breeds such evil and has done throughout time.   [/quote]

I don't think religion (and I have no beliefs myself) does breed evil... it is just the hook that a very few socio/psychopaths who are sometimes labelled as "extremists" hang their obsessions, their urge to do grievious wrong and justify it. I don't think it is religion's fault, as it were. If the hook isn't religion, it will be something else... religions are, in some instances, just convenient.

[quote user="Quillan"]I did find it a bit alarming that there are people as young as 14 however, 18 and over I don't have a problem with but 14? I just wondered if I was alone in feeling slightly uneasy with this.[/quote]I don't suppose they are being brainwashed. Not much difference perhaps to whatever sparked William Hague's interest in politics leading him to address a Conservative party conference at the age of 16. Cue the cheap jokes at Hague's expense, of course but some kids are interested in horses, some in sports, some join Young Farmers... and some are inspired by politics and public service from an early age. On the face of what I've read, I don't see it is something to be concerned about at all.

The foreign minister was on the BBC to explain about these camps.

They are very traditional in Norway and are held for a fortnight every year.  They have fun, get together, are visited by political figures (don't know if the king goes) and have discussions and what sounded like seminars to me.

I don't find anything "sinister" in all of this.  It's just a way of teaching civics, citizenship, etc in a fun setting.  You cannot be too young to try and understand how your country and other nations of the world are run and what the prevailing political and philosophical thinking is.

Much better than growing up in ignorance and apathy of the political process which after all sets the "tone" for everything that touches your life.  Hopefully, you grow up to be a more informed and engaged citizen of your country.

I think it's great that Norway is a small enough country for them to be able to do things like this.  Wish that when I was at that bright and forward-looking age, there were similar events that I could have attended.

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="idun"]Relgion. What is it about it that breeds such evil and has done throughout time.   [/quote]
I don't think religion (and I have no beliefs myself) does breed evil... it is just the hook that a very few socio/psychopaths who are sometimes labelled as "extremists" hang their obsessions, their urge to do grievious wrong and justify it. I don't think it is religion's fault, as it were. If the hook isn't religion, it will be something else... religions are, in some instances, just convenient.
[/quote]unfortunately religion does seem to bring out the worst in some of its followers