Social Charges - here we go again!

Evianers

How I disagree about the Carte de Sejour being unnecessary.

When we moved to France, we had to have them, and in fact always had them. In spite of Prefectures from a certain point being reluctant to issue them, IF we had stayed, I would have insisted on getting them, because they are very very useful, the way the french have always been ID obsessed.

Bit late now for people to start that ball rolling, but once all is sorted, I would imagine that everyone, well UK folks in France would have to have them. 

And if I disagree about the Carte de Sejours, I do agree about other post brexit paperwork, I also would say wait and see what happens before going forward, otherwise it could be endless.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fittersmate wrote : Lovely late Christmas present mint! Did you write to the conciliator? I am going to wait until after 31 December and will then contact the lady who emailed me to say it should all be sorted by that date. Ever hopeful - trying to start the New Year full of optimism.

Same here .. having not heard a dicky bird .. as we both live in Morbihan I think we can assume that they are lagging behind everywhere else and we might have to prod them ?

[quote user="isitlunchtime"]My advice. Don’t fill out any forms yet.

That site was set up to deal with ‘no deal’.

There will be a withdrawal deal which will possibly produce a eu response for U.K. citizens in Europe (as opposed to a purely French route).

So dashing to fill out the French form may result in having to start again. There’s no rush and I’d suggest letting the dust settle.

There will be acres of advice......

I have friends who tried to get a carte de séjour - just frustrating and unnecessary. There will be a clear way forward. The French were surprisingly quick, but a pan eu diktat , as we all know, is sometimes the most beneficial!

All the best for 2020[/quote]

isitlunchtime, I shall follow your advice as you seem to me to be eminently sensible[:D]  I have quoted your reply in full so that others might read it[I]

Thank you to you, too, id, as you do know a lot about the "system".

With that thing to do off my list, I guess my next job is to get the nurse to give me my bronchitis jab and to do something about that pension that I have not bothered to claim as yet (yes, you guessed it, the sum is derisory!!)

European residency cards now follow the same basic layout i.e. credit card size with photo. The problem if you already have one of these card is it might say that your nationality EU/EEE/Swiss rather than British. If that is the case you will require a new one after Jan 31st because of course you are no longer an EU citizen. I believe you have something like 12 to 18 months to get a replacement which is free. The good news is the new one will be for the total limit of the card so if you were previously issued with a 10 year card and it has 2 years left your new card should be for 10 years.

If you don't have a residency card then after the Jan 31st you need to get one. The catch then is you will have to pay for it. In many countries you will pay whatever the UK is charging EU citizens for their residency card which is around £85. What a member state charges you is down to them and there is no universal EU fee but the general consensus is it should be like for like.

The only issue I have been told is there will be a limitation on how long you can be away from the country that issues the card and that the card does not give you the same rights as an EU citizen and cannot be used as a travel document inside the EU. Like I said that's what I have been told rather than what I have rad on any official government website so it might not be correct but then I don't care. Now having German citizenship it's not a problem for me. All I have to decide over the next 12 months is do I keep my German/EU citizenship and get rid of my UK citizenship because you can't have dual nationality in Germany (unless you are an EU citizen). Think I will be posting my UK passport and RN 04/2019 on Feb 1st.

I will then await my callup papers to the EU army and the arrival of all these Turks when Turkey joins the EU next week not to mention the total collapse of the Euro and EU over the next 18 months.

Cathar Tours said: I will then await my callup papers to the EU army and the arrival of all

these Turks when Turkey joins the EU next week not to mention the total

collapse of the Euro and EU over the next 18 months.

Dear me, you do paint an apocalyptic picture. Is the EU going to implode ? well if Putin has his way it will, that is for sure.

Well there you go then, the oracles have spoken, so thus it will be[Www]

Let's face it, no one knows what will happen as yet. My prediction is that there will be a bit of a mess for a while and then things will settle down. From what I can gather there are a lot of us who expect things to be a mess, but I daresay that in spite of that, if there is, there will be lots of whinging about it[:-))]

Getting back to the thread re. Social charges.

The Dgfip Aude have now asked me to supply justification of my affiliation to a legal regime of social security of another state in the EEC for the years contested together with justifications of the payments I have made to my "caisse de sécurité sociale"! This is being requested despite a letter I sent "recommandé" 5/11 with copy E121s and relevant avis d'impot showing the social charges contested. I think they hope I shall go away and get fed up with the battle, but, hey, nil carborundum.

UaG

[quote user="isitlunchtime"]My advice. Don’t fill out any forms yet.

That site was set up to deal with ‘no deal’.

There will be a withdrawal deal which will possibly produce a eu response for U.K. citizens in Europe (as opposed to a purely French route).

So dashing to fill out the French form may result in having to start again. There’s no rush and I’d suggest letting the dust settle.

There will be acres of advice......c

I have friends who tried to get a carte de séjour - just frustrating and unnecessary. There will be a clear way forward. The French were surprisingly quick, but a pan eu diktat , as we all know, is sometimes the most beneficial!

All the best for 2020[/quote]

My advice is do it. It’s straightforward and will register you in the system.

[quote user="Cathar Tours"]European residency cards now follow the same basic layout i.e. credit card size with photo. The problem if you already have one of these card is it might say that your nationality EU/EEE/Swiss rather than British. If that is the case you will require a new one after Jan 31st because of course you are no longer an EU citizen. I believe you have something like 12 to 18 months to get a replacement which is free. The good news is the new one will be for the total limit of the card so if you were previously issued with a 10 year card and it has 2 years left your new card should be for 10 years.

If you don't have a residency card then after the Jan 31st you need to get one. The catch then is you will have to pay for it. In many countries you will pay whatever the UK is charging EU citizens for their residency card which is around £85. What a member state charges you is down to them and there is no universal EU fee but the general consensus is it should be like for like.

The only issue I have been told is there will be a limitation on how long you can be away from the country that issues the card and that the card does not give you the same rights as an EU citizen and cannot be used as a travel document inside the EU. Like I said that's what I have been told rather than what I have rad on any official government website so it might not be correct but then I don't care. Now having German citizenship it's not a problem for me. All I have to decide over the next 12 months is do I keep my German/EU citizenship and get rid of my UK citizenship because you can't have dual nationality in Germany (unless you are an EU citizen). Think I will be posting my UK passport and RN 04/2019 on Feb 1st.

I will then await my callup papers to the EU army and the arrival of all these Turks when Turkey joins the EU next week not to mention the total collapse of the Euro and EU over the next 18 months.[/quote]

Your advice re Cartes de Sejour is way off the mark and is likely to confuse readers.

[quote user="BritinBretagne"]

My advice is do it. It’s straightforward and will register you in the system.[/quote]

I'll have another think about it.  I have looked at the site and it is straightforward, as you have said.

In any case, I was waiting for my new mutuelle to take effect, which it does today, so that I can upload that in the application.

Thank you for your advice, I might just go ahead or wait to see what happens on the 31st.  If Boris starts having a ditch dug so that he could die in it, I might wait a bit[:)]

A quick search on the internet for Brexit and France finds the following which is based on the withdrawal agreement as of 19th Oct 2019. Because nobody knows for sure if the UK will agree to it the two options are listed (agreement/no agreement) and further links. This is the official French government website. The only thing I got wrong was the cost which in France is only payable if there is no agreement.

https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil/vous-etes-britannique-en/droit-au-sejour-en.html

Of course BritinBretagne could be right and the French liars.

Nothing received here either despite having received an email telling me that it would be sorted by 31/12/2019 so next week I will get down to emailing them again asking for action regarding my reimbursement. However, I think that the file may remain in my "Pending" pile for a while longer!

Isitlunchtime wrote : Why not just pop in and talk to them?

Because I have a lot of other, more pressing, things to deal with at the moment ..

So another secure message will be sent. As Fitter has found also Morbihan is a bit slower than other departments.

Sue, I love Brittany and IF we ever move back would move there. However, we found over the years that the bretons seem, well the expression we use is 'unable to organise a booze up in a brewery', I am being polite there.

Not just us, we have a few friends who are artists and over the years have had bookings at some of the big concerts and they all had tales of not going on stage when they should and everything being an f up. Some of these friends are irish, so you can imagine what they would say.[:D] And yet, like us, they said that everyone was lovely, just so disorganised.

That you say that they are slower, well, it is  probably the breton way and that is fine by me.

Idun wrote : That you say that they are slower, well, it is probably the breton way and that is fine by me.

Normally it is fine by me too but, as the fisc have my money, which by right and by now should have been repaid to me - and with interest, I am somewhat concerned that the date they gave for its return has been and gone.

You can hardly say that fitter and I are leaping up and down with incandescent rage .. we are not storming their offices .. we are simply looking to communicate with them to ensure our money's eventual return ?.

Exactly Sue. As the lady at the fisc who emailed me with the 31/12/19 date may still be on holiday I will wait until next week to contact her. Can't do it on the secure message system as that only goes to our Impot office at Pontivy and they have passed the claim on to Vannes.

Yes, fittersmate and sue, it is possible that some of the staff might be away from work.  At least until the children go back to school, which is next week in our region.

As you have already waited so long, it's worth holding on before sending letters or emails as anything sent now might well end up at the bottom of a physical or electronic pile of stuff and could be bypassed.

One day, it will arrive and you will be as stunned and speechless as I undoubtedly was[:D]

Oh I agree that in this case it is not good, or nice and I too would be very very annoyed. They have your money and you want it. 

But still, those bretons do do things in their own sweet time, and getting them to get a move on, I would imagine to be rather difficult.