Social Charges - here we go again!

Evianers

suein56 wrote the following post at 16 May 2020 8:38:

Still waiting here ..

The wait is almost over .. this week we received a letter from DGFip saying that our dégrèvement has been agreed (happy smiley face here) and that we shall also be awarded interest on the years claimed .. 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Now what was that about being able to claim for 2018 ?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
After a wait of almost two years (which seems to be the norm for this sort of thing, Covid or no Covid) today we finally received notices showing that they are going to repay for 2015, 2016 and 2017. The notices are dated 9th October so, with luck, the money should be in our bank account before Christmas.......

Good luck to those still waiting - patience is a virtue but it can also be very frustrating!

Sheila's OH

Hi,
    Last week ,after asking two weeks ago for a progress report on my claim for CSG overpaid in 2015   , I received a letter from the agent who dealt with it (and who wrote to me last January saying it was set to be paid) saying that they would "contact" the paying agency, and clearly  gave them a kick up the backside , because I have now had paid to my account the 5 figure overpayment together with a 4 figure sum of interest.
   I now await developments on my claims for 2016,2017,2018, and my recent claim for reduction of charges  from 17.2% to 7.5% for 2019 (don't forget to check for this -especially if you have AV euro funds which deduct contributions from uncashed gains annually at source and sometimes show them in very small print. )
     The mills of the fisc obviously grind a little slower than those of God!

Good luck all,
     P.

Parsnips, you mean that we can claim for 2018 and a reduction for 2019?  If that is the case, could you please explain to some of us who are themselves clearly all at sea and who wait to hear what you have to say?

Thanks, Parsnips.  Bon dimanche[:)]

mint wrote the following post at 25 Oct 2020 10:35:

Parsnips, you mean that we can claim for 2018 and a reduction for 2019?

mint .. please don't get your hopes up too much.

Whilst it is truly great to hear from Parsnips (and I for one have hugely missed his well-considered advice) I was assured by our tax office .. (the senior bod himself) that they compute the years differently .. so my reclaim for years 2015/2016/2017 was relabelled by them as 2016, 2017 and 2018 .. this was when I queried their figures.

So when I queried their calculations is when I rec'd his highships word .. from 2018 (income declared in 2019) the soc charges were (legally) changed to the 7.5% solidarity charge .. which apparently we have to pay as residents of France.

So ditto for 2019 (declared in 2020) ..

Unless Parsnips has again worked his magic spell and discovered that this 7.5% solidary charge is smthg else that we don't have to pay .. for the moment.

Brexit looms large.

Hi,
    Maybe my post wasn't clear.

Sue is correct in what she says .

What I was pointing out was that , from experience , I have found that when I declared 2019* investment income myself on form 2042 it was correctly  subjected to only the 'legal' 7.5% (which , incidently , is still being disputed at Brussels).  However , where the CSG is taken at source , ie. taxable bank interest, and most glaringly AV euro funds, despite my writing demanding exemption from CSG and CRDS , the full 17.2% was taken in some cases.   I have just submitted a claim for around 500€ CSG and CRDS taken in error. 

In the case of some AV companies the annual prélèvement of social charges on uncashed gains in euro accounts is tucked away in very small print on the end of year statements. As these deductions do not appear anywhere on the Avis , I worry that some people may have been missing them since they became refundable in 2011.

(*income from property was subject to the 7.5% from 2018-but I have none. Social charges on non-real estate related income is fully refundable for 2018 income, so I would advise those affected, who haven't claimed, to do so before 31/12/2020)

• 1 month later...