I witnessed a funny episode earlier.

I called into the local Lidl (in UK) for bits and bobs and

there was a near riot. They have a special offer of lamb shanks for

£2.49 for just today and tomorrow. Apparently someone came along when

they opened at 8am this morning and bought the lot. People turning up

afterwards just to buy this offer were taking out their disappointment

on the (all foreign) check-out girls and muttering in little groups

about how disgraceful it was. Some of them were quite snobby sorts who

probably wouldn't admit to shopping at Lidl.

I have seen something similar in our nearest French supermarket - but that was a wine offer.

There is a tourist bar/restaurant in town run by a voyou, his massively overpriced culinary  à la maison offerings are croque monsieur and lasagna, I think you know where I am going with this!

He is one of the few others who does his shopping when I do between 1 and 2, me to avoid the crowds, he to not be seen, walking out with trays of stuff which they put together specially for him.

He also does the dawn raid when there are promos.

Mind you i did something similar, I eat a lot of sweet potatoes, its my staple feculant and they are really hard to find and cost a fortune when I do, except for when Lidl or Aldi occasionally have them, I recently bought the whole tray of 6KG from Aldi and she had to weigh them 4 or 5 at a time, this was again at 1 o clock so no dawn raid, they usually are still on the shelf a week or so later so I hope i didnt deprive anyone, one guy came up to ask what they were and how they should be cooked, eaten with what etc, I think he must have thought that I had stumbled on a bargain (I had) and didnt want to miss out.

I'm sure I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, that if a shop has a special offer for goods then they must supply them, even if they have temporarily run out, i.e. they must take names of people who want them and then, when stock is in, supply at that reduced price. Somehow that sticks in my mind, but I don't know where I read that.

Anyway, a few months ago we went to Aldi where there was a carton of 12 x bottles of maple syrups for 1.99 each ... normally 5euros or more anywhere else. Yes, we bought the lot, it was a one-off, even the cashier was examining them to work out what they were.

[quote user="Chancer"]... I eat a lot of sweet potatoes... I recently bought the whole tray of 6KG from Aldi... [/quote]

I bought some from Lidl this week (I was surprised to find them there).

As you eat so many of them, do you prepare them always the same way or do you have a variety of dishes you make with them?

No pretty boring really, I just microwave them and then bake the outside in the halogan oven, if I am cooking say chicken in the cast iron ribbed skillet I might cut them in half and sear them after microwaving, if I am using a poele they may go in there to finish.

The strange thing is all my life I have gotten fed up with things after a while but since I had hypnotherapy grace à someone on this forum (you know who you are and how indebted I am [:)]) I never seem to tire of something if it is healthy eating and likewise dont get tempted by less healthy foods.

I have eaten the same breakfast for a year now (porridge, fresh fruit, fromage blanc) and still régale each time I eat it, before after a week I would have been craving for a change.

I will try making bombay potatoes one day with sweet potatoes, I tried mash, it was OK but i dont like to waste the skins.

Mr. Nectarine loves it ... we have porridge in the morning, coked on the stove with just porridge oats and water. He sweetens it with maple syrup, not a lot, but it's surprising how much we get through.

Chancer, re. the hynotherapy .... Might I enquire about this? By PM perhaps. Thank you.

[quote user="nectarine"]... we have porridge in the morning, coked on the stove with just porridge oats and water. He sweetens it with maple syrup, not a lot, but it's surprising how much we get through.[/quote]

Same here, and it's just so delicious on plain yoghurt!

[quote user="nectarine"].Chancer, re. the hynotherapy .... Might I enquire about this? By PM

perhaps. Thank you.[/quote]

Same here...Please?

In the nearest town with supermarkets to where we have moved to in Lincs is a Lidl and we have been going in occassionally for the special non food offers.

Have had to educate my wife that it is no good going back the following week to see if they have had more in because they will not. In addition, dsepite reading through the leaflet that comes with the local paper that there are different offers on a Thursday AND Monday.

The other week they had sun loungers at £39.99. A couple of days later there were some on eBay at £189.99!!!!!!

Paul

oh that reminds me when, in the UK, they had a special on motorcycle intercom kits. Very basic, just ear and mouthpiece, x2, with a central control unit. About £6 I remember, so I bought a few thinking they wouldn't last very long.

Anyway, used them, good value, quite sturdy so put the remainder on Ebay. However, there were plenty of them, brand new, for sale at £6 starting bid price with just the basic description and the stock photo.

So I put mine on at £7 starting bid, but put a photo I'd taken and, instead of the standard description, wrote something along the lines of "I bought a few of these and they are really comfortable, very good, etc" and a chatty bit about the quality. So, amongst the listings, my ad stood out a bit .... row upon row of standard Lidl intercom pictures and then mine.

Well, bidding went up to £12 plus postage, and I sold two at that price. Despite that the identical items, with stock photo, were not bid upon as far as I could see.

I'm still not sure how that all happened, but guess people thought 'my' product was different or better to the Lidl one although I clearly stated it was a standard Lidl intercom. Very odd, but to my benefit.