Spa day out........ massage etc

idun

I seem to know more and more women in England who are being offered this as a gift, in fact my son's girfriend mentioned that she would get one for me. I do hope that she does not, I told her that I am not interested in such things.

This is not for me at all in fact there are probably thousands of other things I would rather do that have good money wasted on something like that. And that is how it feels to me, wasting good money.

As my son's girlfriend is french, living in France, is this a gift that is offered regularly these days in France? And is it going down well?

I know so little about it, maybe it is for men too, although I have never heard of a man being offered a spa day out, or having gone to one.

idun, this is nothing knew, as Spa days are very popular in the UK, being a large growth industry for some years, becoming a must have for many hotels. Whilst it may not be your thing, it is very popular amongst the fairer sex and indeed the gents have been known to partake!

Nothing new at all and I am not convinced that it is particularly French? In fact, my dear husband (not French) has been trying to give me this for years and I always end up saying no thank you - although I am sure I would love it, in the end I do think it is such a waste of money...

Mind you, I remember my niece's boyfriend (both French) presented her with a "relooking" voucher for her 26th or 27th birthday (!!!!!). Afterwards they took photos of her tarted up (she ended up looking not at all like herself:  instead of a naturally beautiful, vibrant, mischievous, young woman, after the "relooking" all her features had been smoothed out so that she was looking like a little Barbie doll) - it was all very odd how pleased they all were. 

Now, ten years and 3 daughters later, I am sure she would love a day at a spa!!!

The only time I have had anything like it (and usually only the massage bit...as someone once said, you can't polish a turd) is in places like Turkey and Egypt or the Far East. In Turkey and the Far East, a few really good massages have made me feel like I was walking on air. The one I had in Egypt left me with an all-but-paralysed left arm for about a month....

I had one of these as a surprise gift a few years back. I almost died of boredom. Now, if I had been given two tickets and could have taken one of my friends so we could have done some serious talking, it would have been much more fun.

Hoddy

Very popular here in this neck of the woods - Thalassotherapy centres but more for aches and pains than vanity. Me, not my cup of tea being caked in mud when I can get that for free or being hosed down with cold water, only need to clean the car! Think I would rather spend the money on one of those massaging kits you strap to an armchair that they sell in Darty, I sat there for ages loving the pumelling balls travelling up and down my back and no mess either!

Massage therapy done properly is very beneficial and can assist with pain management and stress for example with cancer patients. Also muscular problems can be treated very effectively with massage therapy, once skeletal issues have been discounted.

I read somewhere that the profussion of Thalassotherapy centres in France is very much down to the fact that they are very much part of the French health care culture, with treatments being prescribed by doctors on the French health service. 

The only massage I've ever had was in India. We were stayig in Orchhra & the hotel manager asked if anyone wanted a massage. Thought I'd be bruised all over by the time she'd finished & smelt like a well dubbin'd football. Never again!!

I am quite stunned by the number of negative reactions to the notion of massage -  surely, it is not to massage in general, but to those pseudo relaxing massages,  which are superficial, and probably good insofar as they provide a "me" space for someone who needs it - but also when a person just needs some good old human physical contact (I am thinking of the very old, who often have no human physical contact at all, and people who live alone and stay alone most of the time).

There are so many different kinds of massage! Surely, just having a random massage by a random person, is not going to give a very complete and accurate representation of  massage! Look at athletes, how much they value their "soigneur" - nothing like a good massage to ease many aches and pains - provided the masseur/masseuse really know what they are doing.

Massage (even if it's only foot massage) is also wonderful for the very ill, it can be used when a person's body is too damaged for any other kind of body massage. It is so therapeutic, in all sorts of circumstances. It is and has been used for centuries all over the world, in most cultures! I am with Sprogster here!

OK, I will own up, I love massage (not the wimpy kind, but the therapeutic kind!), with a well-trained, experienced, sensitive masseur/masseuse who really knows their job. [:)]

My chinese accupunturist gave me a chinese massage on my upper arm. I was literally screaming the place down. I was in a lot of pain whilst he was doing it and had bad bruises for over a week.

On my following visit as soon as he touched me I screamed, and I just could not support the chinese massage again. He reluctantly gave me a 'normal' massage saying that it would do little good.

The thing was that after the first massage my shoulder did start to feel a lot better. I'm still not sure if he deplaced the pain, because my upper arm hurt so much, or it worked.

Now if someone offered me zorbing, I'd be off to do that without any hesitation.

There was a nice woman who used to pop up from time to time during my chemo and massage my feet.  Yes, it was nice, but I wouldn't say it exactly cured my cancer.  Also, being French and quite chatty, she spent more time waving her arms about (unable to speak otherwise, natch) than with her hands actually touching me.  I'm sure there's a real benefit for some and I could hardly say I objected but I'm not convinced.  Maybe these things work less well on cynics?

My physio' used to massage my knee but I'm sure that it was the exercises that did the most good.  But the rest from all the hard work was a bit of a relief!