Are you sitting comfortably ?

Russethouse

[quote user="Quillan"]Oh dear, sad to say I do. I also remember the Goons, The Clithero Kid and The Navy Lark.[/quote]

If my mother didn't like something we weren't allowed to listen so I only remember The Navy Lark out of those three... my mother could get from the kitchen in double quick time between 'Two way Family Favorites and the Billy Cotton Band Show ! (Wakey - Wakey !!!) on a Sunday.

Our listening fare was mainly Housewives Choice, Childrens Favorites with Uncle Mac, Womans Hour and Listen with Mother.....

Similarly we were never allowed to watch ITV, we were strictly a 'BBC' household....until she discovered 'Crossroads'[blink]

Ah those were the days - only one radio in the house. I was allowed to listen to the Goon Show, I think life at school would have been impossible if we hadn't heard the last one. My father's verdict was that it was 'too b****y daft to laugh at', but I loved it.

Hoddy

[quote user="Quillan"]Oh dear, sad to say I do. I also remember the Goons, The Clithero Kid and The Navy Lark.[/quote] Oh yes I remember them all. Also Round the Horne and MovieGoRound.

I rember Listen with Mother from the very early fifties. I suspect I wasone of the first listeners and I always associated Daphne Oxenford  with the program.

Before I had my first transistor radio I had a crystal set which I strung the aerial made from unwinding a transformer coil and used hid it under the bedclothes, put these, what seemed, massive headphones on (complete with cotton covered wires!) and listen to all sorts of stuff. Then there was a massive breakthrough, Radio Caroline which I also used to listen to under the bed cloths. Happy and innocent childhood days. The first time I tried to play the drums was to the Beatles (She Loves You), I did get better eventually. [;-)]

[quote user="idun"]Radio, well my grandmother had 'rediffusion', a huge 'radio' in a wooden case. And we had the 'wireless'. And we were allowed to listen to all the comedies, I'm pleased to say. I never understood The Goons.[/quote]

Ehh by gum lass, Goons was not for up north. Didnt you have the Clitheroe Kid instead!!!!

I too was brought up on "listen with mother" and remember Daphne Oxenford well. There was opening tune that might have been from The Dolly Suite" and a part maybe at the end of that to which my sisters and I fitted some strange words (read here slightly rude for our young minds[:$])

[quote user="idun"]Radio, well my grandmother had 'rediffusion', a huge 'radio' in a wooden case. And we had the 'wireless'. And we were allowed to listen to all the comedies, I'm pleased to say. I never understood The Goons.[/quote]

So you don't remember their roving reporter Hugh Jampton, [:D] or when they towed a full sized replica of the UK out to sea so the Germans would bomb it instead of the real UK, unfortunatly the plan didn't work as well as they hoped, the Germans dropped cardboard bombs onto it! [:D]

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="Quillan"]Oh dear, sad to say I do. I also remember the Goons, The Clithero Kid and The Navy Lark.[/quote]

If my mother didn't like something we weren't allowed to listen so I only remember The Navy Lark out of those three... my mother could get from the kitchen in double quick time between 'Two way Family Favorites and the Billy Cotton Band Show ! (Wakey - Wakey !!!) on a Sunday.

Our listening fare was mainly Housewives Choice, Childrens Favorites with Uncle Mac, Womans Hour and Listen with Mother.....

Similarly we were never allowed to watch ITV, we were strictly a 'BBC' household....until she discovered 'Crossroads'[blink]

[/quote]

Yes, Uncle Mac and the song about 'little boy fisahing off a wooden pier, come fish, bite fish, swim along here'.

Groan - Billy Cottons Band Show.

Do children nowadays have Listen and Watch with Mother - Rag Tag and Bobtail and the terrible things that Andy Pandy, Teddy and Loopy Lou used to get up to in that basket!

The Goons - absolute nonsense and absolutely superb.

Where we used to live our local pub had recordings of the Navy Lark playing in the loo - do not suppose I would be allowed to rig up a recorder and loudspeaker in our loo.

[quote user="NormanH"]I was potty trained to those words. I had to answer 'Norman is'
On the following line 'then I'll begin' I had to.....begin[:$]

I believe that this has had an effect on my appreciation of popular culture for life [:)]
[/quote]

Norman, were you ever potty trained. Some doubt I feel![:$]

Perhaps' housetrained' is a better word?

Sing something simple, my dad loved it.

Meet the Huggets, Clitheroe Kid, .....many of the programmes already mentioned, and then....... my big brother discovered Radio Luxembourg. I think it  only broadcast in the evenings, we kids used to crowd round the wireless to hear the scratchy sound, groaning when the sound faded as it did regularly. That was our introduction to "pop" music.

We didn't have a TV until I was about 14.

But what about "Educating Archie" ?? The ventriloquist on the radio!! That takes some doing. [:D]

We didn't get a TV until I was about 11, so it was all "wireless" for our house. "Journey into Space" !! Loved it.

Whenever there was a knock at the door, my mum would wonder who it was, and he'd say "It's Dick Barton, Special Agent".