UK - In or Out of the EU?

Gardian

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]By coincidence, today heralds the dawn of a new piece of legislation, brought in thanks to the UK's membership of the EU, which has reduced mobile phone costs intra-EU by a substantial amount, and which should see roaming charges ultimately disappear altogether. Not much in the great scheme of things, but does anyone really think we'd have this if it had been up to the UK alone to legislate?

[/quote]

Why not? others have done it according to Wilkipedia

"Currently roaming regulation is applied to and within 31 countries, all members of the European Economic Area (EEA). These consist of the 28 EU members, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway."

But to be a member of the EEA means, as somebody else pointed out, you pay the same to the EU as a full member and you MUST accept EU legislation but you have no say. That will be how the UK will have to trade with the EU if it leaves.

I believe this is one that the Ukipers voted against or didn't bother. Nice to see them looking after the UK interests (not).

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="NormanH"][quote user="NickP"][quote user="NormanH"]It seems to me that some of those who want the UK out of the EU  don't want an independent Scotland, although I may have misread this.

[/quote] Bit like the British who are now residents of France and Spain, who only want what it good for them, and to hell with the wishes of 60odd million in the UK. Independence for England would be my choice.

[/quote]

I don't see the parallel..

[/quote] No you wouldn't

[/quote]

because there isn't one [:D] and if there were I doubt you would be able to articulate it..

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="NickP"][quote user="NormanH"][quote user="NickP"][quote user="NormanH"]It seems to me that some of those who want the UK out of the EU  don't want an independent Scotland, although I may have misread this.

[/quote] Bit like the British who are now residents of France and Spain, who only want what it good for them, and to hell with the wishes of 60odd million in the UK. Independence for England would be my choice.

[/quote]

I don't see the parallel..

[/quote] No you wouldn't

[/quote]

because there isn't one [:D] and if there were I doubt you would be able to articulate it..

[/quote]

Funny how when people are losing it they resort to insults. OK, I may not be as educated as you, but I'm good mannered enough not to mention your inadequacies. 

[quote user="andyh4"]UK selling less and less to the EU. Well that is good news then only 49.6% of our exports at risk from tariffs. That makes me feel very comfortable - not.[/quote]

It appears that somehow exports that are sent out from the UK to EU ports to be stuck on a ship there in  order to be forwarded out of the EU to none EU countries end up on the EU statistics as exported to the EU ...... A bit daft when its just passing through so that makes the 49% not accurate .

[quote user="nomoss"]FAYI - VAT rules

[url]http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/international/exports/goods.htm#6[/url]

[/quote]

I thought I knew the answer to this but wanted to check first and had to wait for a reply. Your link is for the 'front end' and at the back end as far as EU countries are concerned HMRC then claim the VAT back in bulk.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]By coincidence, today heralds the dawn of a new piece of legislation, brought in thanks to the UK's membership of the EU, which has reduced mobile phone costs intra-EU by a substantial amount, and which should see roaming charges ultimately disappear altogether. Not much in the great scheme of things, but does anyone really think we'd have this if it had been up to the UK alone to legislate?

[/quote]

Why not? others have done it according to Wilkipedia

"Currently roaming regulation is applied to and within 31 countries, all members of the European Economic Area (EEA). These consist of the 28 EU members, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway."[/quote]

Just look at what happens when you cross the border into Switzerland: you get a text saying that the call charges are £1 per minute.

[quote user="NickP"]Why are you surprised? The Swiss are the biggest money grabbing barstewards in the world. Although that's by the by; as if you can afford to holiday in Switzerland you can afford high prices. [:D]

[/quote]

I was "just passing through"! Thought I'd go past and wave to all the German savings that fled from the Euro into the Swiss Franc ...

[quote user="Frederick"][quote user="andyh4"]UK selling less and less to the EU. Well that is good news then only 49.6% of our exports at risk from tariffs. That makes me feel very comfortable - not.[/quote]

It appears that somehow exports that are sent out from the UK to EU ports to be stuck on a ship there in  order to be forwarded out of the EU to none EU countries end up on the EU statistics as exported to the EU ...... A bit daft when its just passing through so that makes the 49% not accurate .

[/quote] Well I have rechecked Frederick, and your source is (as I thought) talking rubbish. Which is logical since the Intrastat and Extrastat declarations have to be exact for VAT reasons. Anything sold within the EU requires VAT payment or declaration of the purchasers' VAT number. Anything exported (even indirectly through a non-UK port) is VAT exempt, but will require an export declaration from the customer and signed by the EU customs authority on export.

Well as B0ll0ck$ goes it is well written B0ll0ck$. At least one of the critical links does not work.

The "Rotterdam effect" is attributed to exports from Australia to the EU and is then automatically rejigged to include exports from the EU to the world.

That is B0ll0ck$ - total B0ll0ck$.

As my post above hints Intra- and Extra-stats are the basis used for movements within and outside of the EU. They are about as reliable as any stats can be for the simple reason that VAT charges are based on these numbers and exports outside of the EU are not VAT chargeable. To try and hide the numbers would result in real export customers being charged VAT - which would make the export 20% uncompetitive.

I can assure you that this area is very heavily policed by the EU authorities. We had examples of customers from outside the EU buying product and collecting at the factory gates. The material was supposed to be exported and the buyer was required to provide a proof of export when the goods left EU. In some cases no proof of export was provided and the authorities charged us the missing VAT. The system is that powerful that it can and does track a single lorry load - probably less but we never sold below truckload levels.

There is a Rotterdam effect, but it is not that which is being presented in your link.

Rotterdam and Antwerp are full of trading companies. On occasion we would sell to these companies, knowing that they would export our goods to countries where we had no sales presence and where they had specific expertise. The sale shows as an EU sale - as it should - we sold to an EU company in R/A. What they then do with the goods is their business - in every sense of the expression. However this cannot distort UK stats by more than a faction of a percentage point.